2.2 SBF Did Not Fully Restore to Stock?

Last Updated:

1. antnyh

antnyh Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

OK, this is weird. I have already used RSDLite 4.8 and the 2.2 SBF file to flash to stock once with this phone. Last night I wanted to flash back again in order to make a backup, like a dummy I forgot to last time, and try a new ROM. The RSD program ran great, took about 10 mins. Completed successfully and phone rebooted. Once it booted back up I didn't have to go through the phone setup and LauncherPro was already my launcher. None of the blur was put back on and all of my apps were still loaded and accessible. I did loose root though. Anyone experience this? If so what happened? Here is my setup. BTW, I restored a backup so I am right back to where I was before the flashing.

Froyo 2.2
    APEX V1
    No clock mod
    Revolution Theme

That is it other than apps that I have DL'ed.

Advertisement
  2. eulerphi8

eulerphi8 Well-Known Member

The SBF doesn't wipe your data/cache. That's why it looked like nothing had changed. Do a factory reset before and/or after you SBF.

GrandMasterB likes this.
  3. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

Yep, the SBF leaves the data partition alone. The reason so many people are confused about this is because they used the SBF to restore to a different version of Android (e.g. downgrade from leaked 2.2 -> 2.1). If you remember correctly, part of those instructions were performing a factory reset.

You can SBF all day long and it'll leave all of your apps alone.

4. antnyh

antnyh Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Funny, I don't recall doing a factory reset last time. So in other words there really is no reason to SBF once you have the udpated 2.2 unless you brick the phone? If you just want to revert to stock, like me, you just need to factory reset? Thanks.

5. eulerphi8

eulerphi8 Well-Known Member

Umm not if you're running Apex. Doing a factory reset will just give you a clean version of Apex, not the original Moto rom. If you want the original Moto rom then you'd either need to apply an update.zip, restore a backup, or yes use the SBF.