3.5mm to 2.5mm converter questionSupport

Last Updated:

1. gregg098

gregg098 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I have a wired headset that I would like to use with my Droid, but it has a 2.5mm connector. If I buy a converter, should I buy one with the 4 bars on the connector or 3? I know thats not the proper term, but Im not sure what the segments on the connectors are called.

Advertisement
  2. tranzz

tranzz Well-Known Member

I'm not sure, but I'd guess that the 4-bar would work in more situations. If you get it at a Radio Shack or a Verizon store they'll most likely test it out before you give 'em your $$, or at least take it back and refund you right there.

The 4th conductor is for the microphone lead on headsets with a mic.

3. BottledHate

BottledHate Well-Known Member

3 bars... ground, left, right.

4 bars... ground, left, right, mic.

4. gregg098

gregg098 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Im confused now. I tested a 3 bar and 4 bar and only the 3 bar version worked. But based on responses, the 4 bar should work?

BTW, the little headset I have has 3 bars. Im guessing I just have to match bars to bars??

5. tranzz

tranzz Well-Known Member

"Should", remember what your Dad told you about that whole idea?

Yeah, well something else I almost mentioned above is the "detent". Sometimes the plug may not be fully inserted when you feel a false "detent", sometimes you can push the plug in "too far" also. Those factors are less noticeable with fewer segments on the plug shaft.

I'm glad you were able to try them both out fairly soon and easily. Buying things online will never replace going to places where you can see, touch, and try stuff out.

6. BottledHate

BottledHate Well-Known Member