• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.3 Gingerbread Update???

When will the update be coming for the atrix. or will it even be coming? :thinking:

also, is there any chance that roms will be available to install even though the bootloader is locked?

What about Gingerbread do you actually want? Or is it the fact that its out there that you want it?

To be honest, too many people complain about not having it but theres really nothing about it that will make your phone do anything different than what it does now.

Its not a groundbreaking update.

Upvote 0
What about Gingerbread do you actually want? Or is it the fact that its out there that you want it?

To be honest, too many people complain about not having it but theres really nothing about it that will make your phone do anything different than what it does now.

Its not a groundbreaking update.

well im not sure about this but since both cores of the processor aren't being used with 2.2, they will be with 2.3 ?

Upvote 0
well im not sure about this but since both cores of the processor aren't being used with 2.2, they will be with 2.3 ?

Nope. GB is rolling out now to both Nexus phones, neither of which are dual core. I don't even think honeycomb is designed to run dual core optimally. I think ice cream will be the first to truly utilize dual core efficiently.

Upvote 0
So we have a dual core phone but the 2nd core will never even be used? This is ridiculous!

Dual cores are used but not optimized. That is one of the problems with android vs iphone. There are dozens of different hardware platforms and none are truly optimized. What would you rather have a single core phone that is not optimized (like the Captivate) or a dual core that is not optimized (like the Atrix). The answer is simple. I'll take the Atrix every time. The stock Atrix still blows away a captivate even with pirate ROMs.

Reactions: damewolf13
Upvote 0
I thought with the dual core we would be able to get honeycomb? Or is that just for tablets?

Honeycomb-3.0, is just for tablets.
Just to spread more rumors, I've read somewhere at sometime (aka, neighbor's cousn's uncle's brother) that Ice Cream Sandwich, 2.4, will build on 2.3 and add some features of 3.0, but be for phones.

Upvote 0
Honeycomb-3.0, is just for tablets.
Just to spread more rumors, I've read somewhere at sometime (aka, neighbor's cousn's uncle's brother) that Ice Cream Sandwich, 2.4, will build on 2.3 and add some features of 3.0, but be for phones.
I hope that rumour is true and that 2.4 rolls out this summer like how Froyo did, lol.

Upvote 0
One can only hope for 2.4. Our atrix's will probably be obsolete by the time that comes out I think.

Why are all of you guys so pessimistic? I think that the Atrix has a very *bright* future and look at what it's got "under the hood", in the way of processors and ram, as untapped potential. I'm also confident that the software development gods over on the xda forum will write some cool programs that take advantage of all the great things this phone can do.

-Mike

Reactions: philharmonik
Upvote 0
Why are all of you guys so pessimistic? I think that the Atrix has a very *bright* future and look at what it's got "under the hood", in the way of processors and ram, as untapped potential. I'm also confident that the software development gods over on the xda forum will write some cool programs that take advantage of all the great things this phone can do.

-Mike

Exactly! We've already had 2 updates in 2 and a half months! This phone is very relevant and motorola and at&t seem to want to support it fully! Im excited for what the future brings for this phone!

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

First off, I'm new to this forum so forgive me if this question has already been asked! :p

I'm using HTC Desire HD, bought on 2.2. The Gingerbread update finally came thru today.. But its not the same as advertised, with black menus, new text sections etc. Altho, theyre are some differences.

To see all the new features to I need to actually physically buy and 2.3 android phone? Or is there something I have missed here?

Thanks for your help in advance! ;)

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

First off, I'm new to this forum so forgive me if this question has already been asked! :p

I'm using HTC Desire HD, bought on 2.2. The Gingerbread update finally came thru today.. But its not the same as advertised, with black menus, new text sections etc. Altho, theyre are some differences.

To see all the new features to I need to actually physically buy and 2.3 android phone? Or is there something I have missed here?

Sorry to inform you, but Gingerbread does not bring a lot of new features, it's mainly performance enhancements. These improvements will help the Motorola Atrix, but they won't get rid of Motoblur or make the camera any better.

I bought a Nexus S at the beginning of the year, but returned it because it wasn't much of an improvement over my custom rommed Captivate. Gingerbread is not as big of a leap as Froyo was over Eclaire.

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

HTC Desire forum would likely have your answer. However, it is likely that though you have 2.3, HTC SenseUI is riding on top of that and thus, does not appear to be 'stock' 2.3. Using an alternative launcher should help you make it look more like stock 2.3. We have 2.2 on the Atrix and I can make MY phone 'look' like 2.3 :)

Upvote 0
Why does everyone hate on this phones camera? I find the lens gets dirty easily, but if you take the time to wipe the lens before shooting pictures. they come out quite nice... The pic below was taken outside, on a dark cloudy day, and has not been altered in any way shape or form. Not even renamed. edit: photobucket resized it, nevermind. but you get the idea.

2011-05-07_13-50-27_40.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones