• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2 quick questions I haven't answered yet -

lyronva

Sep 22, 2012
2 quick questions, I have done searches for each within the forum with no luck.

What is the meaning of a blue square around an app? This happens occasionally.

When I go to "My files" the root directory is "sd card" when I don't have an SD card installed yet. Is this just a directory in RAM called "sd card"?

Thanks in advance -

B

1. Haven't seen this. Where are you seeing this?App drawer? Homescreen?

2. The internal storage of the phone is labeled as sd_card. If you put a microsd card into the phone, it will show up as external_sd

3. You don't have directories in RAM. You don't even see RAM in file explorers. Basically RAM is a memory used by the system for cache and ongoing application processes. You can't save anything on it or whatever. You have a mistaken concept of what "RAM" and "storage" is in relation to electronic devices. Seems to be a pretty common misconception for some weird reason.

Upvote 0
chanchan05, did a good job answering most of them, i think i can provide some insight for the first one.

You must be running a different system because the stock android OS doesn't allow you to resize your apps, but from what it sounds like the blue square indicates a resize option, meaning you could pull the app to take up more space if you want, it works just like widget resizing just for an app though.

Upvote 0
First, I realize now that I didn't even include my phone/OS, it is a Galaxy SIII and 4.0.4.

1. The blue square occurs on the home screen, after I've closed an app (browser, e-mail e.g.) - from what I recall it has often/always been on a page other than the "center" screen. I'll add that the blue square has shown up around apps that I have not had open recently. I don't think it's a resize thing, as (a) the resize for widgets on my system is orange as you say and (b) this one doesn't have points anywhere for dragging.
For what it's worth, I'll screen capture and post it the next time it occurs.

2. Ah, makes sense now - thanks - chanchan05, poor choice of terms on my part (indicates my ignorance between internal memory and RAM, I guess I thought they were sort of the same medium, although I understand RAM is dynamic and internal storage is static & solid-state).

While I'm asking questions, I hear this tone several times a day. I haven't nailed whether it is e-mail showing up and/or wireless networks coming into range, whatever (sound file attached). What does it mean, and where in the alert menu structure is it?

Thanks -

B

Attachments

• phone tone.zip
    29.6 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 0
It happened again tonight. It was after I had opened and closed FFL. Just for fun I moved the icons in the upper right and it then occurred around the one that replaced it. It seems to go around the first available app, if you're reading left to right. Any ideas?

B

Attachments

• Screencap-1.jpg
    Screencap-1.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Screencap-2.jpg
    Screencap-2.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Screencap-3.jpg
    Screencap-3.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 49
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones