• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.2 Update - HTC Confirms Major Problems

Do you leave wifi on in the car? What is your screen brightness set to?

I downgraded back to 2.1. With 2.1, I can leave Wifi ON, and keep my screen at full brightness, and my battery charges like a champ! It works great! When I had Froyo 2.2, nothing I would do would be enough to keep the battery charging using the navigation program. I disabled Wifi, Always On Mobile connection, etc, and nothing. Froyo changed the charge rate too low. I even tried a factory reset as a last resort, with no changes. Was still losing a charge.

Upvote 0
Did anyone with battery issues just try doing a battery pull instead of a system reset? I kept seeing people say "just wipe the phone to fix the issue."

I hadn't been on here since the update due to work, but I never did the system reset. I too noticed the my phone wasn't going to sleep after the update.exe. After 4 reboots, I decided to pull the battery while I was at lunch. Since then, it has been going to sleep and I now average 30-35 hours between charges and average use.

I'm pretty certain that not all phones needed to be wiped out with a hard reset and just needed a soft reset.

Reactions: eson126
Upvote 0
I have a question I have not seen posted. If someone reverts back to 2.1 obviously you no longer have flash 10. So when you have 2.1 again would you be able to download flash that is in the market now or say even the apk file posted earlier? In other words does flash work on 2.1?

If flash didn't work on 2.1 before 2.2.... Why would it work now.. lol you answered your own question. I could be wrong, but it's the radio that allows the flash, I guess in theory you could MAYBE be on 2.1 with the 2.x radio, and it'll work, but IDK.

Upvote 0
Did anyone with battery issues just try doing a battery pull instead of a system reset? I kept seeing people say "just wipe the phone to fix the issue."

I hadn't been on here since the update due to work, but I never did the system reset. I too noticed the my phone wasn't going to sleep after the update.exe. After 4 reboots, I decided to pull the battery while I was at lunch. Since then, it has been going to sleep and I now average 30-35 hours between charges and average use.

I'm pretty certain that not all phones needed to be wiped out with a hard reset and just needed a soft reset.

It isn't NEEDED, hence why Verizon made it so it doesn't wipe the phone, but so many problems stem from it, I personally wouldn't even update an OS without a factory reset. just me though. I've seen it played out in the Eris from 1.5 to 2.1 and now here with 2.1 to 2.2... It's easy to back up .apks and make a .bat file to re-install all your apps threw adb, or do titanium I heard that works well. the benefit outweighs to time it takes setting things back up. and you can always take screen shot to get it back to exact. Personally I blame Verizon for not just giving up a download RUU link and doing it that way, so we don't have to wait for this BS all week, AND it wipes the phone saving many CS calls. if you don't have any problems, don't wipe, or try pulling battery first as stated above, but if you're having issues, factory reset.

Upvote 0
+1
There are few highly desirable things that are gone with root/new rom (HTC Sense's camera/camcorder, sense's cut/paste, and other sense goodies), that if you can live without, you can have a rock solid phone in return. After rooting, my phone is actually reliable. Everything that it still does, it does very well. Battery life is great, browsing is great, calls are better (still wouldn't say great), and everything is generally snappier and doesn't force close or auto reboot anywhere near as much. My favorite app (A Online Radio), which I use several times a day - everyday - also works perfectly and hasn't dropped out on me even once since rooting.
I installed the Virtuous 2.6 ROM--a nice, subtle tweak of Froyo 2.2 without losing any functionality except a few bloatware programs that you have the choice to reinstall if you want them. It's zip aligned and de-odexed so it's fast and takes up less ROM memory. The whole rooting process was a bit time-consuming but not technically difficult using the new unrevoked 3.2 program (currently down and being reworked to correct a problem with Evos--not Incredibles). It was completely worth it and I have a kicka$$ phone now.

Upvote 0
If flash didn't work on 2.1 before 2.2.... Why would it work now.. lol you answered your own question. I could be wrong, but it's the radio that allows the flash, I guess in theory you could MAYBE be on 2.1 with the 2.x radio, and it'll work, but IDK.

Flash 10.1 requires 2.2 (the os update, not radio or anything). 2.1 has flashlite, but for full flash needs 2.2.

Upvote 0
I installed the Virtuous 2.6 ROM--a nice, subtle tweak of Froyo 2.2 without losing any functionality except a few bloatware programs that you have the choice to reinstall if you want them. It's zip aligned and de-odexed so it's fast and takes up less ROM memory. The whole rooting process was a bit time-consuming but not technically difficult using the new unrevoked 3.2 program (currently down and being reworked to correct a problem with Evos--not Incredibles). It was completely worth it and I have a kicka$$ phone now.

+1 -- I too installed the Virtuous ROM and have just updated to the current version (2.6) with some power-saving tweaks from adrenalyne. It has been fast, reliable, and I am now getting much better battery life (looks like about 40 hrs with moderate usage, up from about 20 hrs previously, with stock battery). I am quite happy. :D

Upvote 0
Depends on what battery they are using - 1300 , 2150 or 3500 mAh.

Yup. I'm using the 2150 and "could" get 1.5 days now if I wanted to really run it down. I'm also running SetCPU with profiles to scale clock speed depending on phone status. Certain speeds for standby and reduced depending on battery % left.

All that aside, there's no reason unrooted users should have crappy battery life. This is a failure on HTC's part. Shouldn't have to root just to get more juice. Then again I came from an iPhone and never got more than 1 day battery power out of it so I suppose I'm use to having to charge all the time. :p

Upvote 0
With how easy rooting, ROM/radio/kernal installing is, you're foolish if you don't do it!

Agree on some level but regular users who just want a nice phone to be able to communicate, web, email, etc. shouldn't have to root. I know people who wouldn't root even if someone did it for them. They just like to keep it plain and simple and be led along by Verizon. (not to differentiate but they all happen to be women as well..most of the guys I know who have the Dinc's root pretty much after the first battery charge. haha...yes this doesn't apply to the population as a whole so don't get huffy plz)

Upvote 0
I also installed the RUU and my battery life is actually better. I also got rid of Advanced Task Killer which seemed to increase the battery life. One app that I found that was draining the battery was Facebook for HTC Sense. Once I logged out of that, the battery life was even better. I can easily get a day of heavy use out of the phone.

Upvote 0

What's the difference between a hard reset and soft reset? I'm still having battery issues... I only have 4 hours of wake time...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones