1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

2.2 Froyo for the Captivate Discussion

1. lotreaglesfan

lotreaglesfan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Samsung confirms Galaxy S will get Froyo in September -- Engadget

p.s. - you should click thank you ;) hehe

EDIT: I look back on this post and lmao and then I :\ lol

Advertisement
  2. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Twitter feeds also lead us to believe the off-contract price would be $350.
    mavenh likes this.
  3. solidkevin

solidkevin Well-Known Member

lol are you new to the internet or something? Thats the farthest from a "burn" ive ever seen....
  4. blazeplacid

blazeplacid Well-Known Member

september in the UK

any idea on dates in the US?
  5. MassacrMan

MassacrMan Well-Known Member

Probably around December.
  6. skinien

skinien Well-Known Member

haha... it was a joke.
  7. lotreaglesfan

lotreaglesfan Well-Known Member

sorry they posted the news in a different "forum/board" which i didn't see until after I posted this...
  8. When does 2.2 come out for the captivate and what will the benefits be over 2.1
  9. Do you know how much faster?
  10. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

its impossible to tell exactly how much faster, but it uses a JIT compiler which will speed up the phone in about every way. it will also allow all 512mb of ram to be used as i think it only uses half of that now. it also allows flash 10.1 so that will be available for web browsing. theres alot more i cant think of off the top of my head
  11. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

12. Gipson

Gipson Well-Known Member

why doesn't this guy just do a simple search?
    lazy
  13. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

He's a nOobie. So I'll give him a break!
    pac0naut and EarlyMon like this.
  14. idilium

idilium Well-Known Member

he is doing it by asking here in a forum where people ask questions

do a search to see why people use forums dont be lazy
    no.guru and Simba501 like this.
  15. alphadog00

alphadog00 Well-Known Member

16. looksbetterinred

looksbetterinred Well-Known Member

I'm still fuzzy on how rooted phones wil handle this. Will it unroot them? If it OTA, will rooted phones not get it and have to download it? This is my first android phone, so still learning.
  17. sremick

If you are rooted it is likely you will be unable to apply the official packagage and will have to wait for a special 2.2 package designed specifically for you by the hacking community.

OTA updates assume standard configs that will not vary at all in certain ways. Rooted (and lag-fixed) phones break this assumption, causing OTA updates to not apply at all if they detect it (if you're lucky), or breaking things in unpredictable ways if they do install.
    looksbetterinred likes this.
  18. looksbetterinred

looksbetterinred Well-Known Member

NOt a warm feeling about that. It took me 3 days to muddle through rooting it. :( Thanks for the info though!!
  19. 3gAndroid

3gAndroid Well-Known Member

+1

A little courtesy goes a long ways.
    Simba501 and EarlyMon like this.
  20. lordfly911

lordfly911 Well-Known Member

If we unroot, get the official 2.2 update, are we going to be able to re-root? I was reading that rooting may not be possible after the update.

Personally I am going to stay rooted and just wait and see. Let everyone else give it a try for a month before taking the plunge.
  21. sremick

No way to really tell, as the official 2.2 update hasn't been released so no one knows.

Also worth mentioning that some people have had problems un-rooting.
  22. kchip187

kchip187 Member

I got the KIES from searching Samsung's international sites. It seems to work ok, but when I go to Update 'Firmware' its says my phone is locked and unable to 'update'. Is the firmware update they describe the OS update to 2.2? Also, is there anyone out there running 2.2 on their Captivate already?