2.3 OTA Update w/ Rooted EVO vs an Unrooted Evo

Last Updated:

  1. junebogey

    junebogey Well-Known Member

    Ok so gingerbread starts rolling out for the evo on the 3rd(friday) if i try to update will it let me even though im rooted what will happen i honestly dont want to hear oh u can just get a rooted version i just want to kno what it will do

    rozner33 likes this.
  2. ocnbrze

    ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

    the problem with doing an ota is that they usually will change the hboot and close the previous exploit to root. so if you were able to accept the ota you most likely will loose root. it may take awhile for the devs to come up with a new exploit to root. so during that time you will not have a rooted phone.

    also what could happen is that since you have a custom recovery, you may not be able to accept an ota anyways. and the only way to accept it is to unroot and then accept the ota. but, then you will be unrooted with no ability to root again.

    so it is up to you if you want to do that or not.
    Triprock likes this.
  3. Mr. Ed

    Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

    don't do it! all they need to get the rooted version rnning smoothly is the new kernel so I would imagine by the end of the weekend there should be one.

    there isn't really anything all that exciting being added..wait 3 or 4 days :D

    I'm excited..I didn't see that they were doing this over the weekend.
    disc golfin likes this.
  4. frenchy714

    frenchy714 Well-Known Member

    Learn something new everyday :D. So the new HTC kernel is the answer to get everything running as it should?
  5. ocnbrze

    ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

  6. rwalterk

    rwalterk Active Member

    I just saw on engadget that the EVO is finally getting Gingerbread. I recently rooted my EVO and am a little new to this, so please bear with me. I'm currently using Fresh as it's stable and everything works as it should (had too many problems with CM7). Is it best to wait for a rooted version of the OTA update to come out? What happens if I try to apply the OTA update? Do the Blockbuster and Nascar police break down my door and hold me down while they reinstall their crappy apps on my phone? Or does the OTA update not work properly on a rooted phone?

    Thanks in advance.
  7. frenchy714

    frenchy714 Well-Known Member

    Yes it's best to wait for the rooted version of the OTA update, in fact, we'll more than likely have the rooted version of the official update sooner than the release. As it stands, we have gingerbread ROM's already. If you accept the OTA, the least that will happen is you lose root. They can update the hboot version and you'll have to wait for another root exploit, and who knows how long that'll take.
    Wait a few days, it'll be worth it.
    Lian Waite likes this.
  8. evomattnc

    evomattnc Well-Known Member

    Do not accept an ota while rooted it will either unroot your phone and prohibit rooting again until we get a new exploit or it just plain won't work due to your custom recovery. We will have a rooted stock gb Rom to flash around the same time.

    I suppose if you don't care you can unroot and accept it and wait for a new exploit but I'm not sure why you would...
    melissai_ and Lian Waite like this.
  9. Granite1

    Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer Moderator

    I think I recall when Akazabam was around, that if you would try to accept an OTA with a custom recovery it could bjork your piece. Not sure if this is true.
  10. Mr. Ed

    Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

    It "can" happen...but no one really knows till it comes out and someone actually does it.

    typically we have been able to help those that borked their phones but there is always the chance that the end result be a brick
  11. andygu3

    andygu3 Well-Known Member

    And once the official GB from HTC/Sprint is released, the brightness issue with the Sense GB roms will be no longer with the release of the kernel source
  12. Keegsta

    Keegsta Member

    So when the rooted Stock 2.3 ROM does come out, could someone please that information in this thread?
  13. andygu3

    andygu3 Well-Known Member

    I'm sure there will be info somewhere, I believe the question will be is if the new GB rom released by HTC/Sprint will be Sense 2.1. But I still believe what the developer's are looking for is the kernel source from HTC, then things will move along
  14. jackgibbs

    jackgibbs Well-Known Member

    the new kernel will fix the nova screens and hopefully the camcorder issues with all the sense 2.0/3.0 ports out right now, but unless the OTA includes some type of update to sense, specifically something that requires new drivers that work with our phones, then there will still be issues with things like Maps force closing I think

    so cross your fingers for at least sense 2.0
  15. novox77

    novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

    Ok, saw a lot of confusion and assumptions here and in the Evo main forums about how to get this update and how it affects both rooted and non-rooted users. Let me explain briefly:

    If you're rooted, do NOT attempt to get this update via OTA or manually. Like EarlyMon said, at best, you will lose your root status. At worst, you probably know what's the worst case scenario.

    What you need to do is wait for the announcement of the rooted version of this OTA. It's typically out within a day of the official OTA but sometimes it even beats out the OTA if the OTA was leaked in advance. Keep checking this "All Things Root" subforum for updates on this rooted stock ROM.

    As for bootloader issues: irrelevant to everyone. Anyone rooted already has an unlocked bootloader. If you flash the rooted version of the OTA, your bootloader will remain unlocked. If you are NOT rooted, your bootloader is currently locked (but not unlockable). By going through the process of rooting your phone, you will unlock the bootloader.

    Finally, if you are thinking of rooting your phone in the near future, do not accept this OTA. There is no known root exploit for this ROM since it is new (AFAIK. I could be wrong), so you can't root from 2.3 yet. Root your phone while it's on 2.2 (or 2.1) because the exploits for these versions are tried and true. Then simply flash the rooted version of the 2.3 update.

    NOTE: I deleted some posts in this thread in anticipation that a lot of people are going to be seeking info here. Nothing personal; just trying to stay organized. Let's keep things on topic and keep the speculation (new Sense, e.g.) to a minimum, please.
    woodbr85, amadib, Triprock and 19 others like this.
  16. Keegsta

    Keegsta Member

    Thank you for clearing things up. I'm new to Android and rooting of Android, so this was a big help to my understanding.
  17. uminchu

    uminchu Well-Known Member


    Before I say this, I apologize in advance to whomever I'm about to offend, it is not intentional: That said, this happens every time an OTA is around the corner. No matter how many warnings go out, however emphatic and polite, someone gets impatient, takes the OTA, then comes here pleading for help. Just before Froyo dropped, a rooted version of the official ROM (not a test) was actually out *before* Sprint released it, and some folks *still* took the OTA. It took weeks to get find a new exploit and bail them out. So please, please be patient. The devs rock, we'll have it within a day or two, if not hours, and sometimes, even sooner.

    amadib, scudder, SamuraiBigEd and 8 others like this.
  18. cdadams1223

    cdadams1223 Well-Known Member

    I know I have read or seen somewhere on my Evo where you can turn off OTAs, but I cannot find it. Am I delusional or simply missing it?!?
  19. marvinlh

    marvinlh Well-Known Member

    if i use visionary temp root to be rooted, when i reboot my phone and its no longer rooted...am i able to update and then temp root again??
  20. frenchy714

    frenchy714 Well-Known Member

    No. Root methods are hboot and build specific, once the OTA drops you'll have to wait until another root exploit becomes available whether it's temp or permanent.
  21. Evo

    Evo Well-Known Member

    Menu --> Settings --> System Update --> HTC software update --> uncheck the box
    Triprock, tube517, ardchoille and 4 others like this.
  22. SaleenFiend

    SaleenFiend Well-Known Member

    I'll use my CM7 but probably try out the stock rooted rom when it becomes available. The joy of nandroids! :)
  23. ocnbrze

    ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

    i cant wait for the devs to tear the OTA apart and create some mean looking roms. the devs for kings, koni, and mikfroyo are awesome and i cannot wait for them to release there goodies to us.
  24. rech9901

    rech9901 New Member

    I just recently rooted and am just curious and could be completely wrong... Doesn't Unrevoked Forever solve the not being able to get an OTA problem since you would remain rooted even if you accept an OTA update? If this is true, has anyone tried it and does it actually work? I was thinking about getting UNrevoked Forever just for this reason...
  25. Granite1

    Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer Moderator

    If you run unrevoked, please do NOT accept the OTA. It is possible to bjork your phone up. The OTA uses the stock recovery to install, so when you run unrevoked it loads a custom recovery, thus making the OTA install not possible. Theres a slim chance something might start to install and really fubar things. I do nt recommend accepting the OTA.

    I do recommend running unrevoked though. Best decision you can make. :) IMO

Share This Page