2.2 Verizon confirmed problemSupport

Last Updated:

1. Crosley123

Crosley123 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all. I started the thread below after dealing with Verizon and HTC regarding the 2.2 software and have an update:

http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/167864-2-2-update-htc-confirms-major-problems.html

After doing a hard reset and running with no apps other than the standard issue Incredible, my battery life is still stuck at around 5 hours. With no talking, no texting, etc. Proved it to the folks in the Verizon store by coming in first thing in the morning and then after lunch. They got on the phone with HTC front line, then back line, then a special representative. Confirmed that for some HTC Incredible users, there is a problem and HTC is working to fix.

Verizon asked if I wanted to try a different phone or accept a new stock battery. I have a nice Zagg cover on my phone so I opted to keep it for now, but did ask for a wall charger (so I could keep one at work) and they handed one over at no charge.

HTC would not provide details on the bug or when it would be fixed. But for once, I can honestly say I thought Verizon did all they could do for now. Will give it more time and see what happens.

Please stay on topic for this. Any similar stories/problems?

Advertisement
    jes0212 likes this.
  2. NilsE

NilsE Well-Known Member

I spoke to customer support this morning and they gave a different but same response.

The difference was that they said it is a known problem and Google was working on the fix. They confirmed that 2.2 is using 30 to 40% more of the battery than it should. If this is true I don't like it since that means it has to go through Google testing, then HTC testing then VZW testing. Think that equates to maybe 6 years of testing :D

They did not have an ETA for the fix which is the normal answer just that they are waiting on Google

The woman I spoke with said she has the Incredible also and is waiting patiently for the fix.

3. dryfly

dryfly Member

As HTC/Verizon/etc.. knows that battery life is/was probably the most 'pressing' problem faced by users since the initial release of the Dinc, it kills me that 2.2 was released with this kind of continuing situtation. For them to 'identify' this as a problem after the release is suprising. What happened to alpha/beta testing?

4. markketch

markketch Well-Known Member

My battery has been fantastic since the move to 2.2. I'd say it's probably lasting 30%-35% longer than it was on 2.1.

5. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Same here.

6. chral513

chral513 Well-Known Member

Same here - since 2.2 I am getting noticably better battery life. Strange alot of people getting different results.

7. sal_shawn

sal_shawn Well-Known Member

Yeah that is true for me as well. But it odd I first got the update and my battery life real blow, 3-5 hours with no use. Then a few days later it just improved, I can go 8 hours of hard use. I did nothing, no factory reset or anything.

8. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

See, once again, here is the problem I have with this thread. I have not seen anything formal regarding HTC or Verizon confirming a problem with 2.2. This is simply your experience with them, nothing else. Everyone has a story regarding a CSR whether it's from Verizon, HTC or Walmart for that matter. Not to say you are not having serious issues, I truly believe you are. But I'd look for alternatives and try to fix it yourself. Are you rooted?

9. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

forums messed up for a sec.

10. Eris Lover

Eris Lover Well-Known Member

I love beating horses!

11. LiquidBreadMan

LiquidBreadMan Active Member

Stock Incredible with Froyo 2.2

I installed BatteryLeft on the phone and wanted to do a full calibration, which means you have to let the battery run down all the way to dead while the calibration is running.

I turned on GPS, Bluetooth and Wifi. Then I set the phone down on my desk on a Saturday night at about 7:00, figuring it would die overnight and then I'd have a nicely calibrated battery.

Sunday morning the battery was still running strong. Sunday night at 7:00 pm... still running strong.

I had to go ahead and charge it so I'd have it for work on Monday.

Monday morning I play with the thing all the way to work (1.5 hours on the train) and then put it in a metal box in my desk drawer where I was pretty much guaranteed it didn't have a signal to get it to finally die.

Here's the deal. I'm not saying that the battery will last forever. For me, at least, the thing that chomps my battery is the screen and searching for a signal. Nav will also chew it up pretty fast, but 5 hours of doing nothing with the phone shouldn't kill it.

Take the phone back and demand a new one.

12. Crosley123

Crosley123 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks everyone, but a few more details. My wife's phone has the exact same problem. We received them on the same day.

Not saying some people do not have problems. But many of us do.

This thread was more of a reminder to folks to keep bugging Verizon. And demand *something* in return. For me, a wall charger will work for now. Hoping they do know what the problem is and are working to fix it.

13. Bookendart

Bookendart Member

I've always managed to eek out enough battery life to get me through my day and experienced noticably better battery life after the 2.2 update, until 3 days ago...

I'm not sure what happened that would explain the change. i haven't added any applications in the last few days, but the ones I have downloaded from the app market are now set to automatically update. I am wondering if something that was updated is now killing my battery, but I don't know how to figure out which one. Could anyone give me a suggestion for how to discover which one might be the problem?? I'm still using the phone the same way and same amount of time as I was last week, but my battery is now dying after 4 or 5 hours, so something seems to be amuck. I would hesitate to blame in on the update, as my battery life was great on 2.2, and up to 3 days ago I could easily get 12 hours out of it.

Thanks for the help! I really love this phone :)

14. jprow507

jprow507 Well-Known Member

Whats strange with mine is that it appears the phone can sleep properly (a problem which I had with 2.1 and a reason for poor battery life some days) .... whenever I check awake to sleep time it is always a 1:4 or 1:3 ratio like it should be.

However, with that said I have still noticed the battery draining faster with less usage for some reason. I thought 2.2 was supposed to be more efficient on battery use... maybe this is a HTC Sense issue instead.

15. NilsE

NilsE Well-Known Member

Probably a battery issue :D

16. Adamx

Adamx Well-Known Member

I believe it's a radio issue. I get pretty decent life with an older radio firmware. Wouldn't be surprised if the next OTA is a radio upgrade.

17. Rachel A

Rachel A Well-Known Member

I'm stuck with the sucky battery life whilst my parter can leave her phone overnight and still have an almost full charge.

And I know it's not the battery since I swapped them out one day :D although I had no discernible difference in life...

So I think much can be just what you do with the phone - I've several more widgets and apps than her so my guess (at least for me) is that's where my problem lies.

R

18. chiadrum

chiadrum Member

Yes this is strange.I did a factory reset on mine and I run WiFi and GPS and Facebook sync off and now my battery life is definitely better.I never turned GPS off before-I think that is the difference.On an average day I would say 30 minutes of GPS and 30 minutes of web and constantly checking/responding to corp. email and an hour so of talk time is no problem.I still go to bed with 20%.My phone now uses almost no battery when idle.I have had days where I barely touch the phone and late at night I am at 80%.I am running Juice Defender free version,no idea if that helps.
    I will root tonight and see how that affects things.

19. teacha6141

teacha6141 Member

since i rooted my Dinc and installed App Killer, I have no problems with the battery..admitted it is not the greatest, but still i have no problem getting thru the day..One thing I did do that I personally think helped a lot is that i installed the Hydra Kernel 1.5..It overclocks when needed, but also shuts down as needed as well when not in use..