• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2012 - year of Linux!

Thank you for the thorough response.

As to why I want to get Linux:

Well after spending 9 years in the military it is time for me to decide what I want to be when I grow up. I have always wished I knew more about computers, even more so now that I use android; I wish I had a more in-depth knowledge when it comes to things root. I will also be starting school this month in pursuit of a CS degree. I'm not sure if this is the road I want to go down, but the knowledge I might gain would certianly be useful.

I understand Linux will not be easy for me to figure out, especially coming from a soley windows experience, but I would like to broaden my knowledge base. A relative recently asked me, when talking to me about a potential job, if I knew anything about writing code or if I use Linux (I guess he was refering to doing things through the command prompt). I would like to have that knowledge and be able to say yes to questions like that.

Yeah I tried to do some research, but found it hard to wade through all the sites/info and decide what is good/bad.

Understandable. I'd say you're off on the right foot already because you want to learn instead of just wanting free software that does X. Having the mindset of wanting to learn will give you far more patience and put you in the position to learn it.

Getting the basics down in Linux is not hard at all. I'm no expert and don't claim to be, but I know my way around a bit. You can get there too and quickly.

Try one of the 4 distros I listed. Be sure to find and read any startup guides or "READ BEFORE YOU INSTALL" guides. Might have to go to each distro's support forum to find those guides. But read read read and you'll have a working system that you can impress your friends with in no time. :)

I'm currently running OpenSUSE on my dual booted laptop that my wife and I share (she LOVES OpenSUSE) and I run OpenSUSE also on my home theater PC that we watch videos and movies on.

Reactions: Danny_Boy82
Upvote 0
Most distros include most all pieces of software you would need out of the box (office suite, web browser, chat clients, email clients, music/video players, text tools, utilities, drivers, etc)
I've never known Windows to come with an Office Suite out the box. And most of the other software is MS specific, and alot of drivers for hardware does not work out the box.
I'm not bashing Windows, I dual boot with Linux myself.

Upvote 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane2943
Upsides:
-Stable
-Most distros include most all pieces of software you would need out of the box (office suite, web browser, chat clients, email clients, music/video players, text tools, utilities, drivers, etc)
-The software the distro does not include is usually free and easy to obtain
-constant and fairly frequent updates, especially for the major distros
-tons and tons and tons and tons and thousands of tons of support can be found for most distros online via chat and forums filled with nerds that live for not much else than to be nerds

those also apply to windows 7

Well, most of those apply to windows. Windows does not include an office suite, you can buy Office for it, or you can stick with the demo versions they ship. With linux, you are getting a full featured office suite.

With updates, sure you can get the windows updates and service packs, but eventually, windows will cut support for what you have - it might take a while, but they will. With linux, you can go that route too, but you don't have to. Certain distors (arch comes to mind) don't require 'updates' on that level, each piece of software is updated as the updates are available, so there is no point in upgrading the entire OS (and having to do a new install).

Also, as far as the free software, sure you can dabble around in the internets looking for reliable software for windows - and you'll be able to find it. But with linux, it is right there in the software management that is being used.

(just to play devil's advocate)
Each piece of software has it's place... it's important to know what you need to do and what can do that with minimal hassle.

:D Almost friday!

Upvote 0
Well, most of those apply to windows. Windows does not include an office suite, you can buy Office for it, or you can stick with the demo versions they ship. With linux, you are getting a full featured office suite.

With updates, sure you can get the windows updates and service packs, but eventually, windows will cut support for what you have - it might take a while, but they will. With linux, you can go that route too, but you don't have to. Certain distors (arch comes to mind) don't require 'updates' on that level, each piece of software is updated as the updates are available, so there is no point in upgrading the entire OS (and having to do a new install).

Also, as far as the free software, sure you can dabble around in the internets looking for reliable software for windows - and you'll be able to find it. But with linux, it is right there in the software management that is being used.

(just to play devil's advocate)
Each piece of software has it's place... it's important to know what you need to do and what can do that with minimal hassle.

:D Almost friday!

Windows cuts support for it's OSes after about 10 years or so usually. They still support XP and it's a ten year old OS. Also, just because you're not getting updates doesn't mean the OS won't continue to work. I know people who still use Windows 98. Microsoft ended support for it in 2006. Five years later it still works so they continue to use it. If you have a 10 year old OS, it's time to upgrade anyway, let's be honest.

I've also found that free version of Office (and I've played with several of them) are limited compared to MS Office and lack some advanced features. They're simply not as good.

(What? He can play devil's advocate, but I can't?)

Upvote 0
I think Computing has gone ahead of Operating System Wars :) .
I can operate either of three Options with equal finesse (OSX,Windows,Linux) .Each has it's own strengths,weakness and solutions .
Whatever gets the job done at a particular moment is the OS of day/month/year/millennium :D.

Upvote 0
I've also found that free version of Office (and I've played with several of them) are limited compared to MS Office and lack some advanced features. They're simply not as good.

For the average user and even some advanced functions work fine in OO and LibreOffice. I use OO exclusively at home and at work and while I don't create multi-layered spreadsheets with auto data entry scripts and macros and 3D HD graphs and whatnot, for home user and even intermediate office user functions, the free alternatives work fine. Are they replacements for the paid Office suite? In many cases yes, but certainly not all cases.

Use the right tool for the job. :)

No. You're not allowed. Go over there, sit down and be quiet. :eek:

j/k ;)

Upvote 0
For the average user and even some advanced functions work fine in OO and LibreOffice. I use OO exclusively at home and at work and while I don't create multi-layered spreadsheets with auto data entry scripts and macros and 3D HD graphs and whatnot, for home user and even intermediate office user functions, the free alternatives work fine. Are they replacements for the paid Office suite? In many cases yes, but certainly not all cases.

Use the right tool for the job. :)

If I need to drive a nail, I'll use a hammer and not a rock. A rock will work. Heck, a crowbar would work. None of them will work as well as a hammer will though.

No. You're not allowed. Go over there, sit down and be quiet. :eek:

j/k ;)

I refuse. :mad:

Upvote 0
Buying that hammer gonna cost you a pretty nice penny...anything less and you get less features.

Office Professional 2010
$349.99
For 1 user
1 PC only

The rocks are free and I can give them to others.

That's Professional. Most people don't need that. You're talking about an enterprise product there. I don't know of very many enterprise users who use a free Office alternative.

Upvote 0
or you can get oo.o for free; ms office isn't the only option on windows
Yes, but open office isn't included with Windows [which is what was being discussed], linux on the other hand will almost always have an office suite included.
Windows cuts support for it's OSes after about 10 years or so usually. They still support XP and it's a ten year old OS. Also, just because you're not getting updates doesn't mean the OS won't continue to work. I know people who still use Windows 98. Microsoft ended support for it in 2006. Five years later it still works so they continue to use it. If you have a 10 year old OS, it's time to upgrade anyway, let's be honest.

Yeah, that's true... I'm still getting XP updates, and in regards to future updates - it's never a consideration for me when finding the right OS for me. And last time I used the included office suite on a windows computer, i think it was a 60 day trial, and I even want to say it wasn't the full version.... could be wrong. Libre Office was installed right away :)
;) :D
I think Computing has gone ahead of Operating System Wars :) .
I can operate either of three Options with equal finesse (OSX,Windows,Linux) .Each has it's own strengths,weakness and solutions .
Whatever gets the job done at a particular moment is the OS of day/month/year/millennium :D.
DwMCABvdLg1gGuMAglgEuMIhlgAsMYhngAoNYBrjAIJYBLjCIZYALDGIZ4AKDWAa4wCCWAS4wiGWACwxiGeACg1gGuMAglgEuMIhlgAsMYhnggv8Sy2w2zzFgQCVA7TUrLS1lBgyoitLS0v8AajqSNvbc+1sAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
mac_pc.png

xkcd: Mac/PC

Upvote 0
It's been the YEAR OF LINUX apparently since 2004.. still pitiful desktop user adoption.
Yes, Android is spreading Linux to the average civilian, but while maybe 35% of people I'd know have Androids, less then 10% of people I know have heard of Linux.
The thing is, as long as Windows is sold on 95% (or whatever) of desktop systems (incl laptops), Linux will never get the marketshare of even OSX. Another factor is that Microsoft has monopolies on everything - including education. Everyone is educated via Windows, educated about using Word, Excel, Powerpoint and IE. The majority of non third level teachers responsible for teaching IT in schools have no idea about computer software - I mean nothing. Governments need to back Linux to break Microsofts monopoly - but politicians are in MS's pocket (largely via jobs created by MS), and thus action is only ever taken by non national level governments or the odd developing country.

I should point out I myself use Ubuntu 11.10, and any version of Windows pales in comparison for me personally. It feels a better OS, Windows is too disjointed. Its like a building that's been added to over time, but the foundations were never any good.

Upvote 0
It's been the YEAR OF LINUX apparently since 2004.. still pitiful desktop user adoption.
Yes, Android is spreading Linux to the average civilian, but while maybe 35% of people I'd know have Androids, less then 10% of people I know have heard of Linux.
The thing is, as long as Windows is sold on 95% (or whatever) of desktop systems (incl laptops), Linux will never get the marketshare of even OSX. Another factor is that Microsoft has monopolies on everything - including education. Everyone is educated via Windows, educated about using Word, Excel, Powerpoint and IE. The majority of non third level teachers responsible for teaching IT in schools have no idea about computer software - I mean nothing. Governments need to back Linux to break Microsofts monopoly - but politicians are in MS's pocket (largely via jobs created by MS), and thus action is only ever taken by non national level governments or the odd developing country.

I should point out I myself use Ubuntu 11.10, and any version of Windows pales in comparison for me personally. It feels a better OS, Windows is too disjointed. Its like a building that's been added to over time, but the foundations were never any good.

Why does MS's monopoly need to be broken up? It's a natural monopoly. The feds have determined they didn't come to it by illegal means (for the most part) and consumer's aren't complaining. There are a million reasons why Linux has never gained traction on the desktop. It's not like it's a vastly superior OS in every way and there's a conspiracy to keep it covered up.

Reactions: Sulfur
Upvote 0
Why does MS's monopoly need to be broken up? It's a natural monopoly. The feds have determined they didn't come to it by illegal means (for the most part) and consumer's aren't complaining. There are a million reasons why Linux has never gained traction on the desktop. It's not like it's a vastly superior OS in every way and there's a conspiracy to keep it covered up.
Not broken up - just room made for healthy competition. As it is MS has most manafacturers under their thumb. The browser choice screen was an excellent example of the government stepping in a simple and effective way to increase competition. Doubt IE9 would be so good without it.

Maybe your feds have not went after Microsoft, but the EC has; European Union Microsoft competition case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, and continues too. Still, they have only taken small steps. Competition is the hallmark and source of success of capitalism, it must be encouraged to a reasonable extent.

Upvote 0
Not broken up - just room made for healthy competition. As it is MS has most manafacturers under their thumb. The browser choice screen was an excellent example of the government stepping in a simple and effective way to increase competition. Doubt IE9 would be so good without it.

Maybe your feds have not went after Microsoft, but the EC has; European Union Microsoft competition case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, and continues too. Still, they have only taken small steps. Competition is the hallmark and source of success of capitalism, it must be encouraged to a reasonable extent.

Remember when netbooks came out? A lot of them came with Linux on them. Consumers took them home, turned them on and promptly boxed them up and took them back to the store. No one wanted a netbook with Linux on it. Now netbooks come with XP or Win7 on them. Neither XP nor Win7 run particularly well on netbooks due to the hardware limitations. Linux runs much better on them. No question about it. Consumers do not want it. There's room for OEMs to roll out Linux. Consumers don't want it. You can order computers that come with Linux installed. No one wants them.

Upvote 0
Remember when netbooks came out? A lot of them came with Linux on them. Consumers took them home, turned them on and promptly boxed them up and took them back to the store. No one wanted a netbook with Linux on it. Now netbooks come with XP or Win7 on them. Neither XP nor Win7 run particularly well on netbooks due to the hardware limitations. Linux runs much better on them. No question about it. Consumers do not want it. There's room for OEMs to roll out Linux. Consumers don't want it. You can order computers that come with Linux installed. No one wants them.

tbf, netbooks are generally bought by the least knowledgable section of the market, who break down when not familiar with something. When all people know is Windows, its no surprise.

Upvote 0
Except for the most popular games, Photoshop, and machine embroidery software - Linux does do almost everything.

I think the main problem is - you can make your own decisions about which software you want. Linux doesn't force every choice on you. I bet people are too damn lazy to deal with this. Mac is always advertised as working right out of the box, and MS is trying to do the same.

I'd rather have the choices. I've tried most of the video editing programs, all free, easy to install and uninstall and coming from the software center, no adware, nagware, and probably no malware.

Upvote 0
I don't know who, what, when or why those mfgs. decided to put some crippled version of any linux distro on netbooks from the beginning. Who ever heard of Linpus Linux, instead of installing Fedora or Redhat. Some even used Xandros who I believe is out of business at the time.

At a press conference sponsored by TAITRA, the Taiwan trade authority, a question was asked to executive director Walter Yeh about where Linux went on netbooks.
He passed the question to Li Chang, vice president of the Taipei Computer Association.
Chang mentioned a press conference yesterday where Google announced an Android phone to be made by Acer. But then he put it straight.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones