2.2 Gallery broken, how do I repair?Support

1. BMWBig6

BMWBig6 Member

SYMPTOM:
    When I open Gallery, it immediately closes (it never displays any photos or thumbnails).

CAUSE:
    I added some .nomedia files to my SD card (to hide album art from showing up in Gallery), and that's when Gallery refused to open. It just immediately closes/disappears anytime I try and open Gallery.

SOLUTIONS ATTEMPTED:
    I'm trying to avoid a factory reset if possible. Here's what I have tried so far:

• Cleared data/cache for Gallery app (at Settings>applications>manage applications>menu button>filter>all>gallery>clear data and clear cache). Problem still persists. I tried to repeat this, and now the Clear Data and Clear Cache buttons are both grayed out even after I force close Gallery.

• Removed the files under: SD Card\Android\data\com.android.providers.media\albumthumbs

• Removed SD Card\DCIM\.thumbnails directory

• Removed all photos from the gallery and see if it still crashes. I manually deleted the DCIM folder, and snapped a couple test photos to force the recreation of the DCIM folder. I can view Camera Roll from the camera app, but Gallery still refuses to open.

• I have also booted to recovery mode and noticed the following error: "E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command" From recovery, I used the "Wipe cache partition" utility, rebooted, and Gallery still won't open.

What else can I try? I'm at a loss here. I see a file called "thumbnailScale.trace" but am afraid to delete that.

Advertisement
    :
  2. BMWBig6

BMWBig6 Member

OMG, I fixed it! I installed a 3rd party app (3D Gallery), opened and played around with it a few times, and on a whim went back to the stock Android Gallery app and it magically resumed working again!

LESSON: Do not monkey around with .nomedia files.
  3. dfg138

dfg138 New Member

My Droid x has started doing the same thing. I have not messed around with anything. What 3rd party software did you use to fix?
  4. stereoeclectic

stereoeclectic Well-Known Member