2.2 Headaches

Last Updated:

1. DeepBlueMyst

DeepBlueMyst Member This Topic's Starter

Alright I have tried doing this without having to sign up and ask, but alas I have tried over the course of last night and most of today trying to get this work that I have a headache now. :p Long story short, I have been trying to get 2.2 onto my HTC Hero and while I thought I was doing good with flashing and rooting it. As I tried to install it. The system either A. Aborted the process or B. Started to go through but stayed on the white HTC logo screen [when first powering up] for far to long for me to think it was working. The latter happened when using a different rom not here, so I rolled back.

The one that I have desperately been trying to use is that Elelinux which is the one that gives me the installation abortion message as well. On the site it says to use the installer wizard or wizard rather for installation, but I'm not sure if that's a problem I need to download since it's in zip? So far I've been doing this all from recovery and haven't had any luck on this so so any help would be appreciated :eek:

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

The ROM is installed from the ZIP via the recovery menu. Copy the ZIP to the root of your memory card, reboot into recovery, wipe data/reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvik-cache, then select "install from sdcard" (or similar) and point it to the ZIP you copied earlier. Note that the initial boot after installation can take several minutes as a lot of initialisation scripts etc have to run.

DeepBlueMyst likes this.
  3. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

You're not using a CDMA hero are you? I'm assuming not, but you didn't specify.

So either the flashing fails or you flash and it freezes whilst booting?

I would download your ROM.zip again in case it's corrupt and make sure you're wiping properly before flashing. Those are the two main things that can mess up a flash.

Here's the full set of instructions for wiping + flashing. So you'll want to start from "- Under the wipe menu..."

DeepBlueMyst likes this.
  4. DeepBlueMyst

Thank you for both of the replies and I guess I should have clarified I am not using a CDMA Hero, but the one from Sprint [not sure what it's called - but that would be the one I have] :)

Hope it will work this time.

5. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

The Sprint hero is a CDMA Hero. Don't try to flash any of the files you have again; you've been downloading files for a GSM hero and at best they won't work, at worst they will brick your phone.

You need the Sprint Hero section, which has it's own rooting guides and the like. Stick to CDMA/Sprint ROMs only for your Sprint hero.

I think you'll need to replace your recovery image too.

DeepBlueMyst likes this.
  6. DeepBlueMyst

Ah so that's what the trouble was! Thank you very much for pointing that out, I didn't know what was going on and thought I had failed miserablly on the task that looked simple. Well I suppose I'm lucky it didn't brick out of the [x] attempts I made. Time for more reading then :)