• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2 questions from Bold user: Play/pause button and headphones

FligMupple

Lurker
Jun 3, 2009
I currently have a Bold and would like to switch to an Android phone, the G1 initially.

There are two important things/features I current have with my phone, and I wonder if they would be possible on the G1:

1) I like to use the phone with normal 3.5mm stereo headphones (Sennheiser PMX 60 to be specific). I know there's an adapter that converts the mini-usb to 3.5mm... My question is: When on a call, can I hear the call output through the headphones, and talk into the built-in mic on the phone?

2) I listen to m3p's (podcasts actually) all the time when walking. With the Bold, the mute key, a physical button on the top edge of the phone, controls play/pause when media is playing. With this button, I can stop and start the "music" when the phone is in my pocket, or, in the belt holster... without me having to take it out and look at anything. Does the G1 have a button to stop/start media? If so, is it on a side/edge so that it can be accessed while in a holster?

I currently have a Bold and would like to switch to an Android phone, the G1 initially.

There are two important things/features I current have with my phone, and I wonder if they would be possible on the G1:

1) I like to use the phone with normal 3.5mm stereo headphones (Sennheiser PMX 60 to be specific). I know there's an adapter that converts the mini-usb to 3.5mm... My question is: When on a call, can I hear the call output through the headphones, and talk into the built-in mic on the phone?

2) I listen to m3p's (podcasts actually) all the time when walking. With the Bold, the mute key, a physical button on the top edge of the phone, controls play/pause when media is playing. With this button, I can stop and start the "music" when the phone is in my pocket, or, in the belt holster... without me having to take it out and look at anything. Does the G1 have a button to stop/start media? If so, is it on a side/edge so that it can be accessed while in a holster?

1. Erm....I think you can....if you can hear music and whatnot through the headphones then you should be able to just listen to the call through the headset and talk to the phone...

2. I'm pretty sure the G1 doesn't have a button like that...although, as always...I could be wrong...

Upvote 0

1)I'm an early adopter, so I didn't get the adapter that starting shipping with them after the first shipment, but from what I've heard, that adapter has a microphone on it, so you can basically do what you're asking, but as I said, I don't have the adapter, so I can't confirm that. In theory what you say is possible.

2) Sort of. If you use the included headphones, they have a button on the microphone. This is to answer/hangup calls, but when using the music player it's a play/pause toggle.

Upvote 0
1)I'm an early adopter, so I didn't get the adapter that starting shipping with them after the first shipment, but from what I've heard, that adapter has a microphone on it, so you can basically do what you're asking, but as I said, I don't have the adapter, so I can't confirm that. In theory what you say is possible.

2) Sort of. If you use the included headphones, they have a button on the microphone. This is to answer/hangup calls, but when using the music player it's a play/pause toggle.

I was looking for this thread so I could say that I just found out that the hang up/answer on the adapter worked as Play/Pause in the music player as well...

But you beat me to it a long time ago!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones