2.2 root

Last Updated:

1. lmbgm

lmbgm Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was running 2.1 and rooted. It took me a very long time to root the first time, I had to use the SD card insert and eject technique which too forever. I had alot of trouble catching the race condition.

I had to unroot to get 2.2 updated. Now I have a fresh 2.2 and would like to root so I can try some custom roms.

I tried unrevoked3, but it does not work for me. After the second reboot (after bootloader), it gives the failed recovery image message. Am I having the same issue with the race condition? or is it something else? Do I need to do this manually? if so, are there instructions somewhere?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. richb82

richb82 Well-Known Member

I feel bad for the mods of this forum.

Anyways, where did you read that the new OTA is even rootable yet?

3. lmbgm

4. wkd1

wkd1 Well-Known Member

Yes, that's my understanding since they were all ripped from leaks/other phones. Did you do Unrevoked Forever? And out of curiosity, why are you wanting to go back to root? Is the update not all you were hoping for?

5. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

Yep. The newest 2.2 isn't rootable. I was rooted on 2.1 (Unrevoked3 method) and installed Unrevoked forever (which gives you S-off so you will always have root until you do S-on). Then I updated the radio and installed the Lite version ROM of the OTA update. I'm now on Skryaider 3.0 ROM.

But, back to it, unless you did backups so you could somehow install Clockwork mod or something, I think you're more or less stuck? Maybe you could do an update to an original 2.1-1 image with HBOOT. I'm still new to some of this myself.

6. lmbgm

Well I got the OTA notice but it was rooted so I couldnt apply it. So I unrooted it but then the OTA notice didnt show up again so I RUUed it. I want to root to use titanium backup. Also I want to get rid of the droid startup thing (not sure if i need root for that). I guess I need to go back to 2.1 and root. I wish I knew this before I unrooted, it was very difficult on my phone for some reason. I DID do some reading but I guess i missed it.

7. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

If you didn't run "unrevoked forever" to get "s-off"... I'm sorry but you lost the ability to root until a method is found to root official 2.2

note: to check if you have s-off boot in hboot (hold volume down and hit power) it will say "S-OFF" at the end of the first line...

8. lmbgm

no, it says "S-ON"

I guess I'll wait.

After the 2.1 root first came out and I spent hours rooting it, I stopped following the forum for a while. I guess I should have caught up before I went up to 2.2

9. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

:(

I've heard rumors that not "all" root exploits were fixed in 2.2, So hopefully the wait won't be to long :)

10. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

If you can get back to 2.1 through HBOOT, rooting is stupid easy now with Unrevoked3.