2.2 on the Evo starting up all kinds of programs

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rjoelshipp, Aug 4, 2010.

1. rjoelshipp

rjoelshipp Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Anyone notice an abundance of programs starting by themselves since the 2.2 update? I open "Task Killer" and I have got facebook, voice dialer, amazon mp3, etc running. I don't even have these programs set to update. There are about 15 programs running that i didn't even open. This happens about two minutes after I kill the apps.

Advertisement
  2. Bagua

Bagua Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Animation Director
    Palatine IL.
    2nd, I just killed and then one minute later all the services are running. Annoying.

3. rjoelshipp

rjoelshipp Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Yeah, i had it start programs that i don't even use. Kill em, and then two minutes later they are back on again! this is gonna kill my battery and memory usgae.

4. Bagua

Bagua Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Animation Director
    Palatine IL.
    That and my roaming was swithced on again to automatic. Maybe developers have to update their apps to Froyo.

5. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    I had that with 2.1 - you're not alone.

You might consider this option:

http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-evo-4g/141369-how-fix-froyo.html

It's not 2.2 per se.

It's that these apps can send something that I think I remember is called an INTENT and that wakes another.

The problem with the crapware is that it tends to cascade once it gets started.

I can't guarantee that the suggestion above will help but you might want to consider it.

The only other real recourse is to wait for them to find a root method for 2.2 and then when you get the chance, root your phone and tear out the stuff that's making your life hard.

That is exactly what I ended up doing, despite wanting to be "just a regular user."

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Bagua likes this.
  6. rjoelshipp

rjoelshipp Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Awesome! Thanks for the advice.

7. Bagua

Bagua Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Animation Director
    Palatine IL.
    Saw that last night and did the hard reset, a couple of tips I overlooked about the stock browser, doing those setting now.

8. nahpungnome

nahpungnome Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Software Developer
    Los Angeles, CA
    Cascading, I see that regularly when I use either the Music app, Last.FM, or Pandora. Using any one of those will open all of them (and AmazonMP3 before I rooted) lovely aint it? :)

9. slugbug

slugbug Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Longhorn Land
    Yes I have noticed the same thing. But I also look at Running Services and CPU usage and see they aren't "doing" anything. I would like to do a hard reset but don't know how to back up (yes...I'll go search that) plus I really hate having to re-customize my phone.

10. karong

karong Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    NYC
    I did these steps to "fix" my issues. some were fixed not all. I still get many programs starting up in the background, Launcher Pro and Handcent are not playing nice with Froyo. I never had any issues with either on 2.1 now they both are buggy even after the hard reset.

11. Jensen

Jensen Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
  12. karong

karong Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    NYC

I've read that and they have good points but I know for me personally, with my old Hero and Evo when I start to notice some lag i check the open apps and theres usually a bunch of em. After I kill them the lag is gone so I do what works for me.

13. JG-1

JG-1 Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Same here!

I notice lag, then I go into manage applications and force quite about 6 apps and the lag is gone.

It even benchmarks faster after I kill the apps.

14. rjoelshipp

rjoelshipp Member

Aug 4, 2010
    I just did a hard reset and now I do not have the problem anymore with the apps starting by themselves. Must have been a conflicting program. I did decide not to re-load certain programs. Handcent text message app for one. I think that might have been the culprit. We will see how it goes.

Tags: