• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 2.2 Horrible Battery Life

Ok, so I'm running Velocity 1.0, and my battery life is horrible. Not sure if it's velocity, 2.2 in general, or my phone. I haven't heard anyone else complaining, so i guess it's my phone, so i'm looking for ideas.

My screen is on low brightness, signal is good, roaming is updated, minium amount of apps, 30 second screen timeout, gps is off, no overclocking.

And it takes forever to charge. I'll also restart in airplane mode to fight the 50 bug.

Any ideas?

Honestly this has nothing to do with your phone, it has to do with what you are running most likely. Apps are often the culprit and you should check the sync settings in your apps to see what there update frequencies are. Also if you are using a battery app or task killer in froyo, KNOCK IT OFF!!! They are not only not needed because froyos memory management is top notch, but they will also kill your battery. So take a close look at what apps you are running as 90% of the time this is the culprit.

I used death2alls method to get my phone back to v6 and I get anywhere from 14-22 hours on my battery depending on my usage and I am running Velocity 1.0 and am oc'd to 787. So this is not likely the issue either.

50% bug is gone in froyo but i did notice that if you go into the phones testing menu *#*#4636#*#* there are a few things you need to check.

1. Make sure under "Phone Information" you change the preferred network type from CDMA auto (PRL) to GSM/CDMA auto (PRL). This for some reason still makes a big difference even in froyo with battery life. It has to do with how your phone handles searching for a network. This setting does not always stick so i check once or twice a week or when i notice my battery not performing as normal.

2. Under the same testing menu check the "Battery Information" if it reports battery health as good, your battery health is good. Makes sense right? If it reports something else, you may want to look into having your battery being replaced.

3. Most likely if your phone is charging slow it is a cable issue. Also if you are using USB to charge, it will take forever. Plugged into the wall, my phone will charge in under 2 hours from empty to completely full. But 4-6 hours using USB. If you have diagnosed everything else and still having problems, replace your cable. Would hate to buy a new battery and find out it was the cable.

Hope this helps clear some things up for you.

Reactions: Corki2
Upvote 0
Honestly this has nothing to do with your phone, it has to do with what you are running most likely. Apps are often the culprit and you should check the sync settings in your apps to see what there update frequencies are. Also if you are using a battery app or task killer in froyo, KNOCK IT OFF!!! They are not only not needed because froyos memory management is top notch, but they will also kill your battery. So take a close look at what apps you are running as 90% of the time this is the culprit.

I used death2alls method to get my phone back to v6 and I get anywhere from 14-22 hours on my battery depending on my usage and I am running Velocity 1.0 and am oc'd to 787. So this is not likely the issue either.

50% bug is gone in froyo but i did notice that if you go into the phones testing menu *#*#4636#*#* there are a few things you need to check.

1. Make sure under "Phone Information" you change the preferred network type from CDMA auto (PRL) to GSM/CDMA auto (PRL). This for some reason still makes a big difference even in froyo with battery life. It has to do with how your phone handles searching for a network. This setting does not always stick so i check once or twice a week or when i notice my battery not performing as normal.

2. Under the same testing menu check the "Battery Information" if it reports battery health as good, your battery health is good. Makes sense right? If it reports something else, you may want to look into having your battery being replaced.

3. Most likely if your phone is charging slow it is a cable issue. Also if you are using USB to charge, it will take forever. Plugged into the wall, my phone will charge in under 2 hours from empty to completely full. But 4-6 hours using USB. If you have diagnosed everything else and still having problems, replace your cable. Would hate to buy a new battery and find out it was the cable.

Hope this helps clear some things up for you.

Do you have an extra battery?

Upvote 0
If all else fails, and you suspect a faulty battery, do yourself a favor and hit up eBay.
NEW OEM LG LGIP-400V VS750 FATHOM VS740 ALLY BATTERY - eBay (item 250780369883 end time Mar-05-11 23:22:41 PST)

I picked up one of those when my battery wasn't lasting me long enough. I just kept it and would switch out batteries mid day or when the first one died. $11.00 and its an OEM battery. Your other alternative would be to pick up an extended life battery from Verizon. I believe it's roughly $50 between the battery and the battery cover, but it's 45% more power from the extended battery. Personally, I found it more cost effective to have two standard batteries :)

Upvote 0
I added SetCPU from the market to scale back the CPU speed when the phones not in use and it seemed to help battery life a lot. Of course you need Root for SetCPU to work.

Are you on Velocity 1.0? if so you dont need SetCPU you can manage your CPU from the velocity script.

Also though I would add that I wanted to for shits and giggles see how long my battery could really go, so the other day I went 34 hours while trying to use my phone as little as possible. It really comes down to how you have your phone set up.

Upvote 0
Are you on Velocity 1.0? if so you dont need SetCPU you can manage your CPU from the velocity script.

Also though I would add that I wanted to for shits and giggles see how long my battery could really go, so the other day I went 34 hours while trying to use my phone as little as possible. It really comes down to how you have your phone set up.

I just want to chime in on my battery experience. I recently rooted and run Velocity 1.0 Before getting upgraded I always had to charge every nite and sometimes during the day. After the upgrade I still wasn't getting the battery life I had hoped for. So I did some web searches "poor battery life" " how to improve battery life" and so forth. Right now at 5:45pm CST I am at 33% and have not charge in 3 days! What I learned is it is what you keep running that makes a difference. I start the day with the phone on airplane mode. Since I can't receive texts and calls at work unless I am in certain areas. In airplane mode I can still turn on WIFI and I only do that " in the reading room" When done I turn off wifi. When I need to I can check for texts by turning off airplane mode and going to the areas in the building where I can receive it. Then its back to airplane mode until I leave work. Airplane mode is then turned off. I use Juice Defender and set it to aggressive. I also have Timeriffic to automate turning on/off airplane mode and mobile data. Finally I use an app quick settings to easily turn on and off features. Now granted this may not suit everyones use of their phone but in my case this works great. By the way a lot of the tips i googled took me right to this forum.

Upvote 0

I just want to chime in on my battery experience. I recently rooted and run Velocity 1.0 Before getting upgraded I always had to charge every nite and sometimes during the day. After the upgrade I still wasn't getting the battery life I had hoped for. So I did some web searches "poor battery life" " how to improve battery life" and so forth. Right now at 5:45pm CST I am at 33% and have not charge in 3 days! What I learned is it is what you keep running that makes a difference. I start the day with the phone on airplane mode. Since I can't receive texts and calls at work unless I am in certain areas. In airplane mode I can still turn on WIFI and I only do that " in the reading room" When done I turn off wifi. When I need to I can check for texts by turning off airplane mode and going to the areas in the building where I can receive it. Then its back to airplane mode until I leave work. Airplane mode is then turned off. I use Juice Defender and set it to aggressive. I also have Timeriffic to automate turning on/off airplane mode and mobile data. Finally I use an app quick settings to easily turn on and off features. Now granted this may not suit everyones use of their phone but in my case this works great. By the way a lot of the tips i googled took me right to this forum.

Upvote 0

Lol @ last part. Maybe you shouldve searched this forum first. =P. Just sayin.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones