2.2 OTA Root broke my Wireless Tether

Last Updated:

1. mikepic

mikepic Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

As the title says my wireless tether is no longer working correctly after rooting OTA 2.2. Has anyone else experienced this?

While searching around the forums last night on the same topic I came across something stating a different file needed to be move or added... or something like that. I didn't save the thread and I can't seem to find it again.

ty

Advertisement
  2. PMTerp

PMTerp Well-Known Member

Problem here too. Did OTA then ROOT. DL Wireless Tether for Root from market. Installed then runs but when I press the button to start says "unable to start tethering. Please try again!" did restart, no change. Any suggestions?

Just uninstalled/reinstalled and noticed it never triggered SU permissions. Is there a way to grant access w/o it popping up and asking?

3. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

Are you sure you're rooted?

4. PMTerp

PMTerp Well-Known Member

Yes. I used root explorer and have the SU icon in my app list. SU says that root explorer has been granted access but not showing wireless tether. Rooted using one touch method.

5. c_aus

c_aus Disabled

Same problem here. Root apps work, but not Wireless Tether.

6. PMTerp

PMTerp Well-Known Member

Correction. Now root explorer will not run and when I launch super user I get force closed. What troubleshooting can I do here? Is there a way to get a real answer from my phone if it is rooted?

7. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

try opening the superuser app and clearing the permissions

8. alicia4065

alicia4065 Well-Known Member

I had the same problem but in the EVO root section someone mention you have to leave access control disable until they find a way for it to work with a rooted phone 2.2. That is the only way for me to use it for right now plus I'm using 2.0.5-pre8

9. PMTerp

PMTerp Well-Known Member

D13 When I go into the SU app there are no permissions granted. If I try to access the log tab I get a force close. I uninstalled and reinstalled root explorer and now it wont run either.
    alicia I don't understand what you are saying about disable, please expound.

10. PMTerp

PMTerp Well-Known Member

OK I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP...I'm reading blogs and digging trying to fix my wireless tether and watching some football. All of the sudden, the power goes out for no reason at all. I think, "Good thing my laptop is charged, I'll keep looking." Then I realize my router has no power and I can't use my Droid X cause the stupid hotspot ain't working. Can you believe that luck. BTW, power is back on now...obviously. Back to work.

11. PMTerp

PMTerp Well-Known Member

It's all better now. Piiman was right, I wasn't rooted (all the way, if that is possible). I made sure debugging mode was still on, pluged in, ran doroot again and this time it went through a lot more script than the first time. Restarted phone and wireless tether works. WOOHOO

12. LexusBrian400

LexusBrian400 Well-Known Member

Works fine here, 2.2 OTA Rooted. Access control is OFF and I also turned off the Password encryption. Works perfect.

13. diesteldorf

diesteldorf New Member

I was having the same issue but then I turned off ACCESS CONTROLS and now everything works great. Before I upgraded to 2.2, I was able to use access controls.

Assuming I keep my password private and only allow people I want to connect to have it, do I lose anything else by not having access controls?

14. mikepic

mikepic Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, I've been struggling with this since 2.2 OTA. I never had a PW set up but used the access controls. Even when I disabled the access controls I was able to connect but no data. Just tried it with my laptop with the password and it worked perfect!

15. c_aus

c_aus Disabled

Still having issues on my end. I never used access control and somewhat hesitantly removed the encryption since I didn't want other people hopping on my network as well. The unable to start error is still popping up. Not sure if it makes a difference, but the root method I used was the one found below. I guess try again?

[How To] Root Your Droid X [Official 2.2 OTA] - Android Forums

Update: I uninstalled and re-installed Wireless Tether and it is suddenly working perfectly.