2.2 OTA update and what it means

Last Updated:

1. Crayola

Crayola Member This Topic's Starter

Hey there android forums!

I recently switched from my old and delapidated iphone to the new captivate, and from day one I have been interested in rooting my phone because I absolutely despise Samsung's crappy TouchWiz UI! From all the information I've gathered, this is a fairly simple process, all I should need to do is root the device then most of the legwork is handled though Rom Manager (I think). What I have failed to get any real info on is in regards to the 2.2 OTA update. If my device is rooted will I be unable to upgrade to 2.2? Also, If i were to root my phone, could i just wait for Cyanogen to release a 2.2 ROM ported to the captivate then flash that to my phone as an "update" to Froyo? Oooooorrrr alternatively could i just root my phone now, then un-root the device when the OTA update is released then check for updates through the OS and take it from there?

I desperateley want to root my phone and ditch the AT&T bloatware along with Samsung's UI but I don't exactly feel like being stuck on 2.1 :confused:. Any information is appreciated!:D

Advertisement
  2. rob989_69

rob989_69 Well-Known Member

Well first, rooting doesn't get rid of touchwiz. There is no way to truely be rid of it yet. You can try launchers like launcherprobeta that replaces it but it's still on teh phone.

Root access is really just admin privelage. It doesn't do anything else. You can then use programs like titanium backup to uninstall the bloatware if you choose.

Regarding ROM's. As far as the OTA goes, If I understand correctly, you don't get the notifications anymore if your rooted. You can still get them manually, but the latest news I've heard is that it's not coming till end of september and that's the Euro versions. No word on US release yet. As far as other roms, none are out yet for the Captivate. There is a 2.2 out for the Euro version, technically the phone works but there are a number of drawbacks with it so I wouldn't recommend it. Give it a few weeks and I'm sure we'll start to see ROM's come out. Keep an eye out over at XDA-Developers, they've got a team working on roms as we speak, hope that helps.

3. Simba501

Simba501 Well-Known Member

Just use a different launcher (LauncherPro, ADW.Launcher, etc...)

And unless you specifically want to root now, you could just wait until the update and root then...

4. Crayola

Crayola Member This Topic's Starter

Hmm alright, well that is a bit sour to hear! So im guessing the best bet for the majority of the userbase with the Galaxy S would be to simply wait for the OTA update, or install a custom 2.2 ROM if that is released before Samsung pushes their own update?

One last question: If a 2.1 ROM were to be released for the Galaxy S would it be a safe bet to flash that to my phone and then reinstall the stock ROM when word of the OTA 2.2 update comes out? I have very little idea what that process entails, but from what I think I understand it is fairly easy to manage ROMs through ROM manager so i should theoretically be able to create a backup of the original software then flash back to it at a later date?

And thank you rob and simba for the help! This whole hacking this makes a lot more sense to me now :D Cheers!