• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.3 GingerBread for Captivate[discussion]

if i had it to do over again. i would stay with 2.2 froyo. 2.3.5 GB is to glitchy right now. to many small things. from text messaging to the browser to getting email setup right. this upgrade isnt a upgrade. it is like a very first beta test.

i myself did the factory restore to get ride of the teathering error message. it worked for a little bit when i did the battery pull but once i pluged the phone into my PC it came back. so i did the factory restore.

I also disagree..the update is a good one. And why would you have plug your phone into a PC? Between 2.2 and 2.3 mine never saw a usb connection...not sure of the need other than maybe to flash with Odin

Upvote 0
wife up graded to GB and now she is getting error

the application browser (process.com.android.browser) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. FORCE CLOSE

I am not sure how she updated the phone as my android is on its way.

any suggestions

fixed my error by doing the following

homescreen >menu>Settings>applications>manage applications>select all at the top > select browser> then click on clear data

thanks to Ruth at Samsung

Upvote 0
I disagree, 2.3 is much better than 2.2 imo. Quicker, better battery, wifi connection issues on 2.2 are now fixed, and more...

How is it better? Where are these fixes?

Another wonderful feature of my phone post 2.3.5 update is that the battery tanks. I unplugged it this morning at 09:00, and now at 17:00, it's already dead. 8 hours in full coverage, sending/receiving 8 texts, no calls, all power options off and no internet usage. I didn't even unlock it more than 3 times today.
This is significantly worse than what it was a couple days ago with 2.2. If there are fixes, wonderful. Please link them or explain the fixes before I either throw this phone out the window or try to revert it back to 2.2.
At least my battery lasted longer than 8 hours and the WiFi worked on 2.2.

Upvote 0
I also disagree..the update is a good one. And why would you have plug your phone into a PC? Between 2.2 and 2.3 mine never saw a usb connection...not sure of the need other than maybe to flash with Odin

i connect to the PC to add files, remove files,and mp3's ect.... do it at least twice a week.
i never had a wifi issue so i cant say anything about that problem. now there are so many small issues it sucks. in the middle of a text, the text will close. when getting a new text i click on it to open it, it takes you to the message window with all text and you have to select the text you want. when using the browser every time you go to a new page the checker board design flashes, sometimes it will go to the page you want sometimes it closes all together. as another person stated about the battery. i think it is worse now. less than 8 hours of medium use the battery is below 15% THE ONLY THING i like about this update is the copy and paste is 100% better and the GPS is 100% better. i use ADW EX launcher so i dont see any of the GB stuff.

Upvote 0
Still getting tethering error. Tried the Kies fix, and going in and turning it off and back on. Both worked, temporarily, but every time I reboot the phone, and then reconnect with USB, it starts to come back.

And I refuse to factory reset for this. I am not rooted and can't root, or I lose my ability to access corporate e-mail on my phone.

Upvote 0
I upgraded from a rooted 2.2 to 2.3 and lost root. There's a thread here on rooting 2.3 that worked like a charm. I am now rooted with 2.3. I froze tethering with Titanium Backup and fixed that problem. My phone is now 100%. I have not noticed any difference in battery life at all. 2.3 is not a noticable improvement, for me anyway. I haven't found anything that I couldn't live without. Just my two cents.

Upvote 0
I updated to GB a couple days ago and so far, don't like it. I lost connectivity with my car which worked perfectly before. Bluetooth works and it says it's connected but after a call is place, either voice or manually dialing, it instantly ends. I tried reinstalling the phone book and it still does the dame thing. Not happy. That and I now need a microscope to see the icons in the tool bar.

Any advice on the car issue?

I fixed my issue but doing a reset. It kept GB but I now have connectivity with my car and haven't seen any other issues.

Upvote 0
How is it better? Where are these fixes?

Another wonderful feature of my phone post 2.3.5 update is that the battery tanks. I unplugged it this morning at 09:00, and now at 17:00, it's already dead. 8 hours in full coverage, sending/receiving 8 texts, no calls, all power options off and no internet usage. I didn't even unlock it more than 3 times today.
This is significantly worse than what it was a couple days ago with 2.2. If there are fixes, wonderful. Please link them or explain the fixes before I either throw this phone out the window or try to revert it back to 2.2.
At least my battery lasted longer than 8 hours and the WiFi worked on 2.2.

Don't know about your battery but mine is definitely better now. I can listen to Pandora for 8 straight hours and still have 50% left. That is including a half hour reading an ebook, probably half hour surfing the web and another 20 minutes in calls. It wouldn't do that with 2.2. It could just be that you have an app that isn't playing nicely, or you may need to do a reset? Once I upgraded to 2.2, my wifi stopped automatically connecting to trusted networks when I got within range. I would usually have to turn the wifi radio off and then back on for it to even rescan and recognize networks that i was now in. 2.3 seems to have fixed that and I can seemlessly go from work on wifi, to 3G on the way home and on my wifi at home without any input from me.

Again, these are my experiences and my phone isn't exactly like yours. i think people forget that these are just really small computers with tons of variables.

Upvote 0
I upgraded to 2.3.5 on ATT Captivate.

I factory reset the device, THEN upgraded through Keis.

I'm having lots of issues. These are daily issues. HOW DO I FIX THIS!

1) Messages sometimes don't go out. Messaging system goes blank after I click send. I need to type out and send again.

2) Messages sometimes instantly closes when I open. Not FC, but it closes without warning

3) Android market sometimes cuts off. Won't download anything until phone restart.

4) Phone sometimes dials last number non stop. I click End call, but the phone dials the number over and over about 10 times, before it finally stops.

5) The GPS is even more terrible. Looses connection all the time, takes as much as 20 minutes for the first lock in of position. GPS is basically a worthless broken feature now. I bought the phone primarily for it's GPS

6) Plus random issues happen everyday. I'm talking about basic built in phone features not working.

7) I have to Soft Reset the phone many times a day.

Upvote 0
I upgraded to 2.3.5 on ATT Captivate.

I factory reset the device, THEN upgraded through Keis.

I'm having lots of issues. These are daily issues. HOW DO I FIX THIS!

1) Messages sometimes don't go out. Messaging system goes blank after I click send. I need to type out and send again.

2) Messages sometimes instantly closes when I open. Not FC, but it closes without warning

3) Android market sometimes cuts off. Won't download anything until phone restart.

4) Phone sometimes dials last number non stop. I click End call, but the phone dials the number over and over about 10 times, before it finally stops.

5) The GPS is even more terrible. Looses connection all the time, takes as much as 20 minutes for the first lock in of position. GPS is basically a worthless broken feature now. I bought the phone primarily for it's GPS

6) Plus random issues happen everyday. I'm talking about basic built in phone features not working.

7) I have to Soft Reset the phone many times a day.

I would try another factory reset after the upgrade.

Upvote 0
I meant to say I did Factory reset, then Upgrade to ATT 2.3.5 through Keis, then Factory Reset. What else can I do?

I did all this because I wanted it to go smoothly.

New problems come up all the time. Like a new problem just a now.

On the way somewhere 6 Hours ago, the GPS navigation started talking in a human woman's voice, halfway to the destination. I'm not joking. I never heard that voice before, it's always been a robotic voice. On the way home the whole phone froze for 5 min. and after 5 min. the navigation started talking in the human woman's voice again. The phone froze again, in a couple min. and I had to pull the battery. AHHHHH!

This phone freezes way too often. I need to preemptively soft reset the phone a few times a day just to make sure the phone will work. (Internet, Email, Market, Messaging, EVEN BASIC PHONE.

What are my rights and what can I do about it. ATT sent me a text message to upgrade my phone, so I did. I am a Computer Technician, I know how to avoid problems if possible. I did the upgrade in the safest way possible. How do I get my phone fixed! It gets worse every day since the official update to 2.3.5.

Upvote 0
Is anyone else experiencing any of these problems with the new 2.3.5 update, that I mentioned in different posts?

1) My Captivate is faster, but much worse at the same time.

2) I did notice that I am magically available for a new phone, by ATT, even though it has only been 16 months of my 24 month contract.

It almost seems like ATT and Samsung want me to to buy a new phone.

Anyone else noticing these 2 things. Phone is worse, but a new phone contract is magically available long before the 24 month contract?

It's weird, I just asked an ATT salesman a few months ago, if I could buy a new phone after only 12 months. They said NO, I had to wait 24 months, from my time of purchase.

I don't want to be suckered into buying a new phone. Do I have any rights to tell ATT their update broke my phone? They don't support software, but if my BASIC PHONE can't even send calls or WONT STOP sending calls sometime, wouldn't they be required by law to fix a device they broke with an update?

After all they did send me the text, telling me to update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones