3.7" > 4.x" ?General

Last Updated:

1. ChuckFarley

ChuckFarley Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just got my hands on an EVO, and yeah, it's a pretty nice looking device. A little fat. But the screen...!? I mean the size of this thing is a little ridiculous in my opinion. The Inc is a good size bigger than my last phone (ENV2...stop laughing), but I couldn't imagine carrying around that EVO in my front pocket. Now buy a case, and you might as well buy a purse with it. I'm just saying, 3.7 for a screen is about my limit. I'm not a tight jeans wearing type of guys, but in a pair of slacks or my Levi's the Inc takes up all the realestate without looking like I'm happy to see everyone.

Wish your Inc had a bigger screen? Thoughts?

Advertisement
    NightAngel79, GrandMasterB and Rdjr74 like this.
  2. Vaseline Smith

Vaseline Smith Well-Known Member

My buddy has an EVO and I hate it, I should be able to to do things on it with one hand and I cant its to bulky and heavy and overall a bad size. love the DINC.

3. irishpride

irishpride Well-Known Member

I actually do wish my Inc had a bigger screen. I've been looking for an Android tablet(to watch movies) for a while now and after playing with the Evo, I think it works as a big phone that doubles as a smaller tablet. I'm actually thinking about selling my Inc to get the Droid X when it comes out.

4. Fuzzy_Dunlop

Fuzzy_Dunlop Member

One isn't better than the other. It's a matter of opinion. The resolution is the same on both devices, so personally I'd rather have a smaller phone.

5. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

I'll be 52 in August. Therefore, reading small things becomes a bit problematic. After my DInc, my next phone's going to be bigger for better reading. I have no trouble browsing because of multi-touch expansion, but not all programs have it.

6. Ryd1ZZ

Ryd1ZZ Well-Known Member

Have you seen the apad? My buddy at work got one and it's pretty cool for a couple hundred bucks. I'm sure there will be much better ones soon though.

7. silverxbv2

silverxbv2 Well-Known Member

Hella funny. Inc is plenty big.

8. ChuckFarley

Not for nothing, but you're asking for two different things from a single device. Portable, but big. For me the EVO is too big to be hauling around. My cousin just got an EVO but she's got a purse to tote it around in. I was very happy watching Breaking Bad at work today on my "small" 3.7 screen. Hell, I remember watching shows and movies on my iPod classic and enjoying it. For me, the benefit is having a device on me all the time, that does damn near everything, and not feel burdened by it. I think the Droid x is even bigger than the EVO, and since Moto made it out of metal, it's going to be a brick.

It's starting to feel like the battle of the blades with shaving razors. Get the new Razor X! Now with 9 blades...

9. Blackrad11

Blackrad11 Well-Known Member

if you are looking for a movie/internet/mp3 player then look at the archos i have the archos 7 which is a 7 inch touch screen they have a 5 inch with 360 gigs of mem just a thought

10. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

I am consistently made fun of by my coworkers, one who has the HD2, one who just got an EVO, and one who is sure they are getting the X. Call me "3.7", and I don't even have the phone yet. I have to say, 4.3 is really nice, and the EVO fit in my pocket pretty well, it is not THAT much bigger than the Incredible. I would definitely jump on it if it were on Verizon.

11. ChuckFarley

Sounds like the peer pressure is really getting to you. :p I'll give it to you, the screen does look nice, and to be fair I didn't spend all day with it. Still, my opinion stands. 3.7 ftw.

NightAngel79 likes this.
  12. xAGx

xAGx Member

I think the Incredible's size is fine. I mean, I'd love for it to be like 4.0" inches, but only if the resolution was increased as well. I think anything above 4 inches is just getting a bit excessive for a phone.

13. 34.50

34.50 Well-Known Member

3.2"-3.7" is the perfect size. 4.0"+ is way too big, it looks like you're holding up a brick to your face.

14. nav525

nav525 Member

The one problem with the Incredible screen size for me is that I wish it was a little wider. Although it's a 3.7 inch screen, the iphone's 3.5 inch screen is wider (and shorter obviously). A little extra width goes a long way in typing. I've held the EVO and I honestly don't think it's too big. I'm a guy with below average to average size hands but I could see how it might be too big for a woman with smaller hands. 4 inches seems like it would be the perfect size for me. The 4 inch super amoled screen on the galaxy s would be heaven.

15. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

This, I like the Dinc. I really wish the sceeen just a little wider though :(

16. yuk0nxl1

yuk0nxl1 Member

The Evo and the Droid X are way too big for me!

I held off ordering a DInc after I saw the pics for the Droid X, but knowing it is about the same size as the Evo, I wanted to see what it felt in size . While I do not mind my phones to be a little thick, I love the way the Blackberrys feel in my hand just not how they operate/work, but the Evo was WAY too wide. I can see the Evo 2/ Droid X2 being the size of the iPad. LOL DInc is way more functional overall as a CELL PHONE.

When it comes to electronic devices that I do not plan to store in my pocket, BIGGER IS BETTER!

17. MutantCheese

MutantCheese Well-Known Member

bigger the screen, the easier to crack or scratch.

18. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

IMO, 3.9 to 4 inches would be perfect, but I prefer 3.7 over 4.3, due to EVO being more awkward using just one hand. Not to mention the LCD on the EVO seems weak compared to the Inc. It must be the particular type used on the EVO, because the Moto Droid looks much better too and is LCD like EVO.

"Beer", it's what's for dinner.

19. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

I have the Archo 5, great for video, but the audio quality is infamously bad. Worse sounding and weakest output device I have ever owned. The audio quality is a notorious ding on all newer Archos products.

Music fans should avoid.

"Beer", it's what's for dinner.

20. AirBlizzard

AirBlizzard New Member

My friend got the HD2 and I was playing with it for an about an hour before she took it back; after a few minutes with it, it doesn't even seem that big anymore. Now, I was only using it browse the web, mess with apps and watch movies, but I think it'd be great to have a screen that size.

But only if I had a purse to store it in. The DInc's size is better than me cause it'll actually fit in my pocket. If I was a woman however...

21. VegasOnAcid

VegasOnAcid Well-Known Member

This is surely a preference thing. I hate things in my pockets... Incredible with seidio is really my limit I think... I usually just hold it.. (probably cause I am always using it.) I really love the direction smart phones are going... but on the other hand I really miss the super small and slim nokia phones.

22. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

I always get the belt clip anyway so im not worried about size and i think the bigger screen on the X is gonna lead me to buy it and the build quality for Motorola is usually sturdier than HTC IMO. The incredible screen is good size though I wouldn't make it any bigger for that particular phone

23. ChuckFarley

I think you might be in the minority with the belt clip, but whatever works for you. I just know if I had my phone on my hip it wouldn't take long before it got caught on something and ended up on the ground.
    Moto's build quality is good, but there's a price you pay in heft. Where some see lesser build quality in HTC, I see a company who listened to the consumers complaining about the weight of the original Droid and providing a light, sturdy, well designed device. Just my opinion, and I might be a little biased, but even with all the news of new devices coming out I still see the Inc as the perfect balance in size, weight, and ability.

24. Bulldog

Bulldog Well-Known Member

I'd take up to a 5" screen no problem...IF they design it as they should with a minimalistic bezel. The Evo is barely any larger than the Inc and I love that. And yes I've used it...4 guys at work have them. I'd rock a Streak too.

25. ChuckFarley

Are you high?