• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2 Biggest complaints about this phone

Don't mean to apple hate, but did you see the 2010 keynote. Even when steve jobs said they were changing the name from iPhone OS to iOS4, people were oooing and ahhhing at it. How rediculous and pathetic. Steve Jobs had those people wrapped around their finger by the end of the conference.

That's one thing ill give apple credit for... their marketing and advertising is ingenious to say the least.

Upvote 0
Don't mean to apple hate, but did you see the 2010 keynote. Even when steve jobs said they were changing the name from iPhone OS to iOS4, people were oooing and ahhhing at it. How rediculous and pathetic. Steve Jobs had those people wrapped around their finger by the end of the conference.

That's one thing ill give apple credit for... their marketing and advertising is ingenious to say the least.

The Apple community is a cult in many ways... I mean, Steve Jobs has them believing that the features on the new iPhone are revolutionary when I can already do everything on my Evo just fine. The one thing I will credit Apple for is the design for the new phone which is outright sexy as hell, and the screen resolution 960x640 which is very impressive.

Upvote 0
Just download a new one you say? If the Evo keyboard was good enough, we wouldn't be wasting our time downloading new keyboards when it should be done right the first time around.

Problem is, for some people (myself included) the EVO keyboard IS good enough, and I find it FAR superior to the iPhone keyboard (I owned an iPod Touch for two years). Showing the uppercase/lowercase letters and being able to tap-and-hold when I want to for numbers/special characters has been an absolute godsend. It's called personal preference.

So, if you don't like the stock keyboard, try to acclimate yourself to it, or go grab a new keyboard, or return your EVO, but either way please quit complaining about things that are totally subjective.

Upvote 0
I don't understand the defensive attitude to what the OP is saying. If his previous phone was an iphone, it's perfectly legitimate for him to use it as a benchmark for his Evo. Saying stuff like "GTFO AND buy an iphone loser" makes our community look like intolerant little fanboys who can't take any criticism of our device or platform.

Personally, I like the evo keyboard more than my previous iphone's. But I have small fingers, so that might be why.

OP: You might want to try Swype which is EXCELLENT. Or one of the other 3rd party keyboards a few people have already mentioned.

So why do people have to complain about it, GTFO is the general consensus.

Who the Fu$k tolerates complaining!

If you have questions and you need help we are here. If you just want to complain GTFO, no one wants to hear it.

Reactions: misterzeno
Upvote 0
I love the EVO screen, and think the phone is awesome, but my two biggest gripes are the Keyboard and front camera.

First let me say that I had a hero, which had basically the same keyboard except a smaller screen, but then I sold it 3 weeks before the EVO came out and used a basic flip phone and an iPod touch.

The keyboard on android (black one) and the one on the EVO Sucks!

Yes, HTC did a good job hiding the colors, but the space between each key is terrible, it is too small.

the iPhone has a 3.5 in screen while the EVO has a 4.3 in screen and yet I can still type faster and more accurately on the iPhone.

The EVO does not learn the way you type, if I type in a word that clearly should not be a part of the sentance it will guess something different, it doesn't adapt to the way you text, like the iPhone does.

Apple did so much research on the best colors for the keyboard, space between each key, and position and size of keyboard and they nailed it, it seems HTC just through something half ass together.

If you could have a full ported version of the iPhone keyboard on the EVO, I guarentee alot of you would prefer it but not admit it.

I pretty much agree with your assessment on the keyboard, I did a full review of the keyboard comparisons here.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/94792-what-makes-best-touch-qwerty-keyboard-deep-analysis.html

I thought I was the only one that noticed the space between the keys. There are a lot of other reasons why the iPhone keyboard is more accurate as well.

Upvote 0
Microphone input FTW!

It even properly transcribed me yelling over my loud ass stereo.

I was afraid to switch to screen keyboards coming from HTC's long line of slide out keyboards. But now I don't have to worry about it! Thanks again HTC and Google!

What will you Apple fans do when Mr. Jobs dies??

Who runs Google..? Can you name a name? I can; US, that's who.

Upvote 0
the only thing I don't understand about this is every single phone that comes out gets the same "I like it but the iphone..."

To all the people that want their iphone to do things LIKE AN IPHONE, BUY AN IPHONE!!!

What's next, people are gonna buy an iphone and say, I like it but the EVO has a better screen?

The new tech person must really have to have something to complain about or they are not happy.

We need www.iwanttocomplainaboutmyphone.com

Upvote 0
the only thing I don't understand about this is every single phone that comes out gets the same "I like it but the iphone..."

To all the people that want their iphone to do things LIKE AN IPHONE, BUY AN IPHONE!!!

What's next, people are gonna buy an iphone and say, I like it but the EVO has a better screen?

The new tech person must really have to have something to complain about or they are not happy.

We need www.iwanttocomplainaboutmyphone.com

Upvote 0
This is where Apple has the advantage in its proprietary software that actually works like its supposed to. What I am finding out about Android is that its like a Windows computer loaded with what seems like wonderful software that sometimes has tons of conflicts with other software or the operating system itself. I am a bit disappointed to find many software conflicts on both the EVO and Incredible and also the not so great build quality of the handsets themselves quality is spotty at best. This is where Apple excels and has great control over manufacturing and of course the software. The price you pay with Apple however is they have everything locked up on that phone tight as a drum.

Upvote 0
This is where Apple has the advantage in its proprietary software that actually works like its supposed to. What I am finding out about Android is that its like a Windows computer loaded with what seems like wonderful software that sometimes has tons of conflicts with other software or the operating system itself. I am a bit disappointed to find many software conflicts on both the EVO and Incredible and also the not so great build quality of the handsets themselves quality is spotty at best. This is where Apple excels and has great control over manufacturing and of course the software. The price you pay with Apple however is they have everything locked up on that phone tight as a drum.

If you enjoy that much control of your life, then move to Cuba... :eek:

Upvote 0
It's interesting, yes there seem to be a lot of immature posters on both sides.

As an Android fanboy, who also owns iPhone / Blackberry, I take an unbiased view to all phone platforms. I love Android, but I do see the validity of *some* criticisms of it.

Let's face it, there is no perfect phone platform, that is why there will be comparisons / complaints on every platform.

As Rodney King once said, "Can't we all just get along"???

Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0
It's interesting, yes there seem to be a lot of immature posters on both sides.

As an Android fanboy, who also owns iPhone / Blackberry, I take an unbiased view to all phone platforms. I love Android, but I do see the validity of *some* criticisms of it.

Let's face it, there is no perfect phone platform, that is why there will be comparisons / complaints on every platform.

As Rodney King once said, "Can't we all just get along"???

Ladies and Gentlemen, our next president!

Upvote 0
Well OP is right. The keyboard isn't the best. I just use the swype keyboard, even if I'm not using long keystrokes, it works alot better. So it's not hard to get a different keyboard. The stock keyboard has the keys too close together, even if they are bigger.

To each his own. I've tried using the keyboard on my son's iPod Touch, and find it challenging, to say the least. I spent 10 or 15 minutes the other day at a Sprint store, playing with and typing on the EVO keyboard. By the end of the 10 minutes I think I was as comfortable on the EVO landscape keyboard as I've ever been on the Touch. The portrait keyboard will definitely take some time, but I was already seeing improvement when I left the store.

But I'm sure that if I had a lot of experience on the iPhone keyboard, I would both find it easier to use, and the EVO's harder to use. You can't expect to switch from one device to another without some learning curve. (I'm sure I could eventually learn to use a Dvorack keyboard and be faster than on a QWERTY one, but not the first time out.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones