• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 2.2 v 2.3: Is it really worth it?

turbohobbit

Android Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2010
England
Just going through various threads on this forum and especially in light of various issues highlighted with GingerROMS, I was just wondering what we all thought about the advantages of going over to a Gingerbread ROM such as GingerVillain or Oxygen over sticking with a 2.2 ROM such as LeeDroid or DeFrost. Putting aside the Sense v Vanilla thing for a minute - 2.2 is 2.2 and 2.3 is 2.3 - is it worth being an 2.3 "early adopter" or is it better to stick with a well supported and robust 2.2 ROM until such time as 2.3 is widely accepted as the norm?

Just interested in people here thought...

Still undecided myself. Went for GV as a break from Sense and figured I'd have a look at 2.3 as it was available.

Like the dark menus (esp as I have an amoled desire, which does black better) but not really sure 2.3 has much to get excited about. Probably lots of technical 'under the bonnet' improvements that someone will be along to tell you about soon.

I've had no issues with GV though (once I figured out how to install/restore properly), everything I want to do with it works fine.

Upvote 0
if you have no problem with either what does it matter?
i mean ive used alsorts and tbh i get the same benefits for each and i dont see what 2.3 really has over 2.2 other than character selection overhaul, screen off animation etc.
thing is though theres nothing i had on 2.2 that made it better than 2.3 so i might aswell have these tweeks and keep 2.3.

after using miui which imo is still the most functional rom i have ever used, i asked myself if i need all these features and tbh im glad i sacked it all off went simple (for now)

Upvote 0
Getting back on track, think I'm going to revert back to DeFroSt 6.1 for a bit. TO be honest I do like the GingerVillain ROM, but equally I do use both CoPilot and Endomondo (which also isn't working due to a lack of GPS support) so whatever marginal gains I'm getting using GV are quickly neutralised by a lack of GPS. Also, the wife is starting to get a bit miffed with the mic lag issue ;-)

Queastion, perhaps for Su Root: If I go back to 6.1, will the EViollet kernel still work or is this a 2.3 kernel. If not, what kernel would you recommend for decent battery life and performance (a balancing act, I know...)?

Reactions: SUroot
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones