3.5mm jack

Last Updated:

1. Yugami

Yugami Active Member This Topic's Starter

The jack on this phone is shit. Fragile as hell...

Edit:

Alright, sorry guys. This was mainly a troll post to see if other people were having problems. I posted this from my phone when I was in my car and experienced crackling, which I never experienced with the Hero. I was freaked out because streaming music and playing music in my car is one of my primary uses for my phone.

I was worried that the jack was the problem because it did feel a little bit looser than my Hero. I have determined that this was not the problem. The problem is when you have media volume turned to max on the Droid. For me it crackles. Can other people confirm this?

The Droid has a louder output than the Hero. I would estimate that the Droid with the media volume three clicks lower is the same as the Hero on max. I tested for the crackle and it does not happen as long as I am one tick below maximum media volume.

Overall I'm relieved and satisfied with the phone now because I can play at the same volume without the crackle as I could with my Hero. It only crackles on max volume which won't be an issue, but I think this is something that should be fixed.

Advertisement
  2. tpriddy

tpriddy Well-Known Member

What happened?

3. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

Me guesses someone stuck the jack in... and then slapped his hand across the jack somehow and now it no longer works properly?

4. Yugami

Been using a cord to hook up the phone in my car. Used the hero for a couple weeks in the same fashion and it has a nice sturdy connection. After one day of use with this phone the cord is wiggling in the jack and causing a crackly output.

5. OctoMom

OctoMom Well-Known Member

That sucks. Frankly I have never had good luckk (long term) with any device and 3.5mm jacks but one day is worse than I've ever had.

6. Yugami

Bump to share this issue.

7. wsbsteven

wsbsteven Well-Known Member

I use the jack all the time and it works perfectly.

8. Polymira

Polymira Well-Known Member

i get the crackle too, was thinking about exchanging it .. only notice it in my car, not so much on headphones .. likely because i don't listen to it max volume on headphones, only the car.

9. mkibrick

mkibrick Well-Known Member

Figured out today when I was using my Droid in the car that you cannot leave the media player at the highest volume while listening to it on a better set of speakers. Specifically, I heard a clicking noise where there should have been drum beats. It was cleared up after I turned the Media Volume down two notches and the car speakers up. I'm guessing it's a software issue to compensate for the Droid's speaker.

10. someguy9

someguy9 Well-Known Member

I have the same issue, as long as other people have the same problem I'm fine with it... it's hard to replace my Zune for audio with this issue

11. scorrpio

scorrpio Well-Known Member

While the jack on my Droid does feel fairly loose, the sound is crisp and clear. FWIW, the jack on my iPod Classic is rock solid, after 2+ years of use, not even a tiny bit loose.

12. someguy9

someguy9 Well-Known Member

have you tried the sound on bigger speakers? that seems to cause the issues

13. scorrpio

scorrpio Well-Known Member

A headphone output and a line-level output are different things. What volume level do you set your Droid to when connecting to the stereo?

14. johninbigd

johninbigd Well-Known Member

OP, it sounds to me like the output on the Droid is a bit hotter than what your input circuitry is designed to handle. That crackling you're hearing is the Droid sending a really hot (loud) signal and it's overdriving the input circuitry in your radio. Just turn the Droid down a bit. If it goes away, that's you're problem.