2.2 Stock Recovery

Last Updated:

1. AndroiDad75

AndroiDad75 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Everyone,

My wifes phone needs to go back. It was rooted, with S-Off. I ran S-On, but can not load a stock recovery. I tried using the one posted by adrynalyne, which I think was for 2.1, and it would do it check but not ask me to update.

I then opened the leaked ruu and took the recovery image and created a new PB31IMG file (with the txt file from adrynalyne's recovery) but again it didn't take.

Is it because I have S-On back on? If so, what are the steps to get this thing back to stock so I can send it back? I have been trying different things for the last 4+ hours and not sure what else to do.

Thanks!!!

Advertisement
  2. Mahalo

Mahalo Well-Known Member

Check out Section 6 here. This is what I did. Worked perfectly.

Oops, it is scratched out... I'm looking for more info for ya. Hold tight.

3. AndroiDad75

I already have 2.2 on the phone, and just ran the s-on. Is that why it won't load the new recovery? Do I need to do S-Off again?

4. AndroiDad75

Thanks Mahalo!!! I do appreciate it.

5. Mahalo

Mahalo Well-Known Member

OK, I read through that thread. It looks like you can install this file via HBOOT and you should be back to stock:

PB31IMG.zip

The worst case scenario (and I wouldn't expect this to happen) is that you brick the phone that is going in for replacement anyway...so no loss.

O_O

6. Mahalo

Mahalo Well-Known Member

You may need to do S-Off again... Sorry I can't be more helpful... I'd have to download and test it to be sure and then restore my phone but I'm at work. :(

7. Mahalo

Mahalo Well-Known Member

turbozombie likes this.
  8. turbozombie

turbozombie Well-Known Member

I can confirm that video method works on a rooted 2.1 phone, but does anyone know if it would work on a rooted 2.2 with s-off?

Just for reference, this is the S-ON tool from unrevoked: http://downloads.unrevoked.com/forever/current/unrevoked-forever-son.zip

So I am assuming that you could use the video method to get back to 2.1 stock, then run S-on, then get that May software update, then download the OTA 2.2.

9. AndroiDad75

The software version that he calls out in the video, is not the same as the OTA that came. Do you still think it will work?

10. AndroiDad75

The problem I initiall had, was you need a custom recovery to do the S-On, so I added clockwordmod back to my wifes phone, to do S-On and then got stuck with not being able to go back to a stock recovery.

I might have to put it down for a while. I have been doing it for so many hours that I think I am doing the same thing over and over again. Need to get a fresh perspective/break - maybe.

11. AndroiDad75

OK. So I put S-OFF back on and was able to put the stock recovery back on. So now I am completely stuck as to how I would put S-ON back on without a custom recovery. None of those options worked earlier. I think I had to have S-OFF to make them work, but how do you get S-ON back when you no longer have a stock recovery?

12. turbozombie

I'm really confused now. Matt from unrEVOked told me that you could use the s-on tool after rooting a 2.2 phone using their 3.21 unrevoked. I haven't tried so I can't confirm if it works. I was assuming you could load the s-on tool using clockwork (load custom zip or something in the menu). I don't know if I'm answering your question, cause now I am confused too :eek:

13. AndroiDad75

Yes, you can load it up using clockwokmod. The problem is, if you are sending back your phone, you don't want the clockworkmod on either. So after I did the S-ON, loading it up with clockworkmod, I couldn't remove Clockworkmod to get back to the stock recovery, so it didn't look like i did anything to the phone. The only way I could remove clockworkmod was to load back S-OFF, so I am stuck in this vicious circle of needing clockworkmod to remove s-off, and needing s-off to remove clockworkmod. lol I know I must be missing something easy, but sure haven't been able to figure it out. :-D

14. Mahalo

Mahalo Well-Known Member

15. turbozombie

These are the steps I would try, this is what I'll end up doing the next time an official OTA is released:

1. Run the s-on tool from unrevoked
    2. Put the official 2.1 recovery on, I believe it needs to be called PB31IMG.ZIP on the root of your SD card
    3. You shouldn't need s-off to apply the above
    4. This will get rid of clockwork and bring you back to 2.1 stock
    5. Apply the May update (I can't remember where I found this) :(
    6. Presumably receive the 2.2 OTA

Does anyone have any other ideas? Is there a stock 2.2 recovery that could be used in place of step 2?

:confused::confused::confused:

edit: the above WILL wipe the phone, it did for me when I used it to get back to 2.1

16. STEye

STEye Active Member

After you flash the 2.1 image, do you have to set S-ON or does it automatically do it with the flash?

17. AndroiDad75

I'll try it again, but this is exactly what I did when I first tried this whole process. Maybe a new day means new results. :confused:

18. turbozombie

I'm pretty sure you'll still have s-off unless you run the s-on tool. From what I understand, in order to get the phone serviced you have to have s-on. I guess they look for that before they give you support (HTC/Verizon).

If my method doesn't work, then I'm at a loss and really confused.. there must be a way to get back to 100% stock with s-on.

19. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

The ONLY way to get S-OFF to be back to S-ON is by running unrevoked S-ON tool. hence the unrevoked FOREVER. usually accepting an OTA update would bring it to s-on, but not with forever.

as far as getting back to complete stock, I just did it to send back my blow speaker and got my refurb a few days ago.

if you have s-off, then you are rooted. so, run the s-on tool. you need to be rooted to do this, unrevoked.

then, You will be rooted but with s-on. you now need to downgrade by unrooting. I would suggest putting the 2.1 RUU ROM.zip into a PB31IMG.zip and going back to 2.1 while you are still on S-OFF. THEN, do s-on, THEN run the 2.2 RUU. and you back to stock 2.2 with S-on and good to go. l

20. STEye

STEye Active Member

How about if I am rooted with 2.2, with S-off. How do I go back to unrooted 2.2 with s-on or s-off. Is there a PB31IMG.zip image for 2.2, or is it just for 2.1?

21. v8dreaming

v8dreaming Well-Known Member

Nevermind, I just repeated what ACD168 said. haha

22. AndroiDad75

OK, I haven't tried going back to 2.1 while having s-off. Don't know why I didn't think of that. For the 2.1 RUU ROM.zip, are you talking about the first one from THIS THREAD? Or is it a different one? If a different one, do you have a link for it?

23. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

no there is a method pulling the rom.zip from the RUU itself. you open the RUU and the type %TEMP% in the start button in search on ur computer try n find directions if u cant ill look later im busy now sorry.

24. AndroiDad75

Hey quick question. I just realized, I did a nandroid backup when I first rooted her, which was on 2.1. Can I do the restore for that, do s-on, then run the 2.2 ota? Would that work???? Or would there be issues because of radio, etc...

25. v8dreaming

v8dreaming Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if that would work or not. I went here Unroot Dan's Worthless Blog and used the PB31IMG.zip from there. Down graded back to 2.1 and rerooted to go s-on and then used the ruu for 2.2.