• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 2 fairly major probs with Desire

Here are some samples of the problem. It is caused by the 2G radio afaics. When I am on an EDGE network the problem does not happen, ever. When I am on a 2G (UMTS) network such as 02 in Slovakia, I get the problem systematically. The wifi may be on or off, the phone warm or cool, the battery full or recharged: if there is mobile internet access, the camera does this.

The workaround is to reinitialize the camera until it works, or switch off mobile data when taking photos.

Some examples, taken with the camera itself:

i1.jpg
i2.jpg
i3.jpg
i4.jpg

Upvote 0
This is rubbish IMHO...mobile phone signals pass through human tissue/bone with no attenuation.
It's metal structures that shield signals.

What nonsense - you REALLY need to do your homework.
Sure; metal frames will cause a faraday effect which seriously insulates signal but the signal will suffer losses through ANYTHING to varying extents - and the frequency (network) also makes a huge difference (otherwise masts would not have a range of little more than 3km in most locations).

Upvote 0
hi guys, i've had my Desire (bought from Vodafone, in the EU) for a month now and i've never had either of those problems. I did, however run into a couple of others. once, my device wasn't recognizing any headphones (neither the stock ones nor some apple headphones from my old iPod). also, a couple of times, when going into the market and selecting some apps for download it said 'Your app will be downloaded' but then nothing happened; and i tried both with WiFi and 3G, so it wasn't a network issue. i was able to solve both of these problems by restarting my phone.
i also noticed during the first week of my using it, that my sms messages got duplicated. but since at the time i didn't have more than 10-20 of them, it didn't really mattered and it hasn't happened ever since.

anyone having gotten through the same things? thanks!

Upvote 0
hi guys, i've had my Desire (bought from Vodafone, in the EU) for a month now and i've never had either of those problems. I did, however run into a couple of others. once, my device wasn't recognizing any headphones (neither the stock ones nor some apple headphones from my old iPod). also, a couple of times, when going into the market and selecting some apps for download it said 'Your app will be downloaded' but then nothing happened; and i tried both with WiFi and 3G, so it wasn't a network issue. i was able to solve both of these problems by restarting my phone.
i also noticed during the first week of my using it, that my sms messages got duplicated. but since at the time i didn't have more than 10-20 of them, it didn't really mattered and it hasn't happened ever since.

anyone having gotten through the same things? thanks!

Try a factory reboot. My Hero starting behaving rather strangely a while back. I think it may have been a rogue app.
I am assuming you have your address book linked with a google account? So factory re-boot and see it start behaving perfectly again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones