• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 2.2 to 2.1 and root.. now stuck at bootloader

tha5150

Jun 23, 2010
ok so i tried the 2.2 root process. short and sweet is (oh an i am pretty new) downgrade 2.2 to 2.1.. bunch of command line stuff.. install usb drivers, open program to flash and it reboots the phone, then more command line stuff, then installs custom 2.2 and you are now rooted...

i got to where i install the custom usb drivers and open the reflash program.. all it does is go to the bootloader and sit there. i said screw it and was going to just reinstall 2.2 and be done with the ATTEMPT of rooting until a 1 click type came out.. problems is, now i cant even install 2.2... sits at the bootloader screen..

called Sprint and they tried to help me do a factory reset by going to the phone app and typing ##87# or something. when i hit reset it was supposed to show a screen thats wiping and reinstalling or something. nothing happen.

stuck at that frikin bootloader screen again

so here is what i think happened and i need help fixing it.. i installed a newer bootloader or older one or something and the new 2.2 is having a hard time getting past it or i just completely screwed it all up.

i am currently on 2.1 and all is working fine but i cant upgrade or anything.

what are my options and how do i get this back to 2.2??? would love to try and root it and be done. or just plug it into the pc and reinstall everything back to factory but i am coming from the iPhone where that is possible and i guess you cant on HTC. fine with me, just want to fix it.

i even just tried reinstalling the 2.2 by downloading to update.zip, placing it into the folder and rebooting.. for some reason it seems my bootloader screen doesnt reconize anything i put in there. i see all these pc36img files not detected when it boots now.. i am lost.. please be more detailed.

i am going to try putting the file back on the SD card and see what happens right now.. but i remember there being an error

Upvote 0
Ok, once you are in the bootloader, select bootloader to get to the hboot screen. If it is there, select recovery. if it is not there, download this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=706411
and try to follow the directions. Simple root is now only 2 click, one to root and one for recovery. If you do have recovery, , and i am using clockwork, so yours may be a little diff, select partitions menu, go to mount usb storage, then once this is mounted, you can look at your sd card. Look for pc36img, if not there, dont worry, you can put one on or add a rom , the install through recovery. If you do not have the recovery option, you will if you do the simple root method. If you want to go back to factory, here is a great little program that will run all the commands and flash you back to stock 2.1:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-roms-hacks/19278-how-unroot-return-stock.html

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Ok, once you are in the bootloader, select bootloader to get to the hboot screen. If it is there, select recovery. if it is not there, download this: [Program] SimpleRoot .1 ---- 3 Click Root w/ nand unlock!! - xda-developers
and try to follow the directions. Simple root is now only 2 click, one to root and one for recovery. If you do have recovery, , and i am using clockwork, so yours may be a little diff, select partitions menu, go to mount usb storage, then once this is mounted, you can look at your sd card. Look for pc36img, if not there, dont worry, you can put one on or add a rom , the install through recovery. If you do not have the recovery option, you will if you do the simple root method. If you want to go back to factory, here is a great little program that will run all the commands and flash you back to stock 2.1:
[How To] Unroot and return to stock. - Android Forums

Hope this helps.

I think he has it

Upvote 0
Wake69 i just saw this information after i posted my last comment..

now that i am back to 2.2 i will format my SD card from the options on the phone to get it back to fresh and assume this is now in an "out of box state" correct?

i will now go to your first link and do a step by step and try this all again..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones