• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.2 Froyo for the Captivate Discussion

If we unroot, get the official 2.2 update, are we going to be able to re-root? I was reading that rooting may not be possible after the update.

Personally I am going to stay rooted and just wait and see. Let everyone else give it a try for a month before taking the plunge.

People trying out the 2.2 developer builds for the international Galaxy S have a root option - and it works with the captivate kernel, so we should be able to root a 2.2 captivate without much trouble.

Upvote 0
FWIW, when I was testing an EVO 4G and Nexus One, going to Froyo (2.2) gave a noticeable boost in everything that used java. Benchmarks place it at up to a 500% increase in Java operations using the new VM architecture.

That's not to say that your phone will be 500% faster. However, having owned two phones that went there, and now seeing how fast the Galaxy S can be, trust me you will not be disappointed on performance.

And Launcher Pro + Beautiful Widgets makes me forget about the "prettier" Sense UI that my EVO had! Starting to really like my Captivate (now that I have one with a functioning GPS).

Upvote 0
... Starting to really like my Captivate (now that I have one with a functioning GPS).

I only have my 3gs iPhone to compare GPS to. Are any of the Captivate GPS's working as well as my old 3GS iPhone's?

Even with the fix, it does not seem to be very good and I am concerned about getting too far away from my purchase date before complaining.

Thanx!

zeddock

Upvote 0
why doesn't this guy just do a simple search?
lazy

badkitty.gif

Upvote 0
If you haven't run across this yet, it is worth checking out, it is easy to do and has worked very well for me. It is a quick work-around fix for the GPS issue.

Welcome to the forum, but you made a very poor choice for a first post. A little reading would've revealed why.

That "fix" is spammed a few dozen times a day to the boards and weeks ago was debunked as not really being a "fix" at all. There are no shortage of threads explaining why in more detail than I have the energy to repeat here.

Upvote 0
No one will know until Samsung releases the patch. We have no idea what they deem to be wrong with the GPS. If they put out a bandaid, then no, it probably wont. However, if they rewrite the driver, then yes, it probably will.

The GPS chip in the phone is very powerful, and a step above the one in the iPhone 3GS, but the software was poorly implemented.

Reactions: zeddock
Upvote 0
...once FIXED, will the Captivate's GPS be comparable to those in other phones, and for me... to compare... should I expect it to be as good as iPhone? Or am I being pulled along until it is too late to get a replacement?

Probably the latter.

However, the iPhone doesn't even have a 'real' GPS environment, since data connectivity is always required to deliver map segments as you move around.

If the Captivate's GPS ends up working as well as the iPhone 3 series, and has the advantages of Google Navigation with voice, I'll consider it superior.

My GF has an iPhone 3G and iPhone 4 and I have the Captivate and a Nokia 5800 Navigator. We both use the Garmin 1490 in the car. I have yet to see a phone based GPS that is the equal of a decent standalone GPS.

Upvote 0
Probably the latter.

However, the iPhone doesn't even have a 'real' GPS environment, since data connectivity is always required to deliver map segments as you move around.

If the Captivate's GPS ends up working as well as the iPhone 3 series, and has the advantages of Google Navigation with voice, I'll consider it superior.

My GF has an iPhone 3G and iPhone 4 and I have the Captivate and a Nokia 5800 Navigator. We both use the Garmin 1490 in the car. I have yet to see a phone based GPS that is the equal of a decent standalone GPS.

I DLed TomTom on the iPhone and it has the map segments included so data connectivity was not required with that app, and also shows that iPhone DOES have a 'real' GPS environment, as it showed my position as I traveled outside of cell service. I am not sure what you were trying to point out.

I "feel" like my Captivate, while using Google Maps app, has done a better job at downloading the map segments that will be necessary when I ask it for directions. That is definitely a plus if not just an hallucination! <laughs>

Upvote 0
I love how every thread will always have some mention to the GPS issue!

Yeah, just like a car with a broken transmission would have folks mentioning that in every thread. :)

Broken GPS is a Major Major problem. If I could buy a case and fix this issue I'd be fine with it, but there is nothing I can do.

If the issue isn't fixed before my 30 days are up, I have to return the phone I just need reliable GPS too much.

Upvote 0
Hi Folks,

I coming from a N900 family, trying to merge myself with the Android community was wondering - what are the pros and cons if I get a Samsung Captivate (Unlocked). How do I upgrade to 2.2 if i get it unlocked. How are the software updates pushed, is it on air or is the carrier who pushed the updates? I want an Android phone with good processing speed, apps, multimedia, good resolution, and which will keep me updated with every days world.

First I was thinking of SE X10 but looks like they are still in Android 1.6 which kinda turned me off.

Any suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
2.2 is rumored to be released later this month-maybe. But probably not. It most likely will come ota. The captivate is a pretty nice choice, even without 2.2. Must likely froyo (2.2) will first be released on other carriers for their galaxy s phones. Att will likely drag their feet, and we will see ported versions first

Reactions: gabby131 and z21
Upvote 0
Yeah, just like a car with a broken transmission would have folks mentioning that in every thread. :)

Broken GPS is a Major Major problem. If I could buy a case and fix this issue I'd be fine with it, but there is nothing I can do.

If the issue isn't fixed before my 30 days are up, I have to return the phone I just need reliable GPS too much.

GPS isn't quite as important as a transmission in your car. You can still make calls on the phone and do most everything else. My GPS actually works just fine for as little as I use it.

If GPS is that detrimental to your survival, then buy a dedicated GPS unit.

Upvote 0
talkin bout froyo on captivate, is there someone here knows an alternative update aside from OTA? Will Kies do the job?

why im askin coz i got my captivate last week. its an AT&T version SIM unlocked device, so everything inside is AT&T. im located in Canada so its not possible for OTA coz the update uses AT&T server.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones