• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2010 Android powered phones.

I here all of this news about new Android phones coming out by many different manufactures. I hate to bring up the iPhone but will any of the phones have hard that can compete with the hardware on the new iPhone 3G-S?

Just curious but what exactly do you think is SO much superior to Android phones hardware wise that you would ask that question?

Upvote 0
Just curious but what exactly do you think is SO much superior to Android phones hardware wise that you would ask that question?

The RAM on the new iPhone 3G-S is 256MB of RAM. The HTC Dream which is what I have has 64MB of RAM. The iPhone 3G-S has a CPU with speeds of up to 600MHz while the HTC Dream has a CPU that can goto speeds up to 528MHz.

And I don't know what exactly the graphics chip is on both but I am sure it is better on the iPhone. Trust me, I like Android best. But without better hardware I don't see how we can get apps that look or function as well as some of the apps for the iPhone or some other smart phones that have nicer hardware. I just simply wanted to know if anyone is planning on putting out a Android powered phone with some nicer hardware?

Upvote 0
The RAM on the new iPhone 3G-S is 256MB of RAM. The HTC Dream which is what I have has 64MB of RAM. The iPhone 3G-S has a CPU with speeds of up to 600MHz while the HTC Dream has a CPU that can goto speeds up to 528MHz.

And I don't know what exactly the graphics chip is on both but I am sure it is better on the iPhone. Trust me, I like Android best. But without better hardware I don't see how we can get apps that look or function as well as some of the apps for the iPhone or some other smart phones that have nicer hardware. I just simply wanted to know if anyone is planning on putting out a Android powered phone with some nicer hardware?

Well although the Dream does not have a faster CPU or as much ram there are benefits to it as well for example expandable memory and removable battery... as for "new hardware" yes there are ALOT of phones in the works that are FAR better than the Dream...for example the I7500 from Samsung - Samsung I7500 - Full phone specifications or the new HTC HERO - HTC - Products - HTC Hero - Specification while they are not perfect by any means they are a huge step in the right direction...

Upvote 0
You say your Magic has 64 MB or RAM? All of the specs I've seen show 288 MB for the Magic.

Nonetheless, yes, there are Android phones in the works that run much faster processors, have hardware sound and video (including OpenGL in hardware), twice the screen resolution of the 3G S, and more.

A note about CPU speed: some devices are being built with the Snapdragon processor, which can run up to 1 Ghz. That doesn't mean they will--power consumption rises as the frequency goes up. Nonetheless, I would expect to see 800 Mhz parts soon.

Think about how Apple has always done business. They innovate, create techno-magic, and what they build is always awesome. But then the "rest of the world" builds the commodity parts, better, smaller, and at a far lower cost.

Scott

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones