2 issues with this phone...return?Support

Last Updated:

1. Freespirit

Freespirit Member This Topic's Starter

Got my phone from Walmart. Have 2 more days to return it. Two problems I have:

1. When phone shows 3G + full bars, sometimes it will go to 1 bar or no bars when I make a call. This happened to me in downtown Salt Lake City this morning, a place I'd expect to get good reception. Happens maybe 60-70% of the time.

2. When I call someone and they transfer me to another line, the 2nd person cannot hear me at all unless I turn on the speakerphone. Sometimes it happens straight up without an xfer. I hold the phone on it's sides so I don't obstruct the mic(s).

Phone is upgraded to 2.2. Got rid of Advanced Task Killer, read somewhere it's not good for keeping a 3g signal.

Does this sound like a bad phone or something that can be rectified? Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

What you are seeing for bars during the phone's standard operation is, I believe, data service, not voice service. When you place a call, you see the bars for the voice service.

I wouldn't worry so much about the signal, as long as the call quality is acceptable. Bars are a pretty inaccurate way of indicating signal strength, and I find that Verizon's call quality with one bar is a whole lot better than AT&Ts was even with a couple bars. I can make excellent-sounding calls with very little signal.

That's odd with issue #2. From the phone's perspective, being transferred to another line should be totally transparent - it should just appear to the phone that the call is staying open. Not sure on that, sorry.

3. ekyle

ekyle Well-Known Member

I'd take it in when you have the time just to get it looked at. They shouldn't have a problem replicating your second problem.

4. droidx_fan

droidx_fan Well-Known Member

It depends. If you're okay with messing around with the DX rather continuously to get it to work, keep it. If you just want something that works, no fuss, get back to WalMart as quick as you can and dump this POS.

Mine worked reasonably well the first few weeks. As apps were added eating up some cache and processing power, some weird things started to happen. Then 2.2 OTA upgrade came, weirder things started to happen.

If Verizon would give me a full refund at this point, I'd drop whatever I was doing and drive to the nearest Verizon store.

Does that answer your question? Just read all the threads here and see the titles with all the different problems. Is that what you'd expect from a good phone? The sycophants will try to shout down the people complaining or you would see ten times as many negative threads and posts.

Come back and give the Android OS a try when they hit V3 or possibly will require V4 before it is really stable. Just try doing something simple like cut and paste for some text with this phone. As fundamental as that is, just look how difficult it is to do it. That should tell you right there you should dump the piece of junk.

5. ekyle

ekyle Well-Known Member

It can't hurt to have them look at it. My local store has always been helpful, and if yours isn't then call CS, and if the rep isn't the greatest you can nicely end the call and call back for a different one. They let me upgrade to an Eris 6 months after I had my BB Storm because I was having issues.

Back to the X. I've had a few hiccups here and there with it and I've been able to solve those problems. I have yet to own any smartphone that didn't have some problems. My HTC Touch had issues, the BB Storm (don't even get me started), the Eris, and now the X. No one phone is for everyone. If you like the X stick it out, otherwise try to get VZW to give you something new. If you're nice about it they will usually help you :)

6. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

This whole post is foolish. This kind of post is, in fact, exactly the same - though on the opposite end of the spectrum - as the so-called sycophants that you speak of. Of course there are lots of problems listed in a forum - that's why people come seeking knowledge usually. It's no different from going to a car forum and finding it full of posts with car problems.

I am no sycophant. I had an iPhone previously, and if I thought the iPhone would work better for me, I would have it now. I am a long time employee of the IT industry and have spent a lot of time looking at pieces of technology that work well, and some that don't.

My iPhone usually worked pretty well. My iPhone would occasionally not wake up from sleep, requiring a hard power-down and reset. My iPhone's browser crashed with regularity. Several times it ceased to boot and I had to do a full reset and restore of my phone. During the iOS upgrade to 4.0, my cell data ceased working entirely. Restores didn't fix it. The solution? Restore it as a new phone. So I would lose all of my text messages, application data, game data, etc. Why? Oh, that's right, the closed ecosystem stops me from backing anything up on my own outside of iTunes.

My Android phone works pretty well. It has rebooted on me a couple times, one time during a frustrating moment where I was navigating. That made me mad at it. Once, it stopped transmitting my voice, requiring a reboot. Very infrequently, Launcher Pro gets killed by the system and re-loads when I press the home button.

There are problems with all phones. I am sorry that you seem to be having lots of problems. There are lots of phones out there - at least 5 in my office building - that run fine, day in and day out, with no troubleshooting or difficulty.

Your over-the-top comments are no better than the fanboys who scream that Android can do no wrong.

Also, yes, copy and paste sucks on Android at the moment.