2.2 upgrade causes browser crash when using flashSupport

Last Updated:

1. dabears900

dabears900 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I got the OTA Froyo update this morning. I updated and everything seemed to go smoothly. I checked the version and its showing 2.2 and software 3.21.605.1. The problem happens when I either try to open a web page that uses flash or try to play a video through flash player. The flash player is showing as installed as version 10.1.72.7. The browser will just close when i try to view flash and when I start it back up it reverts back to a fresh start going back to the home page. Very frustrating especially since the only thing i really wanted from 2.2 was the flash although the flashlight is pretty awesome, haha.

Thanks!

Advertisement
    SCARLETnGREY likes this.
  2. Chaoz

Chaoz Banned

Same here. The browser just closes on me. Try MSN.com. It closes on me right before the flash ADs start to load....Ive had the same issue on two other pages as well. Frustrating....

I didnt do a factory reset when I got the update. Planning on doing it tomorrow though so we'll see if that fixes it.

3. dsb9938

dsb9938 Well-Known Member Developer

4. Hartsblade

Hartsblade Active Member

5. dabears900

dabears900 Active Member This Topic's Starter

6. kenshinxl

kenshinxl Member

I had a similar problem where the browser would just crash without any warning. I did a hard reset and believe the issue is now fixed. Haven't crashed since.

Directions on how to do a hard reset: How to hard reset the HTC DROID Incredible - Know Your Cell

You will lose all your settings, applications and data if you go this route. You will also have to reactivate the phone. Fortunately I was rooted and had titanium backup.

7. Chaoz

Chaoz Banned

Thanks, I will def try the hard rest tomorrow.

8. Crasher23

Crasher23 New Member

Hi, I know this is an old post but as it is the first one that appears on google results when you type "flash crash on android 2.2" and I spend the whole last week trying to solve this problem I want to post the solution that worked for me (I looked into a lot of places for the solution)

My device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" GT-P1000 - Android 2.2 froyo

Problem (at least for me):
    Flash site load and after a few seconds the browser crash, both opera 11 and the default android browser.

Solutions that I found that did not worked:
    -Upgrade via the android market to flash player 10.2 - 10.3
    -Hard Reset
    -Factory Reset
    -Set the default browser plugins to work on demand.

Solution (At least for me):
    Short Version:
    -Reinstall flash from an android executable file instead of android market.

Long Version:
    -Get flash 10.1 for android 2.2 from other source different than the android marked as an executable file(Name of file I found:"com.adobe.flashplayer-1.apk")
    -Go to settings-> Applications and check the box which says Unknown Sources (Allow install of non-market applications)
    -Execute/Install flash player from the .apk file, say yes to the warning of a system application being replaced.
    -Enjoy the freaking flash player working again.

Note: I disabled the automatic updates to flash player in the android market, so I have not tested if updating to versions 10.2 or 10.3 brings back the problem, if I update at some point I'll let you know how it goes.

Also got my flash player installer for android from this link but I'm not sure how long the link is going to be up
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?s7kl3ryno2yfra4
    or
    http://www.droid-life.com/2010/08/23/download-official-flash-10-1-v10-1-92-8-for-froyo-now/ (as dsb9938/Dennis mentioned above)

Hope this helps someone. (Certainly it would have helped me a few days ago)