• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.2 OC'ed compared to DInc, DX

Could someone please explain to me the dangers of over clocking?
If over clocking is a good thing, why didn't Moto over clock the Droid?

Funny thing is that the Droid processor is actually underclocked to 550mhz. Overclocking does drain more battery life and can cause the heat to increase. And speaking from experience with desktop cpu's, an increase in voltage over the standard spec could decrease the life of a cpu. But no chip is guaranteed to operate above 600mhz (the original spec of the chip). Some will overclock to 1.2ghz while others can only do 1ghz. The most recommended setting I see around the forums would be 800mhz; good balance of performance and battery life.

Upvote 0
Droid overclocked to 1Ghz is in no way better than the X...not even close. Even IF the droid had 512 MB of RAM and overclocked to 1Ghz it would not be as good as the X. I do agree however that anyone with a Droid who upgrades to an X is just silly because once all of our 1 year is up for original droiders, something much better will be out (Poss LTE).

Upvote 0
The difference between the Droid X GPU and the Droid GPU is clockspeed. In the X, it is clocked about 80% higher, which results in (gasp!) 80% higher performance.

Also, Quadrant scores do not equal real world performance. Like it's been said before, 512MB of RAM makes all the difference. Your apps are not CPU or GPU bound...at all!

However, they are very, very, very memory bound on a Droid. Not the case on a DI, N1, or DX.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones