3 character search terms

Last Updated: 2012-10-06 22:21:15
  1. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I understand why 3 character search terms can be a heavy load but with terms such as "mac" and "usb", this makes search pretty ineffective.

Is there a way to override this for certain keywords?

Advertisement
  2. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

I was annoyed the other day that an error code I was searching on was ignored because it was only 3 digits...
    SUroot likes this.
  3. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

I had changed this to three. It is now back at four, so I can only assume Rob changed it during his effort to reduce load. I will need to run changing it back past him. I don't always for all things that I am more convinced is less of a big deal - but this one might actually be.

So... Let me speak with him..
    NightAngel79, Hadron and SUroot like this.
  4. SUroot

Thanks, I appreciate this is more than a minor change.

Its disregarded even when used in conjunction with other words so "mac transfer" becomes "transfer". Even if there was a wsy to put it in quotation marks...
  5. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Are you sure about that? Quotation marks seem to work properly for me, even on 1-3 character words.

EDIT: Perhaps it is different for staff, I don't know.
  6. SUroot

I'm not sure what you're asking if I am sure about. To be clear, my use of quotation marks in the above post was to signify my search term and is not actually part of the search term.

However, if even if I use quotation marks in the search term like below:

"mac transfer"
    becomes "mac*transfer" and returns no matches.

"mac" transfer
    returns matches only for "transfer"**

"mac"
    returns no matches.

** includes threads that have "mac" in the title so these threads DO exist. Its just lucky it has the word transfer in the title, or it wouldn't be found.
  7. Xyro

Ah, yeah, I did think you were including the quotation marks as part of the search.

I tried it by copy and pasting your search terms and I got different results to you.

"mac transfer"
    [​IMG]
    Lots of spammers that slipped through the cracks, as it happens. I'll clean that up later

"mac" transfer
    No results

"mac"
    No results

Very odd :confused:
  8. SUroot

Yeah that is odd. Maybe 3 chars are ok for staff? Little load for the greater good ;)
  9. Xyro

Actually, I tried it via a 0 post, non-premium, non-staff account and got the same results. That's the one I took the screenshot with, otherwise all of the deleted copies of that spam would show up too.
  10. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

I've gotten nowhere with 3 letter searches.

I've turned to Google and prefix my search with the site, like this -

site:androidforums.com mac gps
  11. SUroot

Yep I'm aware of this but it gets tricky when you want to search a specific sub forum
  12. SUroot

Odd. Can't reproduce