1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

2.3 GingerBread for Captivate[discussion]

1. compscidev

compscidev Well-Known Member

Now that 2.3 is officially out (via Android.com) us samsung owners must feel pretty bad. We are officially two firmware releases behind. :confused:
    Good thing is now that the Nexus S is official and has the same exact specs as our phones I'm sure roms will come quickly for it.
    Nexus S ? Google Phone Gallery

Maybe devs will get us 2.3 before samsung releases 2.2:eek:

Advertisement
    :
  2. ndfi79

ndfi79 New Member

I wonder why they don't just skip 2.2 and go straight to 2.3. Especially since Samsung and Google worked on the Nexus S together you know they have it already converted to their bloatware version.
  3. compscidev

compscidev Well-Known Member

that could potentially become the case..
    I mean the nexus s comes out the 16th, so maybe around then we will get 2.3 ???
  4. mnemonicj

mnemonicj Well-Known Member

I think you are forgetting what service provider we have. If AT&T has anything to do with the software on the phone, there will be lengthy delays in rolling out updates. We have been promised Froyo, but I wouldn't go so far to hope for Gingerbread for fear of getting my hopes dashed to pieces.
  5. itsmrcuddles

itsmrcuddles New Member

Quoted for truth.
  6. northernale1

northernale1 Well-Known Member

wholy shit sony erricsson just got 2.1 2 weeks ago thereabouts,,, so still far ahead of some out there,,
  7. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Well-Known Member

This would be true for an official Gingerbread release. However, with the Nexus S getting updates so frequently direct from Google, & the hardware between it & our phone so similar, ROM chefs will be able to port the Nexus S builds over to us :cool:
  8. mttfrog13

mttfrog13 Well-Known Member

while I didn't root and flash a rom to get froyo early, I will definitely try to get gingerbread on my phone asap.
  9. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Well-Known Member

I will, without question, be putting the 1st ported Nexus S ROM onto my phone.
  10. mttfrog13

mttfrog13 Well-Known Member

anyone else wonder how the nexus s will perform in quadrant (yeah yeah yeah i know benchmarks dont mean much) considering that it has the same hummingbird processor as our phones.
  11. skinien

skinien Well-Known Member

preliminary results show a quadrant score of 8,290,249,876,154 and a half.
    Altair4 likes this.
  12. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto VIP Member

There needs to be an LOL! button on this forum ;)

I'm wondering if they will wait and just give us Gingerbread. I really don't care, ultimately, the phone works fine for me, it's the principle of the thing to me. The longer they take the more crippled I believe it will be - because that's what is taking the time, crippling up the software so we can't root, or tether, or whatever it is they don't want us to do.
  13. emuneee

emuneee Well-Known Member

SuperCurio (behind Voodoo kernels) seems to believe Gingerbread from Samsung is a possibility.

Fran
  14. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

does a single person on here know why they want 2.3?

2.2 is big as it has performance improvements. they have said 2.2 is the last performance update, atleast for awhile. 2.3, and this is a guess, is based mainly on the visual aspects, and thus people like samsung, motorola, htc wont benefit much from it, only phones running vanilla android will. now im not sure on that and i missed any announcement as i had class but i dont know if 2.3 brings anything new and impressive, like the jit compiler and flash did with 2.2
  15. RocketRay

RocketRay Active Member

Cause it's .1 better than 2.2?

I like shiny things.
  16. s.m.knipe

s.m.knipe Well-Known Member

:p maybe they'll fix the GPS in 2.3 ...
  17. s.m.knipe

s.m.knipe Well-Known Member

In all seriousness though, 2.3 is the latest and the greatest, of course we want it. It isn't like it would be hard for them to do either, Samsung already has it optimized for a mildly different phone from ours- they have all of the drivers, source code, and api's- it would be kind of a slap in the face if they don't give it to us; and yet somehow I can't see them giving a 2.3 update. I will be pleasantly surprised if they do.
  18. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

What's new in Android 2.3 'Gingerbread?' Tablets, NFC, Games | Software News - Betanews

so i read this to see what is included in 2.3 and there is next to nothing that will support our phones. it expands android for future phones that will have hardware to accept some of these new features. sure there are a couple of little things but 99% of people will not recognize them. its not a big upgrade like 2.2 is from 2.1. and i understand wanting the newest available os, but it remains that you really wont notice it
  19. From Wiki-

20. northernale1

1/11 sounds awesome,, thats only a year,, i can wait for non buggy firmware then rushed buggy firmware,, the big joke is everyone complains ,, and all the carriers and manufactures are the same,, so you can switch and run,, and look for greener pastures,, but there will still be shit in the field,,
  21. Sorry about the typo- I am being facetious, but I meant to type 1/12 (since we're currently a year behind current technology).
  22. northernale1

we are,,, how so,,, ?? how many phones already actually have 2.2???
  23. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

24. northernale1

well i know for a fact,, that the sony erricson x10 just got 2..1 and others are still on 1.6..

and my email to skype told me that it will be working on the captivate very shortly when i upgrade to 2.2..

and 2.3 just gets released and people want it already

people need to rememeber android is new,, carried over many platforms,,,

its no boring apple with only one phone,,,

if anyone didnt think there would be growing pains with this OS,, need to have another look,,

and if your GPS doesnt work,, send the phone back as my phone is just over a month old and GPS works fine,, only lag is with bloomberg app so far,,,

so there is definetly a fix,,,

boohoo on here isnt going to do you a ounce of good,,,
  25. Some people (like me) are using the release of 2.3 to harp on Samsung/at&t for not having 2.2 out already. Froyo has been out for a year- the Captivate, half that long. It should have been on there at launch. See what I mean?

Android (and even iPhone) users are, generally speaking, techies. Manufacturers know what techies want- the latest and greatest.