2.3.6 Battery life sucksSupport

1. dksmoove

dksmoove Member

Just to clarify, Juice Defender PLUS?
  2. rmreid

rmreid Well-Known Member

Agreed, it is a major PITA, but hopefully it helps in some small way to resolve the WiFi bug issue on the GS2 :rolleyes: by Samsung replicating the issue we may get a fix....
    I would have to believe that Samsung can take the device and replicate the issue but they continue to deny that their hearing any complaints. I wore them out on Twitter similar to a a few of the other members here have done and the Galaxy S Support team stopped answering my tweets and started sending me private messages on twitter instead ;)

We shall see what happens
  3. enojy

enojy Active Member

I just wanted to illustrate that battery life seems to be just fine with wifi turned off. If wifi is not crucially important to you, there's nothing wrong with this update. This was with a fair amount of texting, a few brief phone calls, and a little bit of Hanging With Friends (battery hog!)

I did plug the phone into my PC for around 15 minutes for data transfer purposes, and even excluding that small charge (maybe 1-2%) I am pleased with 2.3.6 battery life.

[​IMG]
  4. wolfyboy359

wolfyboy359 Well-Known Member

Ok, here's the deal: I was initially using Battery Defender, but after a few days decided to try Juice Defender Plus. I haven't been using that very long but so far I am impressed. Mainly with the intellegence of the design, I don't know about battery life yet. But it works with our phones now, so maybe if you want to shell out $2.99...
  5. Skaziwu

Skaziwu New Member

Wifi isn't literally "crucial" to me, but it is an advertised feature of a phone that I paid for, and this update effectively broke my usage of it.

I'm definitely disappointed by the lack of acknowledgement and action from AT&T/Samsung/Google on this. Also, there seems to have been a severe lack of testing before the (forced) push of the update.

A couple of questions for the scrum:

1. How widespread is this issue? Is anyone NOT seeing it?

2. Is anyone outside AT&T/Galaxy S II seeing the same issue? In my searching, I've only found this happening on the AT&T GSII. Has 2.3.6 been pushed by other providers?
  6. Skaziwu

Skaziwu New Member

I attempted to get some information on this issue via AT&T's Wireless Support Chat yesterday. I didn't get far. Basically, the rep said he's heard of the issue, but knows nothing about it, AT&T can do nothing about it, and that I should contact Samsung.

In my opinion, he was either lazy about escalating for me, or they're stonewalling the issue.

Here's the complete chat session, with the interesting bits highlighted, if you're interested:

7. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

There's talk on the GS2 International forum about "weird wi-fi issues" and "poor battery life" but I'm not sure if those folks (seem to be mostly in Britain) have had 2.3.6 pushed to them or not.
  8. jackal2001

jackal2001 Member

I've already chatted with samsung and they don't know anything about it, or so they say.
  9. rmreid

rmreid Well-Known Member

I think that everyone agrees that the battery is fine when not using "WiFi" but since I am not on an unlimited data plan, WiFi is critical to me so that I don't have any overages, plus it is usually faster than my 4G connection for synching or downloading - So WiFi is critically important to me!
  10. enojy

enojy Active Member

Very good point! I'll turn wifi on all day tomorrow after a full charge to see how it behaves.
  11. jackal2001

jackal2001 Member

I'm at 1 day 6 hrs at 62% battery with wifi turned off. I turn it on only when checking something at home. for the most part my phone is used lightly.
  12. rlstrickler

rlstrickler New Member

Can anyone suggest a good battery life extender? And how to configure it? 7 am !00% 7 pm 6% and having to charge in car on way home. UGH
    I am thinking of returning the galaxy for an iphone.
  13. jackal2001

jackal2001 Member

turn off wifi. i have had mine on for over 2 days now and battery is at 23%.
  14. weaver4

weaver4 Member

Here is some new information.

With WiFi on at my work I get over 20hours of use.

But at home, same setup, WiFi on, the battery only last about 10-12 hours.

My work WiFi has about 10x the traffic on it as my home network. But my home network has several DNLA devices on it.

Anyone else see a relationship between low battery life and DNLA devices on their network?
  15. weaver4

weaver4 Member

Have people been successful downgrading 2.3.6 to 2.3.4? Or do they run into other problems.
  16. rmreid

rmreid Well-Known Member

Received an email today from Samsung Support stating that they had received my GS2 and had begun testing with a specific focus around WiFi battery consumption, and the abnormally high Android OS battery usage when WiFi is on.

I'm hoping that they find something that helps us with this issue.
    ay42, IndyDave and jackal2001 like this.
  17. weaver4

weaver4 Member

rmread: They may not be successful. My initial testing shows that it may depend on what else is on the network that you connect to. I have tried my Samsung phone on three networks; Home, Work and Church and the battery life varies by 3x; yes 3x.
  18. rmreid

rmreid Well-Known Member

Interesting :confused: not sure why there would be variability?
    Maybe someone can explain why this would or could happen?
  19. weaver4

weaver4 Member

Probably because some application or service on the network is "Hammering" the Samsung Phone. Like sending it a broadcast message, or pinging it, or send a DLNA Discovery, Arp, ...

I have been thinking of setting up WireShark to see if I can find out what the service is; but I just don't have time today.
  20. dksmoove

dksmoove Member

I don't understand why they need a consumer's SG2 to inspect the issue... can't they just inspect one of the models that they have at their place?

As this issue seems to be ubiquitous...
  21. rmreid

rmreid Well-Known Member

I did some testing with my families phones on my WiFi home network and battery life.
    Phones in test all are AT&T: 3gs, HTC Inspire 4G, BB 8310
    I tried to set up all of the above phones with the same or similar apps as I have on my GS2 where ever possible and removed any other apps.
    All 3 phones had no issue with "abnormal" battery drain and spent the entire day (about 14hrs) on WiFi

Not scientific testing but IMHO proves there is an issue with 2.3.6 on WiFi and battery life on the GS2.
  22. j510

j510 Well-Known Member

Previously :Stock 2.3.6 . Battery = 18 hrs. - 23 hours. Moderate - heavy use.

Currently : Stock 2.3.6 . Juice defender (free version) setting: aggressive. Battery = 1 day 15 hours. Moderate to heavy use.
  23. j510

j510 Well-Known Member

Forgot to add wifi used almost all the time at home and carrier service when out
  24. j510

j510 Well-Known Member

Also on phone calls for hours ( what use to kill my battery fast )
  25. TripleFall

TripleFall Member

I am right now at 60% -- 7h 29min 39sec on battery.

Android OS - 34%
    Display - 30%
    Skyfire- 9%
    Android System - 9%
    Web - 7%
    Cell standby 4%