• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.2 Update - HTC Confirms Major Problems

I received my update Aug. 31 AM. The biggest problem has been a screen freeze about a minute or so after bootup. The only way to unfreeze it is to hang on to the phone firmly with my hand, shake it a little bit, and turn the screen off, and on again, sometimes have to do it several times before it will unlock.

I did a factory reset this morning, and couldn't make calls or data downloads afterwards until spending an hour on the phone with Verizon. (*228 did not work either) Finally had to do the ##778, and change some of the security and mip settings. Everything is re-loaded, and YES, still having the screen freeze issue at bootup, so I wasted a better part of my Saturday screwing around with that, with no noticeable benefit.

Bluetooth has been a little buggy also, both before and after hard reset.

I do like the wifi tether feature though.

Upvote 0
I like my 2.2, but I also have noticed significantly faster battery drain. I think it's caused by my slacker radio, but not sure. My awake time is not inappropriately high, but the battery is just draining much much faster. I have an mah2600 battery. I used to only charge it every other day at most, now every day.

I hope there really is some sort of fix in the works, and this isn't just some BS by the OP. Oh, I did a factory reset already btw. Wiped battery stats, drained and recharged it fully so I know it's not a calibration issue.

I wonder if certain apps are causing this problem for some people...?
So far my experience with 2.2 has beenmuch better battery life and phone reception with less dropped calls and better clarity. The phone is also noticeably faster and smoother, which I didn't think was possible, it was so fast on 2.1 to begin with.

Upvote 0
just got off the phone with verizon and htc, both said to use the ATK for 2.2 and do a master reset, which i have. and my battery life still sucks. I just installed setCPU with the settings from here: http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/156801-ultimate-performance-battery-life.html

and i have noticed for the past couple of hours that my battery is not dropping as fast. Verizon is however sending me the extended battery to help absorb the problem. They said a patch should be coming out but they dont know when.

Upvote 0
just got off the phone with verizon and htc, both said to use the ATK for 2.2 and do a master reset, which i have. and my battery life still sucks. I just installed setCPU with the settings from here: http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/156801-ultimate-performance-battery-life.html

and i have noticed for the past couple of hours that my battery is not dropping as fast. Verizon is however sending me the extended battery to help absorb the problem. They said a patch should be coming out but they dont know when.
What is a "Master Reset"?:thinking:

Upvote 0
i checked my cpu with sytempanel. its consistently stays above 700mhz at all times. with only the bare minimun apps running. sometimes staying at or about 850mhz. im guessing it has something to do with that. has anyone else noticed this?

This is incredibly variable. Right off the bat: When looking at this number you are increasing it a fair bit between having the phone on, which runs Android, as well as System Panel itself.

You also need to run and close System Panel several times, and watch the number for over a minute to get any kind of useful number.

I have good battery life, and plenty of times I have seen it do exactly as you mention, refusing to go below 700. Other times it will go down to around 400. Other times 550, etc. etc.

Long story short: Ignore it. Completely.

As to the OP: Don't hold your breath. They also mentioned a patch to "fix" bump and off charging, among other things. It is just typical PR: "Huh? You have a problem? Oh, yea...we're workin' on it. Hang in there, and keep sending money our way! kthxbai!"

Sure, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a patch on the way, but don't expect it to be to "fix major froyo problems" ( Unless it forces a factory reset. ) So far, almost every single "major froyo problem" has been a specific user issue ( Not saying the user did anything wrong. Just that it is user apps misbehaving and needing reinstall/reset ) or a sort of one off ( theres been a few issues such as the blown earpiece. Known issue, appears to be tied to a possible factory defect that just didn't come into play/show itself in 2.1 ) and even at least 1 where there isn't a problem to begin with ( slow charge times. The charge time after Froyo is exactly what the charge time is supposed to be, listed in the manual and on your cable...Eclair was actually charging way too fast and causing problems. So they brought the charge time down to the correct time, thus fixing a bug. )

Also, the Flash update to 10.1.92.2 will probably be in the market in not too long, and that seems to fix a lot of lag issues.

Upvote 0
I find it interesting that HTC woud confirm "severe battery drain issues" but a good number of users with 2.2 have seen no change in battery or better.

I myself did see a drop in battery the first couple days, but it did even out, and now my battery is good as ever.

Said it in several other posts, other posters have relayed the same message. Initially after your update you will see a drop in battery life. One reason my be because you are having a grand ol time checking out the new Froyo features thus leading to more phone use. Another reason could be because the battery calibration was reset with the update and when its recalibrate days down the line battery life seems improved.

My suggestion is give it a couple days and see if the battery is better or not. Don't worry too much about checking in on apps to see if they are running, or trying to kill apps because then you end up wasting time and battery using your app killers. If after a couple days it still seems shotty then we can turn to software or hardware defects....or even just individual users and apps.

oh yeah, and a factory reset really does make a difference. Many reports of this.

I say this just out of my own personal experience with Froyo.

Reactions: eagleOne
Upvote 0
This is incredibly variable. Right off the bat: When looking at this number you are increasing it a fair bit between having the phone on, which runs Android, as well as System Panel itself.

You also need to run and close System Panel several times, and watch the number for over a minute to get any kind of useful number.

I have good battery life, and plenty of times I have seen it do exactly as you mention, refusing to go below 700. Other times it will go down to around 400. Other times 550, etc. etc.

Long story short: Ignore it. Completely.

As to the OP: Don't hold your breath. They also mentioned a patch to "fix" bump and off charging, among other things. It is just typical PR: "Huh? You have a problem? Oh, yea...we're workin' on it. Hang in there, and keep sending money our way! kthxbai!"

Sure, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a patch on the way, but don't expect it to be to "fix major froyo problems" ( Unless it forces a factory reset. ) So far, almost every single "major froyo problem" has been a specific user issue ( Not saying the user did anything wrong. Just that it is user apps misbehaving and needing reinstall/reset ) or a sort of one off ( theres been a few issues such as the blown earpiece. Known issue, appears to be tied to a possible factory defect that just didn't come into play/show itself in 2.1 ) and even at least 1 where there isn't a problem to begin with ( slow charge times. The charge time after Froyo is exactly what the charge time is supposed to be, listed in the manual and on your cable...Eclair was actually charging way too fast and causing problems. So they brought the charge time down to the correct time, thus fixing a bug. )

Also, the Flash update to 10.1.92.2 will probably be in the market in not too long, and that seems to fix a lot of lag issues.

its consistently around 700. it used to idle around 200-300, not anymore. i dont really care seeing how my battery life is not bad. just was curious if others noticed that also.

Upvote 0
its consistently around 700. it used to idle around 200-300, not anymore. i dont really care seeing how my battery life is not bad. just was curious if others noticed that also.

Yea, I am fairly certain the actual clock usually sits higher, but the usage lower. I don't actually know enough about this side of things ( I'm mainly a PC person...so power drain isn't exactly an issue, hehe )

As you mention, battery life is fine...so, it isn't exactly a cause for killing batteries ( which is almost always a downloaded app.. ) <shrug> Maybe someone can get some more details from HTC on this.

Upvote 0
I dont understand what is so hard about doing a factory reset. Problems solved....so simple.

Reluctantly did a factory reset. Problem not solved. Not so simple for everyone.,

Have had significant battery drain sinve OTA 2.2. Using the 1750 battery and could get thru 8-12 hours, depending on usage. Was getting 4-6 hours after 2.2 update. Did the factory reset, still getting 4-6 hours.

Plus the factory reset is a PIA for me (config for work email, redownloading apps, re-configuring everything, etc.).

Upvote 0
I was about to call Verizon as well. Earlier in the week I mentioned my incredible stock battery was lasting about 8hrs with very minimal and marginal use. Battery drain is simply unacceptable to me (as I'm sure it is for you). A lot of folks here are incredulous of such claims simply because they were/are fortunate enough to not have gotten hit in the face with this battery life bug.

Anyway, thanks for calling Verizon support and reporting back.

Upvote 0
Reluctantly did a factory reset. Problem not solved. Not so simple for everyone.,

Have had significant battery drain sinve OTA 2.2. Using the 1750 battery and could get thru 8-12 hours, depending on usage. Was getting 4-6 hours after 2.2 update. Did the factory reset, still getting 4-6 hours.

Plus the factory reset is a PIA for me (config for work email, redownloading apps, re-configuring everything, etc.).

How do you charge your phone?

This may not affect you, but some people have been reporting charging the phone while off is charging it very fast ( similar to 2.1 overcharge speed ), but once they unplug it...it drops fast as well. It sounds like it is just a mis-reading, and the battery was actually nowhere near full charge, which could be causing at least some battery issues.

Upvote 0
If your having battery issues turn off Wifi when not using your phone. My stock battery will last me about 1.5 days. I am by no means a power user.

Since update to froyo my battery lasts about 14-16 hours if I'm barely using it to my standards (less than normal).

With Wifi on and phone in sleep my battery went from 61 to 17 in about 4 hours.

With Wifi off it uses about 2-3 percent per hour while in sleep mode.

I did kill everything including advanced task killer before putting to sleep. That means no task killer running in sleep mode.

Also my battery read 92% and I turned it off and then back off and it read 100% in a span of 2 minutes. WTF is that about!

Upvote 0
im having the same problems with the update so i called my carrier and they told me to do the factory reset which i already did and my phone was still messed up so they called htc while i was on the phone and they said they know they have problems with the update.

anyways they have a fix and some stores have the update some dont in my case the closet store to me doesnt so there sending me a brand new phone with the new update hopefully get it at the end of the week

Upvote 0
How do you charge your phone?

This may not affect you, but some people have been reporting charging the phone while off is charging it very fast ( similar to 2.1 overcharge speed ), but once they unplug it...it drops fast as well. It sounds like it is just a mis-reading, and the battery was actually nowhere near full charge, which could be causing at least some battery issues.

I usually charge the phone overnight while on. But when I disconnect I do see a fast drain/drop of ~10% within moments.

I just got off the phone w/ VZW where rep recommended Advanced Task Killer. Ugh... Then said that the specs indicate the battery should last 318 minutes (5.3 hours) under normal usage and that my current battery duration falls within that so there isn't really anything more to be done.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones