2 android phones on 1 google account?

Last Updated:

1. RunamuckRez

RunamuckRez Well-Known Member

So here is a question for you all. I have two android phones on the verizon network. One of which doesn't make phone calls or connect to 3g (upgraded to new phone). Could I give this disconnected phone to my sister's kid for use as as a basic portable gaming device? I want to keep it connected to my gmail account and basically let him download games through wifi, or check his face book through wifi. Is this doable, are there any conflicts with having two android phones connected to one gmail account?

Runamuck Rez

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

3. gadzooks

gadzooks Well-Known Member

I currently have 3 active Android devices associated with 1 google account. Works at this time and I agree with Frisco, things can always change.

More than Market is associated with google account -- like calendar, contacts, and mail. Depending on how you want things to work, you may want to disable sync and perhaps clear data related to these on device you give nephew.
  4. RunamuckRez

RunamuckRez Well-Known Member

Thanks guys,

That's pretty much what I was thinking about doing. Actually, I was going to root it, remove everything I could related to phone, email, or bloatware, put a simple launcher on like launcher pro and get rid of blur, drop it to a few screens and just leave the wifi on. Ideally the only thing I want to work is games, wifi and market. That way when ever he wants to download a new game, he can (even if he wants to charge it to my account, not a big deal). Looks like I've got some things to do then...
  5. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Sounds like a good plan, RunamuckRez. [​IMG]
  6. shawnshack

shawnshack Active Member

I tried to do this for myself and my wife. We wanted to be able to share apps that we were buying. I don't think this will turn into an issue for you, but the problem I came across is that only the first account added (which becomes the account associated with the Market) can sync your calendar. I made a generic google account for us to share and then I couldn't use my main accounts calendar. That seemed silly to me. But then when I went to delete that account it said that I'd have to do a factory reset first. I think that should be changed.
  7. Guamguy

Guamguy Well-Known Member

This is doable and you can share many phones to one Google account, but for you and in your situation, I don't really advice it I don't share my Google account not even to your children. Its a sheer privacy issue.

When you share your Google account to his phone, he gets to read all your GMail. Its better for him to make his own GMail account, which is free, then use your credit card to make his Google Checkout account on the Android Market. That way, he also gets to use his GMail too. This is a more win to win situation.

I keep a collection of phones under a single Google account. If I give a phone to my family, everything is erased and the phone is reset. They have to use their own Google account.
  8. StrifeJester

StrifeJester Well-Known Member

The only problem I keep running into with doing this on my Droid X and my OG Droid is that things like talk only like to go to the latest device used. So if I fire up google talk on one i have to either sign out or make sure i send a message from my other phone. I actually just created a new gmail account so that my fiance and i can use the OG Droid as a "Home" Phone. I went and got Line2 for 9.95 a month and then a local google voice number since Line2 didn't have any. The only problem is making outgoing calls from the this new line. Google voice can't intercept the Line2 dialer. So to fix this i go to the google.com/voice and initiate the call from there. Maybe you could do the same just set him up a gmail account and use it that way. Minus the Line2 stuff of course. Once google adds voice chatting to the google talk application on the phones itself there is really no need for the Line2 service from what i have been looking into.
  9. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

This is why I love Google and Android. It's open so you can do things like this.

iOS? Forget it!!
  10. icecold

icecold Well-Known Member

I was looking at adding a Sprint Epic and using this with my Verizon Droid. So one additional question, how does this work with Google Voice? Will both phones get voice mails from either line, or would I have to use the Google Number associated with this to make it work?
  11. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

I'm pretty sure Google will never change this policy. Their philosophy revolves around access to information, your information. You can access your data from anywhere. You can have multiple computers connected to google apps at the same time; same goes with mobile devices. Gtalk, gmail calendar, Documents, Picasa, youtube, etc. All work the same way. Simultaneous access.

Documents is even cooler because if you've shared your doc with other google users, you can actually see them edit the doc in real time. If you're logged in from two places, you can see yourself editing the doc from the other computer/browser.
  12. novox77

You can have Google voice associated with multiple phones, even land lines. All phones ring together when someone calls your Google voice number. If you don't answer from any phone, the caller goes to VM. Once the message is left, you can check your VM from any phone.

So basically you have a common greeting for all phones. If you don't want that, no problem. Say you want your cell phone to have a dedicated VM. Then you can still use the stock VM app (assuming your phone has one. AOSP doesn't). If someone calls your cell from your google voice number and you ignore it, the VM will go to the google voice VM. So you'd need to check it via the web or from one of your other phones. If you want people to reach your cell phone's VM, they'd have to call your cell number directly.
  13. icecold

icecold Well-Known Member

I have Google Voice and a separate number associated with it. I played around with it when I first got my invite (back when you needed one), and I had it linked to my cell and work number. But after a while, I pretty much just stuck with my Verizon number, using Google Voice pretty much just for the Visual VM option.

So now, if I set up the Sprint account the same (assuming I can), replacing the Sprint Voice Mail system with Google Voice, I would assume I would get voice mail from calls on each individual cell number calls, on both phones, being they would both be linked to the same Google Voice account?
  14. novox77

I assume the Sprint phone is your work phone? Yeah, you can replace the stock Sprint VM with GV. Then, both phones will ring together if someone dials your GV number. If you don't answer either, that person is directed to your GV VM.

If someone calls either phone directly, they will hear your GV greeting if you don't answer.
  15. Great post ... thanks guys!