2.2 kills processes automatically? (two part question)

Last Updated:

1. richua

richua Member This Topic's Starter

1. does the gmail app always have to be running in order to receive emails?

2. has anyone else on 2.2 FRF91 (n1) noticed that apps and processes are killed automatically? e.g. i'll open gmail and check some emails. later on i'll browse into advanced task killer and notice that the gmail process is not running anymore, whereas before with 2.1 EPE54B (i never got FRF85) it would still show up as running.

Advertisement
  2. richua

updates:
    - sync is on, background data is on (i guess this answers the first part of my question?)
    - i noticed other processes like facebook and such are killed automatically, not just gmail

3. LexusBrian400

LexusBrian400 Well-Known Member

1st of all, you shouldn't be running a task killer. Android OS handles its own tasks, quite well actually.

The seldom problem with apps running is with the app developers and the code, not Android. Task killers are pretty much useless.

2.1 has task management, as does 2.2.

Get rid of the task killer, give your phone a day or 2 to get used to it, and you'll be better off. Promise.

4. richua

thanks for the response. i've noticed that in 2.2, i haven't had to use the task killer yet. it was just a habit from 2.1 to check if processes are running as they should.