1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

230(or all ICS) Incompatible with Beautiful Widgets

1. chmodx

chmodx Well-Known Member

Say it ain't so...needed to use the toggle widgets and can't add them, not in the widgets menu anywhere. This is no bueno!

Advertisement
    :
  2. dautley

dautley VIP Member VIP Member

3. chmodx

chmodx Well-Known Member

I noticed GPS can't be toggled in ICS, except for the Power control widget. I wanted to use a 1x1, not a 4x1 for quick activation of navigation.

My dilemma is this--leave gps on all the time or have to go into settings everytime I use navigation?

I've heard mixed things, like gps being on all the time doesn't affect battery, except when it's being utilized by an application, otherwise it's on but just in standby(not doing anything).

Can anyone confirm this?
  4. Groid

Groid Well-Known Member

I think if you look deeper into the toggles in the ICS pulldown there is one for gps. You don't need a widget. I leave mine off unless I'm doing something that specifically requires gps.
  5. mhome

mhome Well-Known Member

I use power control, but just tried the BW wifi toggle, worked for me.

Open app drawer, select widgets, find the toggle you need and long press to add to home screen.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean?

Reboot?

edit: after a closer look wifi toggle is the only one there, hmmm

edit again: When you long press the one toggle widget in the menu, it prompts you to select what the widget will be used for (wifi, gps, ....)
  6. chmodx

chmodx Well-Known Member

I was unable to add ANY of Beautiful widgets. I rebooted, and now I'm able to add them.

However, GPS only takes you to the gps settings, does not actually toggle it on/off.
  7. dautley

Never mind, looked again and the Beautiful Toggle Widget is showing up for me after all, I just overlooked it the first time:)
    [​IMG]
  8. dautley

I haven't found a way to toggle GPS on and off without going through the settings with any app. I guess it's a "security feature".
    johnlgalt likes this.
  9. wildkitten

wildkitten Well-Known Member

I think it's true that the GPS doesn't draw a lot of power when it's on unless it's being used, but so many apps start by themselves, especially Social Networking apps which will use the GPS that honestly, the safe assumption is to assume it will be a big drain on the battery.
  10. x026092

x026092 Well-Known Member

I leave mine on unless I am on an airplane or really need to conserve the battery usage. I was never a real battery hog to me.
  11. Duckster

Duckster Well-Known Member

I live mine on all the time. I'm in and out of the country A LOT and the GPS still works without any visible effects on the battery or data. I also leave it on in airplane mode and I can easily get 3 days out of using my phone for games, pictures, etc without having to recharge.
  12. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

I was about to say - I've used BW on ever BIONIC ICS Leak and it always worked - but I never use GPS toggle - I have 4 batteries for that lol...
  13. SirEagle

SirEagle Well-Known Member

14. chmodx

chmodx Well-Known Member

I tried the root one already, no go. I have to easy, google makes good products, but the GPS toggle issue in ics is one if the dumbest things ever.
  15. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

The issue may be that the toggles are made for GB and lower, and in ICS the framework has changed so that the switch simply does not work anymore.

This will require a rewrite by the developers.