• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

24 hours later still 50% charge

After news of Facebook app being blamed for the iPhone's excessive battery consumption, I decided to test this on my S3. Prior to this, I had a number of unused services disabled and I have no particular battery issues to complain about.

So yesterday, at 10am I removed Facebook app followed by a quick charge to bring it to 100%. At 10.30am I unplugged the phone and began monitoring the phone via its stock battery meter. Exactly 24 hours later, the phone had 50% battery left and it looked as though it could last another 24 hours (still monitoring at the time I'm typing this).

Instead of reinstalling Facebook app, I now run it via the web browser and added a link to the Home screen. I don't play games on the phone and use it primarily for Whatsapp, SMS, camera.

Hope this is good news. Upside of running FB via web is you get the comment edit function. Downside is you cannot upload multiple images at one go.

Great battery life can be achieved if we manage sync options correctly and don't allow the phone to constantly try and access the internet.

Attachments

• 2013-03-31 08.10.11 (360x640).jpg
    2013-03-31 08.10.11 (360x640).jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 75
Upvote 0
No need to root phone to stop every app from running on the background.
Go to settings> Mobile Data > Tap on Facebook > Restrict background data.
You won't get instant notifications, obviously, but it will stop draining your battery.

If you just want to simply stop facebook from your phone.
Go to settings > Apps > Facebook > Disable
(app will not open up)

When I monitor apps and I only use the ones I wish. My battery lasts 12-14 hours of use (Chat, browsing)

I have a LG Optimus LG 4X HD (2150Amp):)

Upvote 0
No need to root phone to stop every app from running on the background.
Go to settings> Mobile Data > Tap on Facebook > Restrict background data.
You won't get instant notifications, obviously, but it will stop draining your battery.

If you just want to simply stop facebook from your phone.
Go to settings > Apps > Facebook > Disable
(app will not open up)

When I monitor apps and I only use the ones I wish. My battery lasts 12-14 hours of use (Chat, browsing)

I have a LG Optimus LG 4X HD (2150Amp):)

Wrong forum I think? This is about a galaxy S3. Before realizing you were talking about settings on your LG phone I tried your method. There is no option to do what you describe as far as restricting data on the S3. At least not how you describe.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones