2 new stratospheres, no LEDsSupport

Last Updated:

1. dgates

dgates New Member

Just switched to verizon and bought 2 of the new stratospheres. So far I'm happy with the phone. I knew going in it wasn't dual core, etc. But it was $200 cheaper than the Droid Bionic for a 4g phone.

However, the led light on the front of both phones have never come on once since I bought them. My last phone was a Motorola Milestone, and my default the led blinked when i had messages, was on when it the battery was low, or charging, and had settings to change color, speed, etc.
    I've received calls, messages, sms, plugged it in, let it go dead and nothing. I've gone through every setting, and taken it to the verizon store and had them go through every setting and can't find a single setting that pertains to the led.

So, i downloaded Blink. Picked a couple colors and did the test led color. Nothing.

What gives? Are any other new stratosphere owers seeing this? Or, are the other owner's leds working fine?

I like this phone and really don't want to have to swap this out for a different phone, but I rely on that led notification.

2. KnightCrusader

KnightCrusader Well-Known Member

I don't believe this phone has LED notification lights. In fact, I can't think of any Samsung phone that does... well, except my old Windows Mobile i760.

Is it mentioned in the manual? Cause I haven't seen one either. I just assumed there was none.
  3. dgates

dgates New Member

Uhg. You're right. I didn't even consider that a phone wouldn't have a notification led at this point. But I checked the book, and sure enough, none listed.

Time to start looking for a new phone to swap mine out for before the 30 days is up... :(
  4. KnightCrusader

If you want a phone with a keyboard and 4G on Verizon, then this is all there is. However, if you are okay with 3G, the Droid 3 would probably be a good choice. My D2 had a notification LED (which I miss as well, but can live without) and I am sure the the D3 will as well.
  5. dgates

dgates New Member

Thanks for the advice. I rarely used the keyboard on my milestone, and haven't even opened it on the stratosphere after checking it out. It's actually the 4g that I'm most interested in.
  6. KnightCrusader

I also have the Thunderbolt, but from what I have seen, the only thing its LED notifies me of is power level. I may not be paying well-enough attention to it to know for sure.

From what I have seen, LED notifications is mostly used by Motorola phones, so the Bionic or new RAZR might work for you.
  7. p_025

p_025 Well-Known Member

I dunno
  8. CHIP72

CHIP72 Member

If you are most interested in the 4G, don't want to pay a ton for the phone to enter a 2-year contract, and the camera quality isn't important to you, you should check out the Pantech Breakout. That device is $100 with a 2-year contract and is 4G (the cheapest such smartphone on Verizon). From the reviews I've read, the biggest drawback is a poor camera, but otherwise it is a solid device. I do not know if it has a notification light or not; you'd need to check that out if you are interested in the Breakout.
  9. p_025

p_025 Well-Known Member

Not bad advice. The big dealbreaker for me here is NO KEYBOARD. But if you don't care about that then check it out.
  10. CHIP72

CHIP72 Member

Yeah, I'm with you - I want something that's 4G with a physical keyboard myself, which is why I've been looking closely at the Stratosphere (even though my contract with the Droid 2 goes for another year; I'd buy the Stratosphere full price if I got it).
  11. metexanvt

metexanvt New Member

Download "noLED" app - works well to solve this issue :)
    leojbramble, DanDroid and ses1962 like this.
  12. icebear8

icebear8 Active Member

yea the epic had a led but for someone reason they didnt pass it along for this phone (idk that was a really good thing and loved it)
  13. MrDangerous

MrDangerous Well-Known Member

I put noLED on my wifes phone but it seems to not want to wake up. If she hits the power button nothing happens and she has to move around on the home/back area and then it wakes up. Not sure if a bug or if that's just how it works.
  14. jack376

jack376 Member

I was wondering about this as well but then I read the instructions. It says to hit the "home" buttom. If you hit the "power" button (which is everyone's instinct), it will lag.
  15. ses1962

ses1962 New Member

This happened to me too. Set the HOME or BACK button to wake up the phone. Works great. (I didn't like where the power button was located anyway...kinda awkward spot).
  16. kmrub07

kmrub07 New Member

yes the droid 3 has a led notification light, thats what i just came from.
  17. Technipages

Technipages Well-Known Member

I heard it was something to do with including more camera hardware into the phone when they modified it from being an Epic to the Stratosphere. They just had no room for the LED.

18. heckbill

heckbill Member

This sounds like a great idea...i hate where the power button is located...unfortunately i dont know how to do this:confused:
  19. Scur

Scur Well-Known Member

On the Strat the non-physical buttons don't respond when the phone is sleeping. No way around it as far as I know. You can wake your phone up with any physical button with WidgetLocker on most phones, though I haven't tried it on the Strat. NoLock will do it too, but you lose your lockscreen.
  20. leojbramble

leojbramble New Member

O...M...G..., thanks so much for this! I've missed so many notifications until HOURS later when I had a particular reason to turn on my phone. Worst part of an otherwise great phone. You made my day!

21. wewantutopia

wewantutopia Member

You can use "Tap Tap App" to wake your phone without using any buttons. It uses taping or waving near your proximity sensor (you can set how many times to prevent accidental turn ons) to turn it on. It works pretty good.
  22. MissyTeaCup

MissyTeaCup New Member

If you guys are worried about the LED light . I recommend NoLED works perfect for Samung Stratosphere!!! And is too cute LOL just make sure you DO NOT push the lock/power button when on this app or when it's notifying you. ALWAYS PUSH HOME OR BACK :)) even when unlocking your phone.
    P.S: any hope on change of color or them? Also does anybody know of emotion icons for Samsung Stratosphere without Root.