2 Year Contract vs 1 Year Contract.....

Last Updated:

1. mcbtrain929

mcbtrain929 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just was looking for some clarification as to the pros/cons of getting a new phone and signing up for a 2 yr contract vs a 1 yr contract. These are things that I've heard:

-If you sign a 2 yr contract, you can get a new phone after 1 yr at the 2 yr contract price if you sign a new 2 yr contract.
    -I know 1 yr contracts, you pay like $50 or so more for the new phone, which is fine.
    -Some of these offers only work if you have a plan of X$$ or more. I usually get the cheapest minutes plan (usually 39.99).

So, questions I have are:

-If I buy a new phone with a 1 yr contract, would I be able to get a new phone at the 9 or 10 month mark? Would the new phone have to be a 2 yr contract, or could I do another 1 yr contract? I wanna know what the exact rules are, not instances where "they did it for me even though they shouldn't have" or "I had to talk to 8 different people for them to allow it."
    -Do these "re-upping early" deals work if I only have the 39.99 voice plan? I've heard some people say you have to have at least 49.99 or 59.99 plans.

I'm probably going to be buying an Incredible when it comes out, but i want to have flexibility down the road if I want to upgrade my phone to something bigger/better and not be stuck with the same phone for 2 years if something else catches my eye. Any answers/advice would be helpful.........thanks!

Advertisement
  2. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it works with the $40 plan.

If you are on a 1 year contract you can sign a new contract after 10 months and get the subsidized phone price.

If you are on a 2 year contract you can sign a new contract after 20 months and get the subsidized phone price. You also get what is called a "New Every 2" credit at the 20 month mark which used to be a good deal but I think it is down to $30 for lower plans and $50 for higher plans.

The new contract in either case can be 1 or 2 years.

On a 2 year contract you can also get the subsidized phone price after just 12 months but you would lose the new every 2 credit.

3. 00smurf

00smurf Well-Known Member

To get the New Every 2 credit for equipment applied, the contract does have to be a 2 year contract. Early Upgrade policy is any calling plan 49.99 or higher. (if I recall correctly, cold medicine not helping the brain to think straight)

00smurf

4. mcbtrain929

so if you're correct, i wouldn't be able to get a new phone 1 yr into my 2 yr contract if i have a 39.99 plan? that shit shouldn't even matter since you still have to pay a $30/month data plan.

5. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

To do an early upgrade you would have to be on a 79.99 or higher plan (including the data feature) But you would have to sign another 2 year contract and you lose NE2 credit. I believe this to still be accurate. It was the policy when I worked there

6. 00smurf

00smurf Well-Known Member

That is correct the 39.99 Nation Wide Talk plan is not eligible for any type of early upgrade, even with a data package on there as that is a feature that isn't included in the plan. Sorry to break the news to you.

00smurf

7. SirEagle

SirEagle Well-Known Member

I have the New Every 2 with the $39.99 America's Choice II 450 minute plan. And I get the early upgrade. Only thing may be that they did make some change in 02/005 and it could be whether or not you've been on a VZW contract since before then.

8. shocker

shocker Well-Known Member

39.99 plan is NOT eligible for an Annual Upgrade. Also if you sign a 1 year contract you are NOT eligible after 10 months, you have to go through the full 12 months.

9. mcbtrain929

so the $59.99 450 mins and all you can text would fit the bill then?

10. Guido

Guido Member

I'm still on my Alltel plan from before the merger. I wouldn't have gotten the Eris if the hadn't let me keep the Alltel plan. I had to sign a 2 year contract to get the Eris for 99. I came from a Moto q before.

11. clb

clb Well-Known Member

So, I'm guessing the answer to this question is no from what I have gathered, but I want to ask it to be sure. My New Every Two upgrade was up last month. I do still have the $100 credit. If I want to get a new phone with a 1 year contract can I use any of my NE2 credit towards that phone or do I loose it all?