2.2 stuck in airplane modeSupport

Last Updated:

1. alackman

alackman Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

After updating to 2.2 on tmobile when it eventually came to us how ever many weeks ago, all seemed fine untill the phone rebooted and turned back on in airplane mode - try as I did, I couldnt turn it off, none off the different ways to do it seemed to work (home screen widget, long hold on on/off button, settings-wireless and networks-airplane mode off)- I eventually, having called t-mobile who where almost as helpfull as a bag of jelly had to factory reset which did seem to sort it out...

The reason I am writting now is because after reading the threads about how often people turn their phones off, I did just this. Low and behold the ruddy airplance mode was on when phone turned back on and same again, couldnt turn it off. I turned the phone on and off for about 10 times and eventually it seemed to work although I couldnt tell you why in that particular instance.

Now this isnt a major issue as I do actually keep the phone turned on for the most, but I am obviously tyring to foresee possible future problems..ie battery running out, having to reboot because or a dodgy app etc

Id like to know if anyone has any ideas of why this happens and anything I can do to avoid this in future.

I did read an old thread on here about airplane mode sticking because of sim card age but not sure why this would make a difference, it was fine with 2.1 and only started happening after the froyo update.

Advertisement
  2. alackman

No suggestions?

3. alackman

Ahhh, it happened again. Phone went off. Stuck in airplane mode. Took over an hour to get it to go off by turning phone on and off countless number of times.

If no one on here can help with this can anyone suggest who would be able to help. Is it north a call to HTC. Maybe I will try this today.

4. Nasalhair

Nasalhair Well-Known Member

Something similar happened to mine when I was on holiday back in August. I was running 2.1 at the time and at night I'd put the phone into airplane mode so I could use it as an alarm clock but without fear of it ringing (call me weird if you must but when I'm on holiday I'm on holiday from the rest of the world and don't want it to keep calling me!) One morning I tried to take it out of airplane mode so I could send a text home but it wouldn't do it, and would just reboot itself and come back in airplane mode.

The solution I found was a bit odd... I took out my SIM card (plus the battery and the SD card), then put my SIM into my girlfriend's Sony Ericsson C905. Switched her phone on and my SIM worked fine. Switched it off, put my SIM back into my Desire, and it has worked perfectly ever since!

alackman likes this.
  5. yenrod

yenrod Well-Known Member

? - Why did you have to put the sim in another phone ?

6. alackman

I had actually read your thread about thisand of course tried it to no joy. And of.course because phone was off to take out sim, when back on was stuck gaining airplane mode. Thank.you for trying to help. I had hoped for more than one person to help get it sorted. I guess not much ca nbe done.

7. Nasalhair

Nasalhair Well-Known Member

I didn't "have to" - I did it as part of a process of elimination, trying to find out if the problem was with the handset or my SIM card. It just so happens that after I did this my phone decided to start working again.

yenrod likes this.
  8. jim_h

jim_h Well-Known Member

If this was a bug in 2.2, I'd have thought there'd be more people experiencing it. It's a strange one though and I'd be pretty miffed about it. If t-mobile are useless (a common theme with service providers in the UK!), you could try HTC, although I'm not sure how much more helpful they will be.

I'm also wondering if it's an app/game you've installed rather than an OS issue...?

Failing all else, have you considered rooting and installing a custom rom?

9. riki1kenobi

riki1kenobi Well-Known Member

My money would be on an app messing up the phone settings......Try doing a hard reset and see if it does it after that! Backup your data BEFORE doing it as it will wipe all the stuff you had on the phone!

To do a hard reset follow this;

1. Turn the power off. If your HTC Desire is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
    2. Hold the Volume Down button
    3. Press and release the Power button
    4. You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
    5. Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
    6. Press and release the Power button
    7. Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO

Remember, this will wipe all personal stuff and give you a factory fresh install so BACKUP any stuff you want to keep!!!!!

10. alackman

When it 1st happened after froyoupdate, I couldn't turn airplane mode off and so I did a factory reset then and this didnt sort it. Admitedly I reinstalled all of the same apps so it could be down to a naughty one. I'm not sure how to work out which one. I'll try and post a list of all apps I've downloaded. (all from market incidentally.)

Is there any easy way to share the list of apps on my phone?

11. riki1kenobi

riki1kenobi Well-Known Member

Screenshot of the apps list from the phone maybe.....Not sure IF there is a way to list them all but I'm sure someone will bob on IF there is an app or someway of doing it ;)

12. ukzen

ukzen Well-Known Member

I put mine in Airplane mode every night,when i turn airplane mode off in the morning,sometimes it shows reception full bars and internet H,but cannot phone ,send a text or go online without rebooting.Does not happen every time just occasionally

13. alackman

14. alackman

Now this is strange. Had to turn off phone and of course airplane mode again. However, I received an email.I wasn't connected to wireless so how could this be? I know gmail is push but surely this shouldn't work in airplane mode? How likely is the fact that I still have a one2one sin card be the cause? Considering the only suggestion has been to do with sim issue.

15. alackman

i spoke with a tmobile techy today who said my options were

- send off to tmobile who will put 2.1 on it untill 2.2 is improved(german version - uk version etc)

- wait for tmobile to sort out their cock up regarding german release of 2.2

- root it and put on stock htc rom (tmobile wont warrenty blah blah)

Im not adverse to rooting/debrainding etc but id rather not have to - its frustrating to sau the least.

Well, I think ill probabnly just debrand and put on htc rom if I can find the best place to tell me how to do it - there is so much written about how to do it and the different ways that it does get a little confusing. Im not sure when I ll have a spare hour or so to do this, so in the mean time if anyone has any other suggestions as to why my airplance mode gets stuck then please let me know

16. destabilizator

destabilizator New Member

I'm stuck too, it happened today after update (2.28 or something like that). I can't switch it off by any means and I don't really want to reset to factory settings (btw what does it actually erase? contacts? set-up accounts? all on sdcard too?). When I turn it on without SDCard and sim, airplane mode can be turned on and off without problems, when I insert sim card, it's ****ed again, even without SDCard - I have all apps installed on SDCard, so when I don't put it in, no apps should load :S
    So far no solution? Did any1 try to write to HTC? I doubt that techies from T-Mobile know anything about it.

17. alackman

Im on T-mobile and my latest update 2.12.110.4 has seemed to sort the problem out for me. In my research I did get the sufggestion that It could have been down to the fatc I have a really old sim card. I still have on old one2one sim card before they became t-mobile. I did phone HTC and tmobile and the response was this bearing in mind that the problem occured for me after the update to froyo:

HTC "we are working on an update to the german tmobile release. this shoudl sort it out for you"

T-mobile "debrand and root it" or "get a new sim fomr us for free and try to see if it works" Im guessing that the 1st suggestion would not be an officiual line fomr t-mobile but it was from a uk based tech support guy who told me that all the staff in the office had roote3d their desires and this seemed like the best option.

if it is your sim card that is seeming to cause problem then if it is an old one then maybe worth asking for a new one from t-mobile?

18. destabilizator

destabilizator New Member

Hmm, I might try it out with my roommate simcard then. Mine isn't that old, something around 6-7 years? I've wrote to HTC support, gonna see how that goes.
    My software number is 2.29.405.2 CZ

19. alackman

id say that was quite an old sim card considering it was only about 12 -14 years ago that they started releasing sim cards - before then phones had them inbuilt. see how tryign a different sim in your phone fairs and maybe get a new one anyway - probably wont cost anything.

20. jjjianjun

jjjianjun New Member

I hav the same problem after i upgrade my Android 2.1 into Froyo 2.2 in my X8...
    Can anyone suggest me some ways to settle the problem that the flight mode cannot be off in the notification part but it show off in the setting!!!!

21. benw87

benw87 New Member

I had the same problem with aeroplane mode being on but the phone not recognising this or allowing me to change it in the normal way. It seems like the OP already tried this, but for the benefit of others searching for a solution I'll share how I fixed it on my HTC Desire S.
    I added the aeroplane mode widget to the home screen and after a few presses an aeroplane icon appeared in the notification bar, showing my phone had now come to terms with being in this mode and one more press disabled it properly.

22. morrismike

morrismike New Member

I had a similar problem with Airplane Mode sticking and registering Airplane mode as being turned off yet actually still active. After several different attempted solutions i final landed upon a simple "on/off long hold" and hit restart. This brought Airplane mode back to active and allowed me to de-select it and get my phone back to working order.