• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 2.2 upgrade has made my phone utterly useless!!

Oshidori

Lurker
Sep 2, 2010
Evening all,

I've been having a ton of issues with my Moto Droid since the upgrade! I am so close to throwing the damn thing at a wall I get so frustrated! This is what's been happening:

• Touch gets disabled somehow, especially when trying to answer or end calls. I've missed so many phone calls because of this!! A lot of the time my phone just completely freezes, and I have to take out the battery in order to 'fix' it. Sometimes several times in a row.
  • Apps freeze and kill the phone, again I have to take the battery out in order to remedy this.
  • Apps don't load at all. It doesn't kill the phone, but I sometimes have to try several times to get an app to load, or I have to power off and turn it back on again.
  • Everything lags.
  • Sometimes the phone goes dead. My little blinky indicator light stops blinking, and I can't get the screen to wake up. It doesn't power down or anything, it just goes kaput at random times. Again, I have to remove the battery to fix this, and sometimes I have to do that several times in a row too.
  • It resets all the freaking time.
  • Tonight I had to take out the battery so many times within one hour just to check my mail that I lost count!!
  • Sometimes it doesn't pair up with my Bluetooth headset, even though it goes through all the motions. Like, I hear the headset turn on, I see it sync up and hear it sync up... and then everything goes through the phone speaker as if the headset weren't turned on at all. Again, have to turn the phone off and on in order to get it going, sometimes several times.

I've tried doing a hard reset as I've read in these forums, but it actually seems to have made things worse. I wonder if it was because I got one of the more recent updates when it rebooted. I've had my Droid since May and I absolutely loved it, but now it's just making me incredibly angry! Is anyone else experiencing this?

And also, since I have a feeling I'll have to get a replacement phone (although if I could I'd rather downgrade to 2.1 since my phone worked perfectly before the upgrade), if and when things work fine how do I get Flash? It seems like some people have already gotten it from the market, but I don't see it? Or are only those who have rooted their phones able to get it?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: jumbodroid
Yay! It was a bad app after all (ADW Launcher). Got rid of that and Quick Desk since that would just crash and now everything seems to be working beautifully.

But either way for future reference, how would I go about rebooting in Safe Mode? I just took a guess of what it might be and it just happened to work since I couldn't figure out how.

Upvote 0
A better thing to do (and I have been saying this for over a month now) is to perform a factory reset after you get the OTA update - even if you force it yourself.

Another good idea for users still on FRG01B is to go to Pete's site and get the master update - instead of patching your system files one by one, it simply erases the system 'partition' and replaces it with all pre-compiled files - no patching.

Then you can patch to FRG22D, and then, if it still acts funny, perform a factory reset.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones