2.2 Froyo Battery ChargeSupport

Last Updated:

1. wonj

wonj New Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone noticed that it's taking a very long time to charge your battery on the updated 2.2 OS? It usually took me about 2 - 2.5 hours for a full charge. My first charge since the update is taking 4+ hours and counting and still not at 100%.

Advertisement
  2. callmeox

callmeox Well-Known Member

I am seeing the same time increase when charging since the 2.2 OTA was pushed to me.

3. Reverence

Reverence Well-Known Member

Maybe the battery is actually charging fully now. Right on the USB tag it says that the phone should take 4 hours to fully charge.

4. crazyg0od33

crazyg0od33 Well-Known Member

its not. You still need to bump charge.

jayochs likes this.
  5. Trooper

Trooper Well-Known Member

+1

Shame it was not fixed though.

6. callmeox

callmeox Well-Known Member

If you Google for an answer to this, you will find that it is an issue on other phones with 2.2 as well. It sounds like a widespread change in behavior from 2.1.

7. jayochs

jayochs Well-Known Member

nothing but problems in 2.2. oh what fun.

i've got this same issue, too.

8. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

I've had a theory about this before. It is possible they have decreased the maximum charge to help prolong the batteries life. ( the slower you charge the battery, the less degradation you will get. )

Also, it seems most if not all the people with this problem did either the OTA or manual update.zip and therefore have not had a factory reset. I haven't been able to take my phone through a normal cycle, so I can't confirm if a wiped phone charges in less time. ( It could be something is running the CPU harder than normal, and is therefore eating more of the power during charge...making it take longer. )

9. pjspdx

pjspdx Member

Yeah I noticed this too. My guess is it was done to prevent overheating when charging.

10. millrat1030

millrat1030 Active Member

After I installed OTA I had to do a factory reset do to browser issues. Even after that I see the same battery issue. I have the extended battery, had it on the charger at work for almost 5 hours and it was only charged to 45 percent. Weird thing is it also lost it's charge very quickly for about an hour. Within that hour I made a 15 min phone call, a few texts, and surfed the web for 5 mins. It went from 45 percent to 17 percent and then stayed at 17 for over 2 hrs. Put it on the charger when I got home to see what happens when I go through a full cycle.

11. Holydoc

Holydoc Well-Known Member

Nothing but problems? Bluetooth is now totally Hands-free. Grounding flaw when phone is docked but not plugged in, fixed. Flash 10.1 native. 720p video. etc...etc...

If this is nothing but problems, GIVE ME MORE PROBLEMS! Woo Hoo!

12. jayochs

i don't use bluetooth; i never had a grounding flaw; nevre cared much about flash; 720p quality is awful.

i had nothing but problems since upgrading. i factory reset last night, so now i'm going to see if my batt life/temperature is any better, along with seeing if my weather widget works correctly

13. Holydoc

Holydoc Well-Known Member

Hmm... Maybe you like the new flashy things: More and Improved Widgets, New Active Wallpaper, Droid like boot-up.

Your problems could be associated with the new functionality such as Landscape mode both ways or the ability to bring up last used 8 apps.

Finally, Speaking of Flashy... don't forget the new app Flashlight! Those three levels of brightness spells out trouble to me. *winks*

Seriously, I hope you do get your DINC working as smooth as mine. This update was nothing but AWESOME to me. Hopefully your factory reset will fix most if not all of your problems.

14. RINGTONE JOE

RINGTONE JOE New Member

Yeah I was telling a friend about mine taking along time to charge. I had this phone for an week i came from the pre i think i might be taking this phone back, because the battery life sucks and it takes to long to charge. If there is any way to get around this please post up before i take this THING BACK.:D Thanks

15. zemerick

That actually sounds more like the calibration data was lost, so it is like when you first got the phone. Give it a couple complete cycles and see how it goes.

16. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

My phone has been on the charger since 12:45pm (EDT). It finally finished charging from 30% to 100% at 3:45pm. I have now had it bump charging for 45 minutes, and still no green light. Also I did a factory reset shortly after upgrading via the manual option yesterday, so that didn't help. The charge rate has definitely gone down. As a result, the phone IS noticeably cooler after being on the charger for almost 4 hours than usual.

17. jayochs

after the factory reset, my battery is still pretty bad. also, the HTC weather widget "current location" problem seems to me that when on 3G with a lower signal, for some reason 2.2 can't tell where you are anymore like 2.1 could. once i put wifi on, it gave me my city. that's pretty annoying, because i don't always use wifi. this should be fixed asap

18. SynisterWolf

SynisterWolf Well-Known Member

i like the longer charge. i can throw it on the charger at night and not have to worry about trickle charge. (i do have the upgraded 1750 so it takes about 6 hours) but i get a full days use out of it. i can get about 12 hours awake out of heavy use) i am also rooted and have cutsome ROM and Kernel.

19. kayst

kayst Well-Known Member

I think something is definitely running the CPU harder. If you bring up System Panel and look at the CPU cycles, it never gets below 600 or so, and keeps going up to max. On 2.1, about 4 secs after starting System Panel the cycle would drop down to around 200 and stay there unless you scrolled the screen. Also, my phone is running much hotter. I upgraded with update.zip and have not done a system reset. I'm waiting until I finish Alchemy before I wipe everything.

20. wonj

wonj New Member This Topic's Starter

My charging time definitely improved on the second charge. I think a few more charging cycles should bring it back to normal.

21. Mahalo

Mahalo Well-Known Member

22. jtcarnes

jtcarnes Well-Known Member

Lots of us who have been running 2.2 ROMs since they became available have been having this issue for a long time. I actually lose battery power now when running ONLY Nav and charging off AC.

23. DROIDdidME

DROIDdidME Well-Known Member

I got froyo last night and today I'm just realizing this problem with the slow ass battery charging. My Incredible used to charge very fast and now it's crawling!

For as fast as the battery drains, taking the phone 4 or 5 hours to fully charge is not acceptable...Now our phones are REALLY going to be living on the charger.

I want to go back to 2.1

24. JoeIncredible

JoeIncredible Active Member

+1

25. zemerick

That is the correct charge time actually. It even says right on the cable "Standard batteries: 4.0 hours Extended batteries: 5.0 hours"

Still working on figuring out why some people have increased drain. Some were the ol' awake bug coming back, but others it just seems like Android is going berserk and using huge amounts of power.