• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 2 contacts merging in Droid but not Gmail

robbrue

Lurker
Dec 22, 2009
My father and I have the same name but I go by Robbie and he goes by Robert. The contact that I keep on myself and the contact that I keep on my dad are being merged into one contact on the phone. When I bring up contacts on my Gmail web page they are totaly seperate though. I tried deleting all of my dads info out of the contact on my phone and make a whole new contact with his inf and they just merged again :thinking:. The contact in my phone shows my dads name with the Sr. suffix and all, it has his Facebook picture showing but has both of our phone numbers and address listed under the one contact. There is also a green dot listed next to the contact. Can anyone help?

When editing the combined contact, press the Menu button and select Separate. I don't have any combined contacts to verify this, but if this isn't exactly right, it should be pretty close.

Thanks, your right it was "Separate". I must have hit "Join" at some point when I was editing. I am going to guess that the green dot next to the name indicates a "Joined" contact.
While we are on the subject what does "Revert" do?

Upvote 0
Thanks, your right it was "Separate". I must have hit "Join" at some point when I was editing. I am going to guess that the green dot next to the name indicates a "Joined" contact.
While we are on the subject what does "Revert" do?

The "join" can happen automatically. It's not a "bug" per se, because it is intentional behavior. Quite a few people don't like it though, including me. I believe it has something to do with the ability to sync with multiple online contact lists (i.e. Gmail, Facebook, etc.).

I think when you "separate" contacts, it somehow flags the contacts so they are not subject to automatic joining. Though I have never tried it, I imagine that "revert" would remove this flag, allowing the automatic joining to resume.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones