• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.3 GingerBread for Captivate[discussion]

that could potentially become the case..
I mean the nexus s comes out the 16th, so maybe around then we will get 2.3 ???

I think you are forgetting what service provider we have. If AT&T has anything to do with the software on the phone, there will be lengthy delays in rolling out updates. We have been promised Froyo, but I wouldn't go so far to hope for Gingerbread for fear of getting my hopes dashed to pieces.

Upvote 0
I think you are forgetting what service provider we have. If AT&T has anything to do with the software on the phone, there will be lengthy delays in rolling out updates. We have been promised Froyo, but I wouldn't go so far to hope for Gingerbread for fear of getting my hopes dashed to pieces.
This would be true for an official Gingerbread release. However, with the Nexus S getting updates so frequently direct from Google, & the hardware between it & our phone so similar, ROM chefs will be able to port the Nexus S builds over to us :cool:

Upvote 0
There needs to be an LOL! button on this forum ;)

I'm wondering if they will wait and just give us Gingerbread. I really don't care, ultimately, the phone works fine for me, it's the principle of the thing to me. The longer they take the more crippled I believe it will be - because that's what is taking the time, crippling up the software so we can't root, or tether, or whatever it is they don't want us to do.

Upvote 0
does a single person on here know why they want 2.3?

2.2 is big as it has performance improvements. they have said 2.2 is the last performance update, atleast for awhile. 2.3, and this is a guess, is based mainly on the visual aspects, and thus people like samsung, motorola, htc wont benefit much from it, only phones running vanilla android will. now im not sure on that and i missed any announcement as i had class but i dont know if 2.3 brings anything new and impressive, like the jit compiler and flash did with 2.2

Upvote 0
In all seriousness though, 2.3 is the latest and the greatest, of course we want it. It isn't like it would be hard for them to do either, Samsung already has it optimized for a mildly different phone from ours- they have all of the drivers, source code, and api's- it would be kind of a slap in the face if they don't give it to us; and yet somehow I can't see them giving a 2.3 update. I will be pleasantly surprised if they do.

Upvote 0
What's new in Android 2.3 'Gingerbread?' Tablets, NFC, Games | Software News - Betanews

so i read this to see what is included in 2.3 and there is next to nothing that will support our phones. it expands android for future phones that will have hardware to accept some of these new features. sure there are a couple of little things but 99% of people will not recognize them. its not a big upgrade like 2.2 is from 2.1. and i understand wanting the newest available os, but it remains that you really wont notice it

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
well i know for a fact,, that the sony erricson x10 just got 2..1 and others are still on 1.6..

and my email to skype told me that it will be working on the captivate very shortly when i upgrade to 2.2..

and 2.3 just gets released and people want it already

people need to rememeber android is new,, carried over many platforms,,,

its no boring apple with only one phone,,,

if anyone didnt think there would be growing pains with this OS,, need to have another look,,

and if your GPS doesnt work,, send the phone back as my phone is just over a month old and GPS works fine,, only lag is with bloomberg app so far,,,

so there is definetly a fix,,,

boohoo on here isnt going to do you a ounce of good,,,

Upvote 0
Some people (like me) are using the release of 2.3 to harp on Samsung/at&t for not having 2.2 out already. Froyo has been out for a year- the Captivate, half that long. It should have been on there at launch. See what I mean?

Android (and even iPhone) users are, generally speaking, techies. Manufacturers know what techies want- the latest and greatest.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones