• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 2.2 ROM problems. Keep current root, or need new root?

tjreishus

Android Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2009
From a different post, I understand that there is a problem with cooking up a 2.2 ROM because of deodexing problems.

I'm afriad we'll be waiting far longer than originally expected..
Pete and many other devs are reporting that they are unable to deodex the Froyo dump. We'll have to wait for a resolution to that problem before a rom can be cooked.

I have read elsewhere that it's looking like a ROM might not be possible with 2.2. I don't know if that's true or not, its just what I read. If that is the case, does that mean we will have to go to the official 2.2 release and wait for that to be rooted before we can enjoy some of the rooted extras we get? I know that this wasn't the case from 2.0 to 2.1, but it's sounding like this one is a lot more difficult to work with.

From a different post, I understand that there is a problem with cooking up a 2.2 ROM because of deodexing problems.

I have read elsewhere that it's looking like a ROM might not be possible with 2.2. I don't know if that's true or not, its just what I read. If that is the case, does that mean we will have to go to the official 2.2 release and wait for that to be rooted before we can enjoy some of the rooted extras we get? I know that this wasn't the case from 2.0 to 2.1, but it's sounding like this one is a lot more difficult to work with.

Luckily...we have 2.1 with some really fantastic ROMs while we wait. I don't know that it's impossible but it has only been a few days since 2.2 came to the Nexus 1. I'm sure someone will figure it out (certainly not me)...it may take more time but someone usually figures these things out.

I think the guys at Google are just making it difficult on purpose...just for shits and giggles :D

Upvote 0
Luckily...we have 2.1 with some really fantastic ROMs while we wait. I don't know that it's impossible but it has only been a few days since 2.2 came to the Nexus 1. I'm sure someone will figure it out (certainly not me)...it may take more time but someone usually figures these things out.

I think the guys at Google are just making it difficult on purpose...just for shits and giggles :D

They probably masquerade as noobs on here and post the repeat questions that you see all the time on here just to mess w/ us. And now w/ 2.2 abound, they're having a ball. lol

Upvote 0
From my understanding the N1 roll out was not suppose to be wide spread, it was only suppose to be to a select few random test phones. However when it hit of course it was leaked and now all N1 users can download and manually upgrade.

Accourding to a re-tweet of one of the Google devs by Cyanogen, the actual rool out of 2.2 for the N1 should be coming soon. I'm guessing once that is out the code will be up on github and then we should see some heavy work on this.

I do know that some of the devs are already working on getting the new kernel cracked and over clocked... Again it might take a bit but I can guarantee you that we will have 2.2 before it hits OTA...

Upvote 0
If you are talking about the ones that they have ported over to the Eris then I wouldn't hold my breath... That version is buggier then the congo, I don't even think you can make calls on it...

Seriously it will be out before the OTA, it is just going to take a while... This is a HUGE step up, don't let the point release change fool you this really should have been named 3.0...

Upvote 0

How in the crap did I miss that!!! Well if they got it up and running on the Droid and there aren't any bugs I don't see why it won't be available soon... very nice!!!

(oh and I love that we already have the "it's a photoshop, I can tell by the pixels and from having seen quite a bit of photoshops in my day..." crowd chiming in on that thread... lol)

Upvote 0
Ok, so what I'm getting out of this, everyone seems to be on board that we will be able to get a ROM eventually with 2.2. We won't have to unroot, update to 2.2, then wait for someone to root 2.2 on the droid. The same as 2.0 to 2.1. It was some of the posts I saw where some people think a ROM of 2.2 might not be possible that got me worried about it.

Upvote 0
The rom is not possible with the CURRENT dump from the N1 (or the update.zip). **EDIT** It may be possible with the current dump if the dev who does smali/baksmali fixes it so the dump can be deodexed. But he stated on Sunday it would be a few days before he can even look at it...**END EDIT** It will be possible if, 1. The verizon beta being shown around in pictures gets leaked, 2. the source code is released (should be when the N1 gets the OTA out to the masses).

I would stay rooted. You never know what might happen, but I would venture to guess we will have a rom soon (for root users)...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones