2.2..?

Last Updated:

1. tre26

tre26 New Member This Topic's Starter

SO when is android 2.2 going to come to the aria cause im aware the software is out there on some phones

Advertisement
  2. backflipper

backflipper Member

Sometime in December, others will get it sooner but well have to wait because of sense UI

3. xti14

xti14 Active Member

Yea i heard that we will be getting froyo, or 2.2 sometime in the fourth quarter.

A friend who has the Droid rooted his phone and is running 2.2...its amazing. The one thing I really like is that we will actually be able to stream videos within our browser!

4. Droidized

Droidized Well-Known Member

And load applications to SD card!

5. Ambictus

Ambictus Well-Known Member

Well, I'm running a custom Froyo based CyanogenMod alpha ROM built by the liberatedAria crew. They have some things that need to be implemented still but other than that it's working great. If you don't mind doing a little tinkering it's fun to load. However just be aware that there is always the risk of bricking your phone when playing with ROMS and whatnot.

Note that you have to have Clockwork Recovery already installed to do it.

ROM: cyanogenmod: CM6-Liberty (FroYo) - xda-developers

I can't stress enough though... DO NOT do this if you don't feel comfortable doing it.

Edit: Also voice to text isn't working. Here's a screenshot

[​IMG]

6. markj

markj Active Member

I really want to try rooting my Aria, but I'm pretty content with it as it is. EXCEPT for the unbelievably CRAP battery life I seem to be experiencing.

To be honest, I haven't really been following Froyo much at all... sorry for my ignorance, but does it promise better battery life?

7. symond

symond Well-Known Member

kool i should try it

8. xti14

xti14 Active Member

9. lx4svr

lx4svr Member

The bad battery life is due to the crappy bloatware that both AT&T and htc put on. That is the main reason why I rooted mine. Under the about phone in setting you can see what is using your battery. After I removed the AT&T bloatware as well as footprints, fmradio, and quickoffice the android system went from 65% of battery use down to 10% of the battery use and now the battery last about three times as long. I still have not gone to froyo yet, for I love my aria as it is and do not want to go to froyo until it is more functional.

10. strose09

strose09 Well-Known Member

Damn I wish I was smart enough to root mine to get rid of the bloatware don't want to take the chance of messing something up :(. I looked at the instructions and it seems quite complicated to me.

11. Ambictus

At this point it's actually ridiculously easy. Someone made a CD image that all you do is burn it to a CD, pop it in and reboot your machine. This CD will boot you into a temporary linux. Just plug your phone into your computer, enable debugging and run the unrEVOked program and you're rooted.

Edit: Here's a link to the post with the CD http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=741824

Griffeycom likes this.
  12. RocketRay

RocketRay Active Member

I've rooted mine with unrevoked, but how do I remove the bloatware? Do I need to burn a custom ROM as well?

13. lx4svr

lx4svr Member

It only took me about 10 minutes to root my device, and about 5 minutes of that was the nandroid backup of my phone, for you should always backup before making any changes.

14. Ambictus

I believe just go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications:
    then select the application you want to remove and uninstall it. I personally skipped this process and just flashed to one of the Liberated ROMs(b003 I believe is the most stable of them).

15. lx4svr

lx4svr Member

You need to download the SDK tools from android.com
    Android SDK | Android Developers

Then follow the instruction on booting into clockwork. I recommend that instead of deleting the apps that you want you just create a directory (I called my directory disable) and movethe app.apk and app.obex into that directory.

I use linux and not windows so I can not say how easy it is for a windows user, but on linux it was far to easy. (the websites will have greater detail if you need it.)

1. download unrevoked3 and follow the instruction on how to use it.
    2. enable usb debugging on your phone and launch the unrevoked3 app called reflash
    3. when you are in clockwork mount your system directory.
    4. on your PC use the sdk tool called adb with the shell command (for linux sudo ./adb shell)
    the cd to system/app
    make dir disable
    mv appname.apk disable/
    mv appname.obex disable/
    exit
    5. unmount the system and reboot your phone.

Griffeycom likes this.
  16. lx4svr

lx4svr Member

That will only work with apps that you download but for software apps that arefactory installed then that will not work.

Griffeycom likes this.