2.3 GingerBread for Captivate[discussion]

1. seanpr123

seanpr123 Well-Known Member

How exactly did he instruct you to put 2.3 on? Through Kies?
  2. GR8ONE68

GR8ONE68 New Member

No, using SDK.

I have not read about rooting or any of that stuff, so I am not one to really ask. I was hoping some of the experts would jump in and comment.
  3. GR8ONE68

GR8ONE68 New Member

Ok, AT&T rep didn't know what he was talking about. No Gingerbread yet.
  4. seanpr123

seanpr123 Well-Known Member

lol
    :face-palm:
  5. js593

js593 Well-Known Member

On Saturday i upgraded to 2.3.3 from Rogers. UNFREAKIN BELIEVABLE.

My battery life on 2.2, used to be at 25-0% by end of day, now im looking at about 70-60% based on usage (still heavy) Wifi works perfectly fine, GPS works better, Googlemaps comes up quicker and is now more accurate.

Text messaging:
    +Alerts dissapear after quick view of message
    -keyboard not included with Gingerbread update (should be automatic, downloaded an app for this)
    -No visual difference between 2.2, and 2.3

Voice:
    +Calls are far more clear
    +2.3 dials WAY quicker then 2.2
    +light sensor works properly on calls and doesnt accidentially turn the phone on in the middle of a call.

Apps:
    Ive had to download a couple, right now, im using ADW with a Honeycomb lookalike (works great, and i love the main screen rotation!)
    All apps are compatible, not a single crashing issue so far
    **BEST OF ALL** FACEBOOK NOW CLOSES AT REQUEST, AND DOESNT EAT YOUR BATTERY!!!!

I have to say, this eliminated just about every concern and issue i had with the original firmware (2.2). Good job Rogers & Samsung!
  6. Android26

Android26 Well-Known Member

*sniff sniff* What's that? Is that Gingerbread I smell? ;)

Must be around the corner!
  7. js593

js593 Well-Known Member

After waking up today, still sat at 63% battery life. If there was a "LIKE" button for Rogers, i would click it a billion times right now. Woke up, checked email, texted gf, toyed around on market, downloaded a few apps, and still sitting at 55%. Overall, i have to say, this is the BEST update ever.
  8. btswein

btswein Well-Known Member

Sad part is that I read Android Central every day, and alot of these carriers that I've never even heard of are getting Gingerbread to their specific Galaxy S devices before AT&T who has WAY more money to invest in R&D. That is sad.
    darkrequiem and LarrynKy like this.
  9. SouthofOttawa

SouthofOttawa Well-Known Member

I hadn't really looked at my battery life after the Rogers upgrade to Gingerbread as I had got so used to leaving my phone plugged in all the time as I was so afraid of draining my battery through the day. I did a test today and charged my phone overnight and unplugged it at 7:00 am this morning. I used the phone for checking Gmail, work email, twitter, some browsing, sms, a couple of calls and a couple of downloads from the Market. Here I am near 10:00 pm and my battery is still at 45 %!! With 2.2 my phone would have died earlier in the day! something good has changed!
  10. Android26

did you have to back up any of your stuff before upgrading?
  11. davep13

davep13 Well-Known Member

If it's like anything like AT&T updates, then its preferred to back up before upgrading, but none of your data should be lost.
  12. js593

js593 Well-Known Member

Not a single thing was backed up and i havent had a single error. However, im debating on a clean wipe and reinstall all of my applications anyways.

My cappy survived a long 54 hours before dying. This is in comparison to the previous 8-12 hours it was at before. Heavy text messaging, A few calls, downloaded stuff, hit the market, played Angry birds, etc... based off my experience, this should hit every captivate, and roms shouldnt exist. Even running S7 on my old captivate (was sent in for warranty) It was nothing like this.
  13. Android26

Awesome, I can't wait!
  14. rubiconjp

rubiconjp Well-Known Member

Official GB will be released tomorrow for the Sprint Epic... any day now at&t?!?
  15. selmerdave

selmerdave Well-Known Member

Question for Rogers customers with the Gingerbread update, are any of the problems with Swype fixed?
  16. trev1011

trev1011 Member

I just downloaded swype today. Never used it before. It works great. What was wrong with it before?
  17. darkrequiem

darkrequiem Well-Known Member

With AT&T it is not any day now, but any year now :D
  18. selmerdave

It got worse with Froyo for whatever reason. Impossible to delete words permanently once they are "learned", not possible to eliminate the "tips" window which comes up any time a learned word is not chosen, requiring a few clocks to get back to typing. I'll be happy to hear if this has been solved with gingerbread, as it is it is a brilliant tool that is fatally flawed. Also for no reason that I am aware of the accuracy seemed to get significantly worse with the Froyo update compared to with Eclair, when it was quite good.

Interesting that you "downloaded" it, with AT&T it is bundled and updated only with the system as far as I know.

Curious now that you've had it for a but if you're finding any of these problems or not.

Dave
  19. trev1011

trev1011 Member

I have been using it for a few days now. I'm still getting used to it. I have the tips box on to the never setting it won't come up. Unless I type a one letter word. It also predicts my words very well.
    I never did actually download it. It was programmed on my phone. Worded it incorrectly.
  20. selmerdave

So if you trace a path of the name of one of your contacts, and then hit the swype key to select a different word, the tips menu doesn't come up? That's promising, I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for the responses.

Dave
  21. gcobb

gcobb Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a link to Gingerbread for the Captivate that includes step by step instructions?
  22. geeve420

geeve420 Well-Known Member

rubiconjp likes this.
  23. jsteinmetz1

jsteinmetz1 Member

We're not going to get the official Gingerbread for the Captivate will we?
  24. geeve420

geeve420 Well-Known Member

I am starting to doubt it myself! My wife's Infuse 4G doesn't have it yet either. Kinda ridiculous in my opinion. I wouldn't mind if her got it first as it is a newer phone. This is getting rediculous though, not even a peep from AT&T or Samsung.

Geeve
  25. LarrynKy

LarrynKy Active Member

when my captivate contract is up I will definitely drop Samsung. Probably will succumb to the iPhone. At least Apple updates their own stuff and does not depend on AT&T either. I will miss the android system but not Samsung.