2.2 OTA and a basic rooted phone - what to do?

Last Updated:

1. zoidberg28

zoidberg28 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Sorry for the noob-ly question, but looking through the forum, I think a lot of people are in the same boat I am. Basic user, rooted with no custom kernels/roms/radio...and wondering what's best to do with the new update coming out.

I'd like to have the official OTA 2.2, be rooted, and not loose the existing data on my phone. Flashing custom ROM versions of 2.2 is a bit above my head.

If I install unrevokedForever, will that allow me to get 2.2 OTA and still be rooted (and not loose everything?)

Or should I follow the instructions here?
    How to: Update your DROID Incredible to Leaked Android 2.2 | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: one other question. If I do nothing and install the OTA tomorrow, what happens?

Advertisement
  2. fillyo

fillyo Well-Known Member

I want to know the same thing!

3. DizkoDan

DizkoDan Well-Known Member

zoidberg28 likes this.
  4. zoidberg28

Great advice, I'm in the process of doing that.

Question - I just installed the new radio (2.x) - and doing so wiped my phone (factory reset). Is that to be expected?

- Also, I just downloaded the "incredible_froyo_3.21.605.1_rooted_unmodified_signed.zip" file. I place it on the SD card (not in a folder) - how exactly do I install it?

- Last question: is there a way for me to get my data back after installing that? Apps especially? I know i can re-download them, but that seems like a giant hassle. I have lots of old nandroid backups...and a titanium one.

5. DizkoDan

DizkoDan Well-Known Member

Did you install 2.05 or 2.15? If you did the 2.05 (dinc_ota), then yes, it's expected for your phone to be wiped.

Boot into recovery, do a data wipe, select install zip from sd card, select your rom from the list.

As for restoring apps/data, just reinstall titanium backup after you are back up in the new rom, and restore the apps/data you want. DO NOT restore a nandroid, unless you want to downgrade. Nandroid backups are full system images.

6. zoidberg28

great! thanks so much.

unfortunately, installing the radio also wiped my root access - i installed 2.15.xx.xx.xx

my phone is back to stock...no apps, no super user access in the app menu. just tried to re-root with UnReVoked, and it failed.

well, i have to go to work now - but i'll play with it later tonight. thanks!