2.2 in "mid October"

Last Updated:

1. Fynx

Fynx Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Accorrding to Boygenius, its right around the corner

Samsung has announced that the Galaxy S (GT-i9000) is officially getting Android 2.2. The press release

Advertisement
  2. jamesnmandy

jamesnmandy Well-Known Member

3. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

By the time Verizon gets it and pushes it out it'll be mid to late November! Which is somewhat decent timing considering it only came out the middle of Sept. However with Gingerbread not that far off, phones should have came with Froyo of the bat that got released this summer and early fall. Wonder if vzw has a signal fix in the works for when they push 2.2 out?

4. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

Agreed verizon always takes forever to push the updates

5. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

While I am just as hopeful as everyone else that this happens quickly, don't be too disappointed when it takes a little longer for us to see it. Verizon has a history of taking a little longer to test OS updates (which can be a good thing) than other carriers. They also have to have things a little more customized than everyone else because of the CDMA radio and the existence of Bing on the phone.

6. Fynx

Fynx Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I think I can help them with their priorities, CDMA radio update then issue. Don't worry about Bing = happier SF users.

Can you hear me now Verizon?

7. tonyb81

tonyb81 Well-Known Member

Exactly, a bunch of us former Droid Eris users already know what this is going to be like.

8. OfTheDamned

Well, we won't let it go that far.;) We didn't have mods and guides living in the Eris forum back then.:cool:

9. Kabob

Kabob Well-Known Member

Even after it is finally released I'll probably give it a day or two to see if there's any negative effects with the update.

Still, good to see that it's finally being released for others in the Galaxy S line!

10. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

Lol...the Format for Bing!!! I still can't believe someone at vzw thought it would be a good idea to put Bing on a phone with a Google developed OS...so Rediculous of them!

11. whitesnake1

whitesnake1 Well-Known Member

Android 2.2 Froyo for Samsung Galaxy S rolling out now

News by Todd Haselton on Friday October 15, 2010.

Today Samsung announced that the Android 2.2 Froyo update for its Galaxy S smartphone is starting to roll out.
    Samsung says the update will first roll out to the Nordic region, with gradual rollouts to other European markets, Southeast Asia, the Middle East, North America, and Africa.
    The Froyo update includes a faster Just in Time (JIT) compiler, Adobe Flash Player 10.1, and improved customization options. Users will also be able to pinch the home screen to view all of their home screen panels at once.
    The update is available via Samsung's Kies software, which runs on PCs. [via SlashGear]

12. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Yeah we're on the home stretch for sure. The temporary release of source code earlier this week was enough for the dev's to start their work and as we speak Froyo kernels are being tested for our SF's. All signs still point to a November OTA from VZW but based on what I glean from IRC we could have Froyo anyday now from the dev's

13. jamesnmandy

jamesnmandy Well-Known Member

is that why the 2.2 Droid X launch was a complete mess they are still trying to clean up? because they took an appropriate amount of time to test the OS internally...???

because if you ask me the problems the DX guys are having with 2.2 would have shown up in the first week of testing internally.....so they must not have tested it at all.......and still sat on it forever in the name of "testing" :(

14. OfTheDamned

I never said they took an appropriate amount of time for anything. I just said they generally take longer than most carriers for their testing before they release updates. The problems with the DX are one of the reasons I was thinking it might take a little longer to see an update for the SF.

15. Kabob

Kabob Well-Known Member

Grumble grumble, I yearn for haste!! C'mon VZW!!!

16. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

Ohhhhh....ease up pal! Damned is just stating the truth in how vzw is with ota updates. IMO 2.2 should have been stock on all the new Android devices getting released at the moment, and a few months back. 2.2 killed my evo, and that was a sprint push out, so in general the push from vzw onto the Droid X could have been something within 2.2 ? Who knows....I say sit back and get comfortable...vzw does not want another rushed ota...so i'd say Nov at least.

17. glroze

glroze Well-Known Member

kinda like all the 'testing' they did on the fascinate? ;)

18. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

No matter what they do, they'll get plenty of forum angst and darts headed their way.

- release as quickly as possible: bugs.

- respond to bug reports and release "update": "Couldn't they get it right the first time? Why did they rush it out to us, are we their beta testers?!"

- continually move the prospective release date further down the calendar in an effort to perfect the OTA: "They're going to release the 2.2 upgrade too close to 3! What a waste!"

;)

19. saps

saps Well-Known Member

^^^This QFT. There is no win for them. Its really about choosing the lesser of two [or three] evils; which quite frankly from a business perspective they probably are actually doing.

20. OfTheDamned

What's the saying?

You can please some of the people or you can please none of the people.

no......People can't be pleased when there are only some of them.

hummmm no........People who please other people sometimes are not happy all of the time.

Nope........You can please some of the people some of the time or you can please none of the people all of the time, but you can't please everyone all of the time.

Something like that. At any rate, not everyone will be happy.;)

21. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Actually its You can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose:p

22. OfTheDamned

Yep, thaaaat's the one! :p

23. Kabob

Kabob Well-Known Member

Pfft, says who? I'm gonna try it tonight and see what sort of resposne I get :D

24. saps

saps Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

25. OfTheDamned

There is also.....You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends on the couch.

Back to the actual topic......

Is anyone else rather ho-hum about 2.2 on their Fascinate? I'm not really in need of many of those features at the moment.