• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.2 Froyo for the Captivate Discussion

If Samsung had any plans on improving their image with their release of the Galaxy S line, they FAILED! This is making them look like a bunch of idiots!!!

They certainly appear to have failed with this. I am losing my faith in this.
As much as people like to hate on HTC Aria for being a small phone, at least it's a fully functional phone.

Upvote 0
We knew this already. At least those of us who paid attention.

True. I had faith though. And still do. Samsung hasn't failed at anything yet. Sure I had higher hopes and more optimism but really they can still deliver. Remember they said in the very beginning 2.2 late 2010. Them not living up to rumors and speculation and tweets from DIFFERENT countries means nothing. They are being as tight lipped and ambiguous as every other company.

Upvote 0
i think people are alittle too excited over froyo, have you read peoples comments on phones that already have the update? alot of them are having more problems now then they were. id rather them take their time than rush it out with lots of problems, its still just about the fastest phone out there

Actually, it runs great on my nexus, and has since release day. I think you are referencing the Evo issues, and I think many of them were issues with the Sense overlay (system was calling a process that was in a different location due to sense's "spl" or partitioning of the system files). It made the nexus a beast, and generally the Evo is a beast now too, I can't wait for it to hit the Galaxy S phones (although, given Samsung's history with Android I won't hold my breath)...

Upvote 0
Actually, it runs great on my nexus, and has since release day. I think you are referencing the Evo issues, and I think many of them were issues with the Sense overlay (system was calling a process that was in a different location due to sense's "spl" or partitioning of the system files). It made the nexus a beast, and generally the Evo is a beast now too, I can't wait for it to hit the Galaxy S phones (although, given Samsung's history with Android I won't hold my breath)...

yea im talking mainly about the evo and i believe the droid had problems as well

Upvote 0
can anyone post a link where samsumg said that froyo will be in September?
or why are you people blaming samsumg for some thing they never said?

SamsungUK as in United Kingdom said September for all Galaxy S phones. They could have been referring to ALL phones worldwide or just UK ones. The rumor was that it was ALL Galaxy S phones...which is wishful thinking IMHO.

*EDIT* Here's link: http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/30/samsung-confirms-galaxy-s-will-get-froyo-in-september/

Reactions: jeremytanner
Upvote 0
can anyone post a link where samsumg said that froyo will be in September?
or why are you people blaming samsumg for some thing they never said?

Agreed. Reading this forum, you would think Samsung had promised all sorts of things in September.

1) Froyo was not promised to US customers in September. It was merely promised for galaxy S phones. Thus, carriers may indeed get it, but there is NO official information on when that will come. ANY date is speculation.

2) GPS "optimization" was promised in September. Again, Samsung may well fulfill their obligation there by giving it to the carriers. Whether we'll get it right away from them, that's another story.

3) Receiving an update in a given month does not preclude other updates coming in that month. Assuming that Samsung will not produce two updates in one month is speculation. I like to think it's educated speculation, but we could get surprised.

4) For a company to roll out 4 new phones to 4 new carriers, then turn around within a couple or three months and produce a major firmware update to fix issues, this is not poor customer service. Even if they miss their target by a month, it's highly likely that missing the date means they don't have it fixed yet. This doesn't mean they aren't working on it.

I want the GPS fix, too. And I don't mind putting some verbal pressure on Samsung so they know how we feel. But I also fear a rushed fix that doesn't solve the problem, or causes other problems. A few more weeks isn't going to kill me (as long as I remember to not rely solely on the GPS -- see: The Office.)

Upvote 0
Samsung should have been better prepared to handle the all carrier promise. That is no excuse for not delivering fixes or communicating with its user base more efficiently. For the most part, these phones all have a lot in common. If the GPS is not fixed soon, I can see the meltdown coming. I can wait for Froyo but the GPS and lag fixes need to come soon.

Upvote 0
And there my friends is the REAL problem.

But have they actually broken any promises yet?

And if not, what communications have they failed in? They told us they would give us Froyo. They told us they would optimize the GPS. Once they fail one of those, I would think further communication necessary. Otherwise, we're faulting them for not communicating when they have.

Upvote 0
And there my friends is the REAL problem.

I agree, they could be more proactive in communication. I feel bad for Leah (@GalaxySsupport), they kind of throw her to the wolves (us) without much information. At least they could officially come out weekly on their website or something with like a press release or something and say that they are working on the issue, that they have hit this or that snag and are ironing it out. Openness would quiet a lot of the disgruntlement we feel, and instead of harboring (and seemingly ignoring) a bunch of complaints and probably lost sales, people would have more confidence in them.

I mean, when I get the same canned response everytime I ask about the issue (or anything to do with the issue) that does not instill confidence on my part that they are taking it seriously. I understand they have no commitment to us for communication, but it would actually benefit them to. This silent approach creates doubt and fear, which are not good. If I were CEO of AT&T, I would be ticked off at Samsung about their silence because it creates more headaches for me, then I look bad pointing the finger to them. Its just a bad PR model, and they would have a more successful image with more openness. And given their record with updating Android (or lack thereof), they have to know that the Android Community is leary of them to begin with...

Upvote 0
That Twitter account is a joke, Leah repeats the same answer 10 times a week. Also, regarding openness, how about actually posting what the root cause of the GPS failure is on their website. What is their to hide, post a techie response and not just a we are aware of the problem one. Keep in mind that it's not just the Captivate but the entire Galaxy S line that has the issue. How can you start in Europe then work your way to the US and still not have the GPS issue or other bugs fixed by now. Then to upset the user base even more, start pushing a tablet based on the phone with all the things your phone community wants. We have yet to discover whether or not the Galaxy Tab has a broken GPS but I would not doubt it.

Upvote 0
But have they actually broken any promises yet?

And if not, what communications have they failed in? They told us they would give us Froyo. They told us they would optimize the GPS. Once they fail one of those, I would think further communication necessary. Otherwise, we're faulting them for not communicating when they have.

I didn't say they broke any promises. As to your 2nd question would you say that Samsung has "communicat[ed] with its user base...efficiently"??? I didn't say they weren't communicating but I definitely would say it's not efficient or at all what it should be. That's the point I was making. If Samsung was frank with us and gave us updates on the actual state of currently being worked on updates would any of these threads even be here? They can be vague etc etc but just communicate!! The only actual concrete anything we have from Samsung USA about froyo 2.2 is "later this year" THAT IS IT. Even a twit or whatever it's called (I don't use twitter) that said "We are still working on update blah blah and hope to meet our deadline but we want to make sure we get it right so we may miss it." Just honesty. It's the not knowing what's going on that is driving everyone crazy. What's the key ingredient in any relationship? Effective communication. And that was my point.

**EDIT** I didn't see s.m.knipe's post above until after I made this post. Sorry I pretty much just repeated what he said. Nice post s.m.knipe's!! Couldn't agree with you more.

Upvote 0
It's not that people are going crazy or are not patient, people paid hard earned money for their device and they expected to be working properly. Forget Froyo, that's a nice to have but I wouldn't hold them to the fire if they took a bit longer. But a portion of the functionality, as it stands today, is not working as designed. To make matters worse, they know about it and keep selling phones.

Upvote 0
Very true, I would wager that the Tab does have the same GPS issue.
About Leah though, I have had a few good discussions with her, and she was transferred into that post, and has to reply with that same text or she gets in trouble with their legal team because they don't want anything leaked or hinted at (which kind of hints at being worried about something getting out on their part by itself).

I understand the legalese behind their canned responses, that way they can control what is released and can minimize potential obligations and/or damage control, and that they do not want to admit releasing a not-completely-working device as it may tarnish potential buyers' perception of them. But all this really does is erect a stone wall that infuriates the customer base that has to deal with it.

"Optimize" is a choice word in this context because it is not malfunctioning, but can be improved. I would argue that for many phones it actually is malfunctioning (when I am on a highway using the navigation, about every 10 minutes it has to re-route because it somehow thinks I am heading the opposite way or am on a side-road), and solely needs improvement.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones